Notices

The Little Things

Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Little Things

Don't let the little things make you drink.

An awkward encounter
A nagging feeling of inadequacy
a feeling like you don't fit in
Something someone said
your favorite team lost

More talking to myself than anyone else (but I hope it helps others!). All "reasons" I've picked up before, by the way. I think this is one of the reasons AA and other groups encourage seeking some sort of spirituality. It helps you shrug off and even forget about the little things.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good stuff

D
Old 11-15-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very true. I'd also like to add not to let the little things that are a positive force make you drink.

The weather is nice
Your favorite team won
A show or movie you associate drinking with that was once upon a time "fun"
A snow day home from work
Brunch (always a tough one for me, but I am learning that the food is so much better sans the bottomless mimosas)

Thank you for starting this thread. We sure know how to find any sort of reason to drink.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Little things are important, especially the way we respond to them. A big plan should include how to deal with little things.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It use to be my favorite is playing! The binge that got me into recovery started because my team had a nationally televised pre season game so I had to drink on a night I was not supposed to. I wasn't supposed to drink the next night either but the obsession took over. Woke up in jail, because of a preseason football game. They lost.

If we had some kind of department lunch which threw off my healthy lunch schedule I would need to drink. I already didn't eat right so I'll get my money's worth out of the mistake.

Pretty much anything that disturbed my schedule required alchohol!

When I tried to leave company that fired me a couple of years before they fired me I went nuts. I had to drink because talking to a recruiter was stressful. I had to drink because working on my resume screwed my running/weight lifting schedule. Day before phone interview had to drink because of the stress. Day of phone interview felt like I just got off roller coaster better drink. In person interview, same cycle. I didn't get the job. My helpful, enthusiastic recruiter said don't worry here is another opportunity. I was like ya know I think I'm happy at my current position. I was putting on too much weight too quickly and was drinking to a point where I hated it. Had to get back to my usual reckless weekend binges.

Fortunately I got sober before I got fired. OMG job interview better pray, better meditate, better get enough exercise! I ended up with a much better job!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like this! I like lists of 5 myself.

Least probably prompted this idea as always mentioning gratitude -
it seems to happen most in the car, but anytime I'm feeling [something bad], I make myself list off the first 5 things I'm grateful for.

So right now,
I have a little dog I just bought adorable sweaters for
A husband willing to talk about hard stuff involving my stepkids
Plans w my fam for Thgvg that include my once estranged brother
New bedding

Whatever helps TWTOM! Good thinking going on with you!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I agree with your comment about spirituality. It will allow you to let things go and not take them too heart; be content with yourself.