Notices

Shame

Old 11-17-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shame

Hi my name is Claire. I did post a few weeks ago I went through withdrawals but started drinking again. I want nothing more than to stop! I’m on my last warning at work they know I have a problem. It’s just so hard 😢 I’m lost it’s like I can’t deal with reality I just drink and everything goes away
Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a medical term for what you're going through - it's called alcohol use disorder. Shame, regret, anxiety, going through withdrawals and then going back to the drink, etc are all symptoms.

The thing is, society isn't gonna see it that way. I have my views on why, but I don't want to get into that on here. It just is that way - people get fired for alcohol use disorder.

My personal suggestion is that you attend AA. Even if you just use it as group therapy for a while or whatever. There are people there that have put themselves through the wringer with alcoholism (lost jobs, relationships, marriages, their home, their car, their freedom, etc) that can help you save what alcohol has taken from you and then some.

You can do it. I believe in you, Claire.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One day/min. at a time has been working for me so far. I try to drink a lot of water and do physical activity's no matter what it is. Also, for the first few weeks, a family size package of Oreo cookies didn't have a chance.
Oh and on that note, the store had Oreo's on sale so I pick-up four packs. 2/3 done with the first pack...yeah they don't have a chance.

Good luck and one day/min at a time.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Misspolly13;7312139]
Hi my name is Claire. I did post a few weeks ago I went through withdrawals but started drinking again. I want nothing more than to stop! I’m on my last warning at work they know I have a problem. It’s just so hard 😢 I’m lost it’s like I can’t deal with reality I just drink and everything goes away
[/QUOT

Claire im in a terrible place of you want to message me
Old 11-17-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
B

You can do this! It’s so hard at first, I know it is. I second the comment to join the aa. This has worked for me and I’m on day 46. I promise it gets easier . I also found burying my head in self books and sober forums helped keep my mind busy.

good luck and I have faith in you.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Polly,

I’m glad you’re here and posting, I’m sorry you got caught up in the drinking cycle again. What were you doing to help you stay sober? There are so many options for recovery.

I still post and read here daily, when I first got sober I spent several hours on here throughout my day. I read lots about recovery, worked with a counselor through my insurance, and also used mindfulness techniques and walking daily to help me stay grounded, and to clear my head of any craziness from the day.

You mentioned work has spoken to you about drinking, do they have any sort of program through work that helps with this? HR may have some resources for you. I normally wouldn’t share anything with work, but if they mentioned it to you I thought you might want to do some investigating.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Tinkerbeau;7312150]
Originally Posted by Misspolly13 View Post
[/QUOT

Claire im in a terrible place of you want to message me
would be good to speak. But I’m not sure how to private message on here
Old 11-17-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your messages. I can’t believe I did this again. I promised myself after the last withdrawals never again it was horrendous. But here I am again
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry you’re going through this again. I am too today. I lied to my SO and got caught and betrayed him and myself and our child again. I feel sick mentally and physically. I’m so sorry... I wouldn’t wish this on anyone
Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
There is a medical term for what you're going through - it's called alcohol use disorder. Shame, regret, anxiety, going through withdrawals and then going back to the drink, etc are all symptoms.

The thing is, society isn't gonna see it that way. I have my views on why, but I don't want to get into that on here. It just is that way - people get fired for alcohol use disorder.

My personal suggestion is that you attend AA. Even if you just use it as group therapy for a while or whatever. There are people there that have put themselves through the wringer with alcoholism (lost jobs, relationships, marriages, their home, their car, their freedom, etc) that can help you save what alcohol has taken from you and then some.

You can do it. I believe in you, Claire.
Thank you. I can do this I’ve done it before! I will beat it!
Old 11-17-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Claire - I'm so glad you posted & told us what's happening.
I felt the same way just before quitting forever. (It's been over 11 yrs. now.) We have to be convinced we can't touch it - that there can be no moderation. No amount of willpower will let us have 'just one or two'. At the end of my drinking career I was so dependent I was taking it to work with me - otherwise I'd shake during the day. I can't believe I somehow justified that behavior. Yes, it's very difficult when we first let go of it - it's been our buffer against bad feelings for so long. It doesn't really help us though - it only masks our emotions & we never end up dealing with anything in a healthy way.

We know you can get your life back. We're here to help.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Claire, to Private Message someone go to the top left of the page and you will see User CP. Scroll through the drop-down menu till you see Private Messages and then choose Send New Message.

This disease of alcoholism makes us feel lost and full of shame. That's how it keeps us hooked. Know that you can step away from those negative feelings and do what you need to do to stay sober.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your replies. Without this forum think I would go mad! But it helps so much people understand
Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back MissPolly
any ideas yet on what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It’s hard but I ended an 8 relationship became he’s a drinker and happy that way. I’ve begged him to changed but he won’t. I’m just so worried as AA tell you not to change in the first year of sobriety! But after my fist AA meeting he gave me a can without me asking and he said I don’t need to stop, just cut down 😢I know he’s an idiot