Cant stop

Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant stop

Can't stop

Trying to but i cant
Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you can't get to a detox then Id say try to taper down today and drink less than you did yesterday. You can come out of this.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard, but you can do it.

What have you tried so far, and what can you add to your recovery program that you haven't tried yet?
Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there,

You can, even though it seems impossible right now.
Are you fighting the urge to drink or are you drinking now?

This moment right here can be the beginning of a new life.
Give yourself the gift of freedom!

Old 11-28-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It’s entirely possible.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Greatinquiry, quitting permanently is hard but it is do-able. You need to analyse what it will take to neutralise those times of the day when you most want to drink. For me that meant getting up at zero dark thirty, jogging and going to bed real early to avoid the cravings. Other people have been successful using different methods but the key is to find the right thing for you. You can do it.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi Greatinquiry, quitting permanently is hard but it is do-able. You need to analyse what it will take to neutralise those times of the day when you most want to drink. For me that meant getting up at zero dark thirty, jogging and going to bed real early to avoid the cravings. Other people have been successful using different methods but the key is to find the right thing for you. You can do it.
I'm always amazed by former alcoholics who can simply quit and begin exercising. I take my hat off to you.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can stop, you just haven't yet.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was drinking 'round the clock when I came here, GI. No one is hopeless or beyond help. Please keep reading & posting. It's overwhelming in the beginning, but each day it gets a little easier. We're here to encourage you.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I'm always amazed by former alcoholics who can simply quit and begin exercising. I take my hat off to you.
It's not as simple as you think. I think it takes a lot of work to quit drinking, then get into an exercising regime. It really comes down to a determination to quit a really bad habit and begin a new healthy one. Most people can do it if they make their minds to do it. Very hard, but has been done by many people. John
Old 11-28-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello, GreatInquiry. You most certainly can stop. So many of us here were seemingly hopeless cases--when I completed rehab my counselor said that he had never seen anyone so near death as I was when I entered, and he was an old-timer recovering alcoholic himself with many years of experience--talk about a sobering statement. The thing is, I didn't give up. Some tiny spark of sanity deep inside me wanted to live. You've got that spark too, or I don't think you'd be here.
The answer is simple yet hard--don't drink, and be willing to do whatever it takes to get sober. This is an excellent place for advice and support, with wonderful people who know exactly what's up. SR has been an integral part of my recovery, and I hope you investigate different recovery methods and find one that works for you--we want to help.
Wishing you all the best--you CAN do this!
Old 11-28-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great Inquiry - sorry I meant to reply to your opening post earlier. I have been trying to stop for approximately seventeen years, during which time I have had some limited success - spells of 9 months, 6 months and several weeks, plus for a couple of years I would have one absolute bender per month (though that gradually became weekly and ultimately nightly).

I have stopped now because the psychological effects have become intolerable. Even when I was drinking I was having panic attacks. My body's said "enough!"

If you don't stop you will almost certainly die prematurely due to an associated disease, a drunken accident, and you will likely begin to suffer from hangovers, embarrassment, depression/anxiety, financial problems and your professional and private relationships will likely deteriorate.

I strongly suggest you seek professional help. You obviously want to stop, the question is how much? Nobody can stop for you, sadly.

Best wishes for the future and God bless you.

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
It's not as simple as you think. I think it takes a lot of work to quit drinking, then get into an exercising regime. It really comes down to a determination to quit a really bad habit and begin a new healthy one. Most people can do it if they make their minds to do it. Very hard, but has been done by many people. John
Hi John! Thanks for replying. It is hard. I'm trying just now. Did you manage to keep yourself fit during your drinking years, or did you just start to get fit once you stopped?
Old 11-28-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GI

What kind of things have you tried recently to help you stop?

D
Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It was barely above walking pace to begin with and it often was just brisk walking rather than running. The idea was that doing that, followed up by a days work meant I could barely keep my eyes open beyond 9pm - which was great as that was my peak craving time.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great Inquiry - sorry I meant to reply to your opening post earlier. I have been trying to stop for approximately seventeen years, during which time I have had some limited success - spells of 9 months, 6 months and several weeks, plus for a couple of years I would have one absolute bender per month (though that gradually became weekly and ultimately nightly).

I have stopped now because the psychological effects have become intolerable. Even when I was drinking I was having panic attacks. My body's said "enough!"

If you don't stop you will almost certainly die prematurely due to an associated disease, a drunken accident, and you will likely begin to suffer from hangovers, embarrassment, depression/anxiety, financial problems and your professional and private relationships will likely deteriorate.

I strongly suggest you seek professional help. You obviously want to stop, the question is how much? Nobody can stop for you, sadly.

Best wishes for the future and God bless you.

Hi John! Thanks for replying. It is hard. I'm trying just now. Did you manage to keep yourself fit during your drinking years, or did you just start to get fit once you stopped?
Many years ago, I used to be able to drink like a fish and be able to hit the gym. That slowly changed where drinking was getting in the way of staying fit. I can't stand being out of shape, especially watching my gut grow LOL, so I had to make a decision. Heavy drinking and staying in shape just doesn't work. John
Old 11-29-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going GI?

D
Old 11-29-2019, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It was barely above walking pace to begin with and it often was just brisk walking rather than running. The idea was that doing that, followed up by a days work meant I could barely keep my eyes open beyond 9pm - which was great as that was my peak craving time.
That makes sense. Were you able to increase the pace so that you were eventually jogging?

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Many years ago, I used to be able to drink like a fish and be able to hit the gym. That slowly changed where drinking was getting in the way of staying fit. I can't stand being out of shape, especially watching my gut grow LOL, so I had to make a decision. Heavy drinking and staying in shape just doesn't work. John
Me, too. I am out of shape now, weighing in at 15 stone (210 lbs or 95 kg). I need to lose 3 stone, but that's not my main concern now.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

support to you, GI
Old 11-30-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hoping you'll post again and let us know how it's going, GI. We care.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Still here