Notices

Thankful

Old 11-28-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thankful

Last night my family and I had a good night. I prepped food to bring today and got us all ready (bathed, ironed clothes, made a check list, etc) I also did a few small projects around the house (organizing a cabinet, stuff like that)
little one woke up and made her a quick breakfast. (One of Her favorites that we don’t have in the house often-a plain bagel with cream cheese, toasted!) I am enjoying my hot coffee that I prepped last night to go off this morning.

these things would not have happened successfully if I had drank.

Though, trying to sleep last night, I did have a small panic attack but I think it’s because I stayed up later than usual. Hopefully the therapist that said they can get me in in January works out to discuss some of my other issues besides the drinking (which are likely triggers too)

woke up feeling better though and I have one more dish I need to prep. My hair curler is heating while we sit together, she’s watching a tv show and I’m just .. sitting! It feels good to sit clear headed. Also feels good to have ample time-no sleeping in for me!

so many thanksgiving eves I spent drunk and feeling like absolutely trash in the morning. I remember one in particular , I think it was 2013, that I drank so much and I slept on the bedroom floor. My husband and I got in a huge fight and we had to go to his grandmothers thanksgiving morning. Huge fight pooled into the next day, of course. So I felt physically and mentally sick, looked horrible, and all in all, it was a sh!t day.

so today I am looking forward to enjoying it sober, spending quality time with my family, getting dressed up, eating good food and relaxing.

I have already told the host I would be bringing sparkling cider so fingers crossed the wine is not even offered to me.

Enjoy the day everyone. And thank you to all
of you.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too lisalilly

D
Old 11-28-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! Sounds like you have much to be thankful for.

And you reminded me of something I’m thankful for - programmable coffee makers! I’ve had one for almost a year now. It was my Christmas present last year from my partner. Every day, I marvel at feeling like Judy Jetson with a machine that makes coffee for me before I’m even awake.

Enjoy your day with your family.

xoxo-b
Old 11-28-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

There are trigger times for me and this time of the year is one of them. I accept the suffering as part of my life. I have changed my lifestyle. I am a strong mature born again non drinker. I am not a prude about it. I can't handle drinking anymore.

I drank to celebrate my successes for decades. I drank for every occasion really, good, bad, and neutral. But, the holidays towards the end of my drinking days became pretty much drunk 24/7.

The dopamine I now get from just being in the xmas spirit, had been altered by my decades of drinking. So without drinking, I didn't feel right.

Now, I feel right. It took dozens of clean events to find and feel better. While healing during those those times I suffered.

It was/is my only way out. I dug a hole.

These days, I feel good nearly always. Never giving that up. Booze will take that away. Guaranteed. I have read it here, over and over. Don't need to see if I am special. I am not.

I will go insane again if I relapse. This time I probably won't be able to pull out of the death spiral. Don't need that. This is a serious as a heart attack.

Anyway, I always have coffee in the am too. It is one of my new doc.

Today I am blessed to spend time with my wife's friends. We see them just a few times a year and they are always so wonderful to me and the family.

There will be booze. Some folks there will drink no booze, some will get very intoxicated. 3 years ago, the drinkers basically mentally attacked me to get me to drink a shot of expensive scotch. I didn't want to make a scene, it was sort of a scene. I gave in and regretted it. But, I only had a teeny sip and didn't drink anything since then.

Sr folks talked to me here and I got all sorts of direct and indirect feedback on this and that. Yay. This place helps keep me sober. The internet saved my life. Funny but true.

Anyway...

Since then it goes like this. Hey guys lets do a toast. D122y you still don't drink? I say yep. It is over. I have a back up defense of saying I can't drink because of my medication. I take lisonpril for bp.

Sure it gets a bit awkward, but I can handle a little awkward for some delicious food and fun. No biggie. Life of an ex drinker. They can whisper I am an alky all day. In my book, even normies are addicted. Take away their booze for a few occasions and watch them stress. So whatever.

During this time, some folks are pretty much like I was...drunk all the time. So i see them down 3 glasses of wine with little effect. Others are very moderate, drinking half a glass and leaving the rest

What is the point of half a glass of wine. It just alters my natural dopamine etc. Don't need that.

Anyway, hope my therapy session here helps you or someone else.

You got this!

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely post. Have a great day
Old 11-28-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lisalily View Post
Last night my family and I had a good night. I prepped food to bring today and got us all ready (bathed, ironed clothes, made a check list, etc) I also did a few small projects around the house (organizing a cabinet, stuff like that)
little one woke up and made her a quick breakfast. (One of Her favorites that we don’t have in the house often-a plain bagel with cream cheese, toasted!) I am enjoying my hot coffee that I prepped last night to go off this morning.

these things would not have happened successfully if I had drank.

Though, trying to sleep last night, I did have a small panic attack but I think it’s because I stayed up later than usual. Hopefully the therapist that said they can get me in in January works out to discuss some of my other issues besides the drinking (which are likely triggers too)

woke up feeling better though and I have one more dish I need to prep. My hair curler is heating while we sit together, she’s watching a tv show and I’m just .. sitting! It feels good to sit clear headed. Also feels good to have ample time-no sleeping in for me!

so many thanksgiving eves I spent drunk and feeling like absolutely trash in the morning. I remember one in particular , I think it was 2013, that I drank so much and I slept on the bedroom floor. My husband and I got in a huge fight and we had to go to his grandmothers thanksgiving morning. Huge fight pooled into the next day, of course. So I felt physically and mentally sick, looked horrible, and all in all, it was a sh!t day.

so today I am looking forward to enjoying it sober, spending quality time with my family, getting dressed up, eating good food and relaxing.

I have already told the host I would be bringing sparkling cider so fingers crossed the wine is not even offered to me.

Enjoy the day everyone. And thank you to all
of you.

Happy Thanksgiving. It sounds to me like this will be a wonderful day for you and the true spirit of being grateful.

I myself am grateful that I am not sick /hungover/ashamed.
Today is a great day to be present and to just be.
you sound really great. A day at a time you are finding the peace and confidence in yourself. Thinking it through what alcohol did to us and the feelings it brought 2013.

I hope you have a fabulous day.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautiful. What a difference sobriety makes!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have a lovely day! xx
Old 11-28-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Until 6 years ago, I spent over 4 decades making Thanks Giving a 4 day binge.
Hangovers were just a normal part of life, to be lessened with more booze and drugs. I never gave it much thoughts. I felt better/happier when drunk so I did.
I essentially traded a few hours of happiness for 10 hours of pain unless I got drunk again. When I step out of myself and look back at this type of behavior, I see the insanity. I drank and did drugs because I was a product of the addictive belief system. I thought life should be, fair, easy and painless and I should always get what I want. When life was not this way, I drank and did drugs to regain control of how I was feeling. It was a learned behavior that started in High School to social anxiety. We all want to experience happiness in our lives, we want to be in control, because the perception of control, makes us feel good.

Today, I am a new creation. I regain control of my feelings/emotions with empowering Christ Driven Behavior, that honors God. While still imperfect, I try and conduct my life with the character, conduct and conversation of Jesus Christ. Getting drunk is not a viable option I want or need anymore.

You don't have to believe in God to empower yourself and regain control of your emotions. You just have to find healthy values, change your thinking and change your life. Find something in life that is of high value to you, that empowers you to regain control of your feeling or emotions!

If you choose a genuine personal relationship with Christ, you learn new values. ​​While there are many secular approaches to resolving addictive behavior, the ultimate, empowering and truly unique solution, only comes from God, with an indwelling and seminal psychotherapist and psychoanalyst (Paraclete/Mentor John 14:16) and He’s freely provided it to every one at this site. “He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless” (Isaiah 40:29). ​"His grace is sufficient for us, for there is power in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9-10. When we learn to empower ourselves, we become New Creations. 2 Corinthians 5: 17

I'm grateful to be alive and have new values and purpose in life.
As corny as it sounds, I can get high off of life, dealing with adversity in healthy ways. This is going to be great Thanksgiving.

Thanks to SR for letting me share.