Notices

4 weeks today

Old 11-16-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 weeks today

Hi all. 4 weeks today and I'm trying something different by posting here instead of a class. Have only had 2 that I really thought that I fit into and then I screwed it up by thinking it was OK if I just had some vodka this weekend. Don't think that has ever worked out for any of us. Anyway, I seem to keep getting to around a month or so and then I seize on an opportunity to justify having some. You know what's weird though, with the upcoming holidays, that's the one time that I know that I won't drink. Everyone knows that I'm supposed to be giving up booze, so I'm sure as hell not going to do it in front of visiting family and friends. I have no idea how people that live alone ever stop drinking. I take my hat off to those that are doing that. Well, I've rambled on enough. Wishing everyone in the US a happy upcoming Thanksgiving! My favorite holiday of the year.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 weeks Bob.

My life is full and good - too full and good for drinking

D
Old 11-16-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bobdrop

My cycle is like that as well. I am more apt to drink once my body feels better.
Once I get to the point that my body is so alcohol sick it is easier to refrain.
Unfortunately it takes me a few days of morning drinks to get to that place.
Anyhow- good job being honest and posting here. Congrats on your 4 weeks.
It sounds like you have a lot of family support rallying around you. I do as well.
I actually had to give up my apartment- due to loss of job and family pressure.
To surrender to the fact that alcohol is going to kill me. Not be alone and isolate myself. I am taking it one day at a time. Being hungover,drunk and all the feelings that come with it is no way to live. Hope you are having a good day today.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I live alone. I don't even have any family.

I don't drink because I don't want to kill myself and I don't want to be homeless. Pretty good reasons.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hats off to ya 4 weeks is great my friend. I said goodbye to the sauce 196 days ago. Good riddens . ✌
Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are doing well Bob, congrats on 4 weeks!

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-16-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Bob!

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months! Keep going, it gets better the longer you're sober.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Bob, kudos to you for changing it up even in a tiny way to try to get sober.

I think you were in the August 2018 class. We would love to have you back although it is just three women now. It is getting a bit thin . . . . hmmm . . . .maybe we will all come and make a Bob Class!!! (-;

Absolutely do whatever works for you and please please keep trying something new to make sobriety work.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

4 weeks is fabulous, Bob.
Things will continue to get so much better.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

4 weeks is fantastic
It just gets better x
Old 11-17-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Four weeks is important. Well done.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Bob?
D
Old 11-18-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I crashed and burned the last 2 nights. I think my stubbornness may finally be visible to the point that I am going to admit that I need some face to face help. My doctor recommended this, but I am a stubborn person and actually not real sure what my health insurance might cover. If it doesn't, I guess AA is the only choice? Are those meetings really like the ones they show on the TV show Mom? I don't know.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know Bob but if you're not able to stop drinking just with SR alone, I think it's a good idea to go check it out for yourself?

Stubbornness is not a positive thing if it keeps leading you back to things you've decided you don't want to do anymore?

D
Old 11-19-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
I have no idea how people that live alone ever stop drinking.
meetings and the fellowship of AA

Old 11-25-2019, 02:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I've made it back to 1 week heading into Thanksgiving. Dee, I know that you say that you don't have to hit rock bottom to do this, but it sure does feel like it. I read through the stories here and I feel blessed to not have gone through a fraction of what others have had to deal with. Maybe that day when the light clicks on, it will just happen? I can see gradual effects on my health, but at 60, wasn't that going to start anyway? I don't know. I can write a long list of why I shouldn't drink, and even a long list of why I don't want to. Still looking for things to put on the opposing list, so this is vexing. I guess the don't want to's have to build up to an over the cliff moment. Because of health stuff though, I really don't have any choice but to keep trying. I do know that not drinking as much as possible can only be a positive all the way around.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bob

The bottom line is something keeps drawing you back here and I think it's something deeper than health concerns.

I'm glad to have had a second chance to live my life free and authentically.
I'm glad to have a chance to be the person I want to be, or at least strive for that.
I'm glad to have lived a life that mattered.

All of that was impossible when I was drinking.

D
Old 11-25-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Aw Bob, I was super excited that you hit 4 weeks! You absolutely CAN do this, and while it may seem like the health consequences aren't that severe, we really have no true sense of what we're doing to our body and mind. Trust me that life is so much easier and better once you start to avoid alcohol like it will kill you. Almost 2 years ago, I started out treating it like a vicious poison that I didn't even allow myself to look at, and now I spend the vast majority of my time NOT thinking about alcohol at all. It can be done, but not alone. We need to lean on each other and do it together - PM me anytime.