Notices

Coming out to others as an alcoholic ?

Old 11-21-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming out to others as an alcoholic ?

I don’t use the “a” word at all, ever, aside from occasionally using it here. I don’t even think about it much. When discussing with Mr. Bonnie, I just say that I drink too much and need to cut back. By “cut back” I mean quit, which he seems to understand what I really mean. I tell everyone else I’m on a health kick or that I just don’t like to drink anymore.

So last night two old friends were getting together for drinks, and after 10 months of sobriety, I felt safe to join them. I sat down with my Diet Coke, and one of them says, “still on your diet?” I said yes and that was that. But soon the conversation turned to how “hilarious” I was when drinking. Lots of Funny Drunk Bonnie stories. Honestly, I don’t think I was that darn funny; I wondered if they were trying to goad me into drinking. Maybe not, maybe I was just being sensitive.

It made me feel bad because I got the sense that they missed the old me. And then I started to feel all nostalgic, thinking about boozy holidays in years past, fun nights out with the friends, and I started to miss the old me too.

So that’s where my head was when one friend started talking about this pub and said, “we should go there when you’re drinking again.” I said, “that’ll be never sinceI’m an alcoholic. Maybe I’ll come along with you and have a coffee or something though.”

Just like that, I used that word. They were cool about it and backed off the booze talk, which is all I wanted. But I felt so weirdly exposed; I might as well have been sitting there in my underwear. And why did I have to say it like that? I felt like I should have alluded to it without actually saying it. I think that’s what I’ve been trying to do though, and it didn’t really work.

I really hate having my issues as a topic of conversation with people in my life. It makes me so uncomfortable having people know about my drinking problem. I don’t know why. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but to me it just feels like I overshared.

Anyway, I got a follow up invite from them to meet up next week for coffee and a trip to the bookstore. So that sounds like fun, I’m up for it.

Just rambling here. I guess I have a weird issue about people knowing; I don’t know if it’s normal. Anyway, I’m going to go run errands and hopefully quit ruminating.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's other ways to say it . like for me its me and booze dont get along anymore. ✌
Old 11-21-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Honestly, it seems like once you said the true nature of your drinking issues, they FINALLY respected you and stopped talking about how you were.
I love honesty, and if that honesty closes the door to a relationship, that is on them, not me.

I had to accept EVERYTHING I did while drinking, so the shame no longer held me in shame, fear, remorse, etc.

Once I accepted everything, I will scream that I am an alcoholic because I do not want someone to try and tempt me, and if after I say my stance on alcohol and they STILL try to get me to drink or talk about how I used to be, I will end that relationship because that is not what a real friend does.

I am so glad you are here, thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Back in the day, it didn't seem to bother me that everyone knew I drank, that all had "drunk Carl" stories to share.

So I haven't let my "not drinking" and who knows it bother me either.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
I really hate having my issues as a topic of conversation with people in my life. It makes me so uncomfortable having people know about my drinking problem. I don’t know why. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but to me it just feels like I overshared.
I feel the same, and I don't expect others to share all the dark parts of their lives either. I don't really talk about alcoholism in my real life.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I don't straight-up tell people I'm an alcoholic unless the exchange I'm having with them demands it. The people closest to me in my life know it, and that's what matters. Anyone else - not really their business, unless we are having a real conversation and the topic comes up. Then I'll say the A word. I'm not ashamed of it, but I realize the word can and will be weaponized by people who do not understand, or who, for some reason, want to hurt me. So I'm careful who I say it to.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well, i might reframe: i don't have a drinking problem , since i don't drink. though i am certainly an alcoholic.
i think how it came out of you is fantastic: clear, and precise, and short. and the result was respect, and they backed off.
and then, wow, issued the next invitation for going for coffee.
you have good friends, seems to me.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

They sound like good friends who want to hang out with you!

Inviting you out for coffee and and a bookstore browse shows they not only want to continue hanging out with you, they also respect you

Old 11-21-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've made the mistake of using the word "alcoholic" outside the recovery community. "Normal" drinkers don't get it.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's really awesome that your friends contacted you about doing coffee and a bookstore. Not everything in life has to revolve around booze and I'm sure they understand that.

For me, I've not told anyone other than my husband that I have an alcohol problem. Everyone else just thinks I quit because I care more about my fitness and general health.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but in my 480 or so days of sobriety no one apart from my sister (who's life revolves around weekly wine tastings and vineyard holidays with her husband) has deeply questioned why I gave up. I did post about this earlier in the year, but my sister very loudly said 'Are you an alcoholic? If not, did you think you were heading that way? We just can't get our heads around why someone would stop drinking!' in a busy restaurant for all to hear (to which I replied no). Other than that, everyone has treated me normally.

Last week I returned from a holiday in Japan with my friends. I hit a few nightclubs, a large number of bars. People were buying me cola and energy drinks. No one said anything about me not drinking. One bar lady even made complimentary spooky eyeball shots for myself and my husband and told me she'd used Calpico (a fruit drink) in mine as she'd noticed I don't drink.

It's not mandatory that I tell people why I don't drink. You shouldn't have to tell people if you don't want to, but your friends have proved to you that you don't have to keep that information to yourself if you feel you need to share it.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Society sees addiction as a moral issue - but medically, it's anything but that.

The perplexing part is when medical professionals treat it as a moral issue.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your friends are supporting you. I don't talk about my alcoholism outside of SR because I find people don't understand it.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad your friends are supporting you. I don't talk about my alcoholism outside of SR because I find people don't understand it.
Yeah, I have no plans to continue broadcasting to everyone around me. At least with these two friends, I know them well enough to know they wouldn’t judge me, but I still felt weird hearing myself use the word alcoholic. I’ll probably keep it to this forum going forward.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I judged myself harshly for being an alcoholic.
I should have known better.
I should have done better.
I should be able to control it.
I assumed everyone else would judge me the same way.
Some do. Some don't.

I am more comfortable with it than I used to be, but I could do with getting more comfortable with it still.

I'm glad you had a good time with your friends.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't had to answer the "why aren't you drinking question" yet but if asked I think I will just say Im working on being sober and leave it at that.

If someone wants to keep trying to get me to drink then I guess I will propose that, if I take a drink then they have to stay with me, drinking with me non stop until it runs its course in a few days I suppose no one will want to take me up on that.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I'm asked why I don't drink, I say, "I used to drink and that's why I don't now."
Old 11-21-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Thumbs up

It’s nice that your friends are going to meet up for coffee & a trip to a bookstore. Personally I’ve never felt the need to explain. No one’s ever pushed me to drink or questioned my not drinking. I just don’t drink. End of story.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
It’s nice that your friends are going to meet up for coffee & a trip to a bookstore. Personally I’ve never felt the need to explain. No one’s ever pushed me to drink or questioned my not drinking. I just don’t drink. End of story.
Thats how it usually is for me too. Now that I think about it, I don’t think they were trying to question my not drinking, but I was getting uncomfortable with the “hilarious” memories. I probably didn’t need to say anything, but they seemed to really think I’m on some temporary health kick and will be back to Boozy Bonnie at some point. I felt like letting them know that those days are over. So I ended up maybe oversharing, but at least they’re good enough friends to be cool with it. I’ve known them a long time, and I’d be surprised if they never suspected my drinking was a problem.

I know of several people who are so open about their alcoholism and sobriety, which I think is cool because that kind of openness probably helps to destigmatize it. That just won’t be me though, probably ever.

Besides, I have a hard time accepting labels. I prefer to think of myself as someone with a drinking problem, rather than slapping a label on it. Even if that label totally fits. Oh well, it doesn’t matter, right? What does matter is that I’m not drinking anymore.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Like others here, I have found you can make the point about being an alcoholic, without ever using the word, and at the same time being totally honest. I used to announce it to the world, like it was required. It's not required, and the last time the issue came up with someone I just met, I said, "I've drank too much alcohol in my life, and I don't want anymore." Everything there is totally honest and as forceful as it needs to be. If someone wants to hang a label on me that's their choice.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Society sees addiction as a moral issue - but medically, it's anything but that.

The perplexing part is when medical professionals treat it as a moral issue.
Yeah, that’s for sure. I have the feeling that my doctor would be a bit judgy about this. I guess I’d have to be truthful if my drinking had affected my health worse than it had, but fortunately, that hasn’t been an issue. She’s noticed my blood pressure has come down and I’ve lost weight, but when asked I just said, “cardio.”