Life is good

Today's Hope - Nov. 19, 2019

Old 11-19-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

These are from

https://www.todays-hope.com/todays-sharing.html

Daily Quote

The happiness of life is made up of minute fractions - the little, soon forgotten charities of a kiss or a smile, a kind look or heartfelt compliment.
--Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Daily Reflection

Change
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. -Lao Tz

In becoming active in my own recovery, I have found that I regularly feel resistance to letting go of my old habits though I realize that they are no longer working for me. I feel fear that if I let go of these behaviors, that I will no longer know who I am or what I should do. However, I realize that unless I let go of those old tendencies, I will not have room for the new ones. Though I fear change, I am able to let go and let God and trust that everything will work out for the better.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Daily Sharing from the Forum, an Al-Anon pocket-size magazine.

A New Lease On Life
I remember trying to hide my mistakes because I didn’t want my spouse to have any reason to criticize me. I attempted to be the best cook, sexiest lover, and greatest gardener, but it didn’t help. In public my husband praised me and I acted the part-looking happy, successful, and perfect. I thought if other people liked me, my husband would realize how lucky he was.

I took over a lot of my husband’s responsibilities. I also took control of the house and the lives of my three daughters. I worried constantly about my children as I focused on their lives. While the confusion in my life progressed, I became resentful. I argued for hours with my husband, trying to make him see things my way. He thought my problem was that I didn’t drink enough!

It was easy to keep secrets. Both of our families lived abroad and we moved continuously, leaving all of our friends behind. I couldn’t write and tell them I was a failure. My husband was always so fun and charming around other people. I became depressed, sick, and convinced I was as crazy as he said I was.

When I found Al-Anon, I was an emotional mess. The members welcomed me with smiles and hugs. I wanted the serenity I saw on their faces. I listened to members’ honest sharings and slowly found the courage to unlock my secrets. Al-Anon gave back my life and sanity.

I am no longer with my spouse. He chose to continue drinking and found another enabler. It has been difficult for me to let go of the people in my life. The relationships I have with my daughters, however, continue to grow. We have friendship, honesty, and trust because Al-Anon helps me keep the focus on myself.

The program is also teaching me about love. The love and acceptance I have received has given me back my self-esteem. Changes in my life have been profound. I feel human because I can admit my mistakes without fear of being ridiculed. If I feel overwhelmed about life, I can humbly ask my Higher Power for help and guidance. I have a new lease on life. I know my growth and happiness will be ongoing if I work the Al-Anon program and have faith in my Higher Power.

By Shea, British Columbia
Old 11-19-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Celebrate Recovery was similar for me Mango. They picked me up when I was at my lowest and turned into years and years of amazing support and connections. I am so very thankful.