Self care 2-do list

Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Self care 2-do list

My 2-Do List:

Years ago I attended some business coaching seminars. A lot of it was stuff I was already implementing in my office but one of the new tools that really stuck with me afterward was the idea of focusing on the important stuff & changing my "To Do List" into a "2-Do List".

The gist of it is this - when we create a long list of daily to-do's and then do not achieve those goals, we are often left with negative feelings at the end of the day when we look back over the list & focus on all that was left undone.

Instead, my list always has 2 items on it in the mornings. These are the 2 things that absolutely HAVE to get done that day regardless of whatever else happens. They are the things in my primary focus - top priority. When I cross both items off after completion, I get the positive feelings of accomplishment & feel like I've stayed focused on my goals. As the day proceeds, I add items to the list AFTER they are completed & at the end of the day I am always surprised to find out how much I really AM getting done. My feeling of accomplishment doubles.

I have taken this business method & applied it to my personal recovery as well - especially when I feel like I am spiraling a bit. For instance, when RAH had his relapse last fall, I started doing this actively every day to help me maintain a sense of control within my days & my world. And it helped me to stop heaping additional negative energy on myself at a time when my life felt like a roller coaster day-to-day already.

After a few days of actively making lists it helps re-set my brain & my focus & I don't necessarily have to keep doing it. Just thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else!

My 2-do list is simply a focus on vehicle maintenance: a new battery and windshield wipers for my vehicle. The current ones are doing well and I greatly appreciate them! They are also due to be replaced soon. I'm putting these on my list now, to plan for in my budget and allow for good timing and looking forward to this ((((self-care)))).

Much different than years ago when beer was considered a staple and I budgeted for that regularly in order to keep peace.

Now I'm willing to rock the boat, know my own truth and self worth, have new life skills and enjoy peace, harmony and each day in new ways.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yesterday I sat down w/some family members and had a discussion that we simply cannot do everything we would like to do over the holidays. There is not enough time. Each person picked one thing/event that is important to them, and we then worked the calendar to get it on there. It was great.

So I guess mine for today is good planning. It eases my mind to know when everything is and when things ARE NOT so I can get in some relaxing as well!
Old 11-20-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Today's 2-do list:

Trust God

Allow joy to be cultivated
Old 11-21-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My list for today is to go home without one single stop on the way, and enjoy a nice dinner with my children that I actually prepare, at home.

I have been doing a bible study and reading the bible before bed, and I want to go to bed a little earlier tonight so I will focus on making sure I still incorporate that into my evening as I feel it's helping me remember the real reason for the season coming up and keeping me focused where I need to be.