Notices

Hello! First post

Old 11-17-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello! First post

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Been reading on the forums for a while, about a year, trying to get a grasp on my problem.
I have finally made the decision to stop for good after repeated attempts of going cold turkey with no outside help. I’m going to be attending my first AA meeting tomorrow, and I am looking for an outpatient program around the Houston area as well.
I wish I could have made this decision long ago before I picked up my first DUI a couple nights ago. I’m doing this for myself and, to be honest, to show the court I am serious about not drinking.
Honestly i’m scared about this process and the idea of losing my job is even scarier. Though I know my actions have consequences, and i’m trying to keep positive and do my best to not let this hold me back.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome. Outpatient & AA are good choices to help kick start your sobriety. Continued good choices will certainly help your dui case. Stick around! I hope to read more from you.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello,

Welcome. Great job going to AA tomorrow! At my meeting this morning there was a person whom it was there first AA meeting ever. The peeps were so happy to make you feel utmost welcomed and offer empathy and unlimited support.
I think the outside help will give you a tremendous force of well being , sober tools and knowing you are not alone.
You may also speak to other alcoholics. regarding their experience with a DUI. I myself experienced one while employed and my employment was not affected. I did not drive to work I took the bus. I am just very grateful you or myself did not hurt ourselves or especially someone else. It is an awful feeling I can empathize with you. Just keep doing the next right thing. You will never have to go through that harrowing experience again. So glad you posted and are willing and ready to start your Sober journey.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
Hi and welcome. Outpatient & AA are good choices to help kick start your sobriety. Continued good choices will certainly help your dui case. Stick around! I hope to read more from you.
Thanks gypsytears. I’ll be sticking around. I live alone in houston with no family nearby, so this and AA will hopefully be a support structure for me.

Last edited by texasbrn; 11-17-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: sentence structure
Old 11-17-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support, along with AA and other resources, can help you get sober for good.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking and that you have a recovery plan. And, yes, dealing with the DUI will be tough, but have faith that you can do it and you can stay sober. You don't have to feel like this again.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Texasbrn

D
Old 11-17-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're here to encourage you, Texas - welcome!
I drank 30 yrs. I got a dui towards the end of my drinking days. It caused me to stop my lame attempt at quitting and get serious. I knew it could never be fun again, and I'd never magically become a social drinker.
You can get free of it - keep reading and posting - we care about you.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hello,

Welcome. Great job going to AA tomorrow! At my meeting this morning there was a person whom it was there first AA meeting ever. The peeps were so happy to make you feel utmost welcomed and offer empathy and unlimited support.
I think the outside help will give you a tremendous force of well being , sober tools and knowing you are not alone.
You may also speak to other alcoholics. regarding their experience with a DUI. I myself experienced one while employed and my employment was not affected. I did not drive to work I took the bus. I am just very grateful you or myself did not hurt ourselves or especially someone else. It is an awful feeling I can empathize with you. Just keep doing the next right thing. You will never have to go through that harrowing experience again. So glad you posted and are willing and ready to start your Sober journey.
Hey faith, thank you for the kind words. Yes this has been very hard. Guilt, anger, and all other emotions are happening all at once. I feel like i’m in a nightmare really.
That’s good to hear that the people in AA are very accepting. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
We're here to encourage you, Texas - welcome!
I drank 30 yrs. I got a dui towards the end of my drinking days. It caused me to stop my lame attempt at quitting and get serious. I knew it could never be fun again, and I'd never magically become a social drinker.
You can get free of it - keep reading and posting - we care about you.
Thanks Hevyn! I’m 29, I started drinking when i was 19. The past few years i’ve been binge drinking every few days. Or I would go a week of not drinking, then one weekend would just get too drunk. Always told myself it would only be 2 drinks and then that’s it. Only worked a few times. I found a circle of friends at a local bar who I could socialize with, as the time alone in an apartment gets lonely! lol I’m attempting to find a new circle I can be around.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hey Texas, I have a similar experience. The intention was usually to have a couple, just enough to have a good time. The result was out of control drinking with all kinds of insane behavior. Then the feeling bad, then the intention again, somehow fooling myself that this next time would be different. Then loss of control and more humiliation. But there is a solution, and it sounds like you are on track to discover it.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Make sobriety and your recovery no1 priority in your life to remain sober.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning and welcome. Hey no worries first thing is first if the DUI put the spook in ya to get sober. Then in all reality it is a small price to pay for what you are about to enter. The sober zone!!!! Nah real talk. I get it . the DUI sucks. Trust me you don't want to know how many duis I have. Yes that many. Put it this way I shouldnt be able to be on this site due to cell phone not allowed and two I am banned for life to be able to drive. But you know what? I am in peace with that. Why? I found sobriety. Best thing I have ever done for me in my life. So really I lost nothing and gained everything getting sober. In your case if its your first DUI. Yes you arw gobna go thru some motions. Pay fines etc. But if you catch the sober bug because of this. It's a win. ✌
Old 11-18-2019, 01:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome TB. You have started changing for the better after ONLY 1 dui. That is great. Support to you.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
B

Hi Texas. Our situations sound so similar, that’s what I love about this site! No one is alone. I’m fairly new to all this also. Good luck with your journey mate!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome texasbrn
Old 11-18-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I hope our support, along with AA and other resources, can help you get sober for good.
Thanks Least! I’m going to give it my best
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Apples87 View Post
Hi Texas. Our situations sound so similar, that’s what I love about this site! No one is alone. I’m fairly new to all this also. Good luck with your journey mate!
Thanks Apples! It’s good to know i’m not alone in this. I’m still feeling very ashamed unfortunately. One day i’ll forgive myself, but right now it doesn’t seem possible.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!! SR can be such a great and supportive part of your recovery plan 💕