Notices

Struggling tonight

Old 11-24-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling tonight

I’ve been drinking way to much lately. Had a wedding last night and probably had 20 drinks throughout day and night. Really wanted to abstain today but I’m struggling. Feel like a few beers would help with this withdrawal.

also very conflicted over the whole thing. I don’t want to stop drinking, but want to stop the bad parts. This struggle has gone on for 26 years
Old 11-24-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tobo

Like you I didnlt wnat ti stop drinking but U just wanted the bad pars to stop. Unfortunately the bad parts were always a part of the drinking for me because I am an alcoholic.

I changed when I drank -all my good intentions went out the window and I become someone I didn't like doing thing I was ashamed of later.

I was always saying 'if only I hadn't had that last drink'...but the reality was it was the first drink that started the madness for me, not the last.

Once I accepted that it was a lot easier to accept I had to stop drinking completely.

I could drink.... or be the person I wanted to be, and live the life I wanted to live...but not both.

I had to choose.

D
Old 11-24-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll use the support here to get sober for good while you still can choose to stop - before circumstances force you to stop.

My life is so much better now that I'm sober.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide to stop drinking. It's much easier to stop drinking completely than it is to drink on and off. We are here to support you.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was an easy going drunk. I got into just a couple of near domestic issues in 40 plus years. But, I was also very lucky. I drove drunk many many times.

So, I had to stop because my health was slipping away. Long sad story, but I was pretty much a nut case for the first year or so.

The hells and horrors were all in my mind. They may have trickled out here and there, but otherwise sr was my sounding board.

I never went to the dr., but I could feel it and see it. I put most of the gory details in my blog.

Quitting was hell on earth because in my drinking time I had taken hundreds of...days off...sometimes weeks and even months off.

I was..am..heavily kindled. I am positive there are parts of my brain that are badly and permanently damaged.

I would rather think this and quit drinking...than the opposite.

There are so many folks that don't drink any more. It is awesome being one of them. Born again non drinker. Not a prudish never drinker. I totally can relate to someone trapped in the addiction cycle. I am not the judge.

I was saved only by the grace of my God.

These days....I don't feel like I am missing out on anything...that is..was.. the av talking. The av has little strength with me any more.

I still crave, but I know what drinking will do to me and I just don't need it. I am no longer physically addicted, but I am an addict for life.

I don't believe the hype anymore.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone. I think I’m going to be able to make it through tonight without drinking. About to have some evening tea and get ready for bed. Dreading the night sweats.

I have no clue what I am going to do long term. I’ve struggled with my drinking for a long time. Yet I still hold onto drinking like a mad man. Guess I don’t need to figure it all out tonight. Just need to get through the night
Old 11-24-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tobo. There is some good advice from the people that posted above. I suggest you reread it in the morning. Read other posts on this site. There is a lot of good information! Have a good night. I hope you sleep well.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You came to the right place and good for you for posting.

In my experience, I wanted to continue drinking and have "fun" but the bad parts became the only parts in my life.

Life is so wonderful, rich and meaningful without alcohol.

Perhaps you need to change it up this time, try something different, add something like a program to your life, do whatever it takes.

You get this life and you get to enjoy it, you have to be willing to do anything for that kind of joy.

Rooting for you,

Nic.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Until you want to stop you won’t in my experience. It is however possible to get to the want if you’re rigorously honest with yourself about your drinking and the reality of it.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tobo View Post
I don’t want to stop drinking, but want to stop the bad parts.
This may be every alcoholics fantasy before they hit bottom, and the fantasy will carry you your bottom too. It did me. I think you have to recognize that the fantasy is not real, and never will be. If I were you, accepting the reality of your condition would be my first baby step. There is no way you can keep hitting your head with a hammer and not feel pain.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As an EX booze hound I know exactly how you feel. Only way out for me is throw in the towel. Then pick it back up for the night sweats lol. Nah real talk all I can say is do it my friend. Yes it is going to suck I'm not gonna sugar coat it. But it will get better . ✌
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I was an easy going drunk. I got into just a couple of near domestic issues in 40 plus years. But, I was also very lucky. I drove drunk many many times.

So, I had to stop because my health was slipping away. Long sad story, but I was pretty much a nut case for the first year or so.

The hells and horrors were all in my mind. They may have trickled out here and there, but otherwise sr was my sounding board.

I never went to the dr., but I could feel it and see it. I put most of the gory details in my blog.

Quitting was hell on earth because in my drinking time I had taken hundreds of...days off...sometimes weeks and even months off.

I was..am..heavily kindled. I am positive there are parts of my brain that are badly and permanently damaged.

I would rather think this and quit drinking...than the opposite.

There are so many folks that don't drink any more. It is awesome being one of them. Born again non drinker. Not a prudish never drinker. I totally can relate to someone trapped in the addiction cycle. I am not the judge.

I was saved only by the grace of my God.

These days....I don't feel like I am missing out on anything...that is..was.. the av talking. The av has little strength with me any more.

I still crave, but I know what drinking will do to me and I just don't need it. I am no longer physically addicted, but I am an addict for life.

I don't believe the hype anymore.

Thanks.
That's an excellent post! A simple 'thank you' doesn't give it the recognition it deserves. I will take a look at your blog. Thanks.