Notices

Birthday Wishes

Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday Wishes

My birthday was yesterday. Usually a hard day for me because what little Family I have makes it a point to remind me that I am the bane to their existence. This year I don’t care.

Instead, I decided to celebrate my birthday by making it a point to share as much kindness as possible to all living creatures. I was extra nice to my kitties giving them extra treats even my dads nasty cat. I smiled and complemented strangers as I went about my day. I gave the lady who cut my hair a generous tip. And went out of my way to make a really good lunch and breakfast for my husband who forgot it was my birthday.

I’m okay with that and it was the best birthday I have ever had. I’d say I spoiled my baby but I don’t think I can spoil her anymore than I already do.

Part of why I’m sharing this is that the The whole holiday season besides just my birthday has always been a particularly hard time of the year for me. I assume that there are several other sober recovery members that may feel the same way as well. This year I challenge you good folks to spread holiday cheer by being selfless. Donate your time to helping those less fortunate. Pay for someone’s coffee behind you in line or pay for someone’s breakfast at McDonalds. One year around Christmas time I saw an elderly person in line behind me at the grocery store with what looked like a holiday dinner for one. So, I bought a gift card that I figured would cover their meal and gave it to the cashier and explained I wanted it used for the customer behind me.

For me, helping others helps me get through these hard times during the holidays. Give it a shot, it can’t hurt right?

Happy holidays to my SR family! let’s make it great for everyone we come across in our path.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A beautiful post thank you.

Belated Birthday wishes.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really great post! Belated Happy Birthday and I'm glad you enjoyed your day.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you enjoyed your Birthday! And, what a great post! This is part of the process of changing our lifestyle to support our recovery.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Lovely post. Happy Birthday .
Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Happy Birthday!!!

You've helped me so much by being on here, Thank You!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy Belated. Going it alone can be hard, you can be proud.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy birthday!!!! Your buying a gift card for someone that appeared to be in need really got me thinking. I'm gonna try to pay that forward during the holidays. John
Old 11-20-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Birthdays are over rated, methinks- BUT I hope your day and future days in the lead up to the silly season are peaceful and productive.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS. Getting through the holidays alone can be really tough, but I've found it does get easier as time passes. I still miss the family get togethers, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I think it has to do with acceptance, living in the now and moving on. John
Old 11-20-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!!

What a wonderful and positive post! You are inspiring us all to pay it forward. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Happy Birthday!!!

You've helped me so much by being on here, Thank You!
I don’t know if you remember me sugar bear, but we used to chat a lot about a few years ago. I really enjoyed those chats and I’m glad that you’re still doing well.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so happy to see all these wonderful responses. Thank you for the birthday wishes and hope some of you come back to post your act of kindness.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

A great post NewHope - thank you - and Happy Birthday

D
Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wow, newhope; so glad everything you did turned it into the best b-day.
love how you took charge of that day and turned it into such a positive!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Beautiful post, newhope! You made my day.

Happy Birthday!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
My birthday was yesterday. Usually a hard day for me because what little Family I have makes it a point to remind me that I am the bane to their existence. This year I don’t care.

Instead, I decided to celebrate my birthday by making it a point to share as much kindness as possible to all living creatures. I was extra nice to my kitties giving them extra treats even my dads nasty cat. I smiled and complemented strangers as I went about my day. I gave the lady who cut my hair a generous tip. And went out of my way to make a really good lunch and breakfast for my husband who forgot it was my birthday.

I’m okay with that and it was the best birthday I have ever had. I’d say I spoiled my baby but I don’t think I can spoil her anymore than I already do.

Part of why I’m sharing this is that the The whole holiday season besides just my birthday has always been a particularly hard time of the year for me. I assume that there are several other sober recovery members that may feel the same way as well. This year I challenge you good folks to spread holiday cheer by being selfless. Donate your time to helping those less fortunate. Pay for someone’s coffee behind you in line or pay for someone’s breakfast at McDonalds. One year around Christmas time I saw an elderly person in line behind me at the grocery store with what looked like a holiday dinner for one. So, I bought a gift card that I figured would cover their meal and gave it to the cashier and explained I wanted it used for the customer behind me.

For me, helping others helps me get through these hard times during the holidays. Give it a shot, it can’t hurt right?

Happy holidays to my SR family! let’s make it great for everyone we come across in our path.
Happy Birthday Newhope01

Thank you for your post. It feels so nice to read what you wrote.
I agree being kind is a great feeling. You sound to be a very caring and sensitive soul

I also got a chuckle about your Dad's nasty cat getting a treat too.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post

I also got a chuckle about your Dad's nasty cat getting a treat too.
Seriously, this cat reminds me of Lucifer from Cinderella.

and Thank you for the kind sentiments. I appreciate it. 😊
Old 11-21-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post

Seriously, this cat reminds me of Lucifer from Cinderella.

and Thank you for the kind sentiments. I appreciate it. 😊
NO LIE- I pictured in my minds eye Lucifer from Cinderella

Give Lucifer a big snuggle and kiss from me!
He or she will love it! (chuckle)

I lost my cat in April and would give anything to chill with him one more time. I know he is with me and rooting me on. My baby Sherlocke...
Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A belated Happy Birthday newhope! Great post, I'm really glad you enjoyed it and I hope your husband makes it up to you.