Notices

First post-my husband is an addict

Old 11-11-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy First post-my husband is an addict

Hi All,
I don't even know what to say. My husband admitted to abusing oxy about a year ago. He had gotten hooked after taking percocet for an injury. I tried to be supportive and he swore he would get off of them before our baby came. Long story short our baby is 5 months old now, and he is taking anywhere from 6-9 (20-30mg) pills a day. (the story always changes so I'm not sure).
This past week I told him I was done and he absolutely had to go to rehab. He swears he can do it on his own and promises that if he isn't off of them by December 1st, he will go. I feel like the next few weeks is just prolonging the inevitable. I did make him leave the house for a few days, but he just went to his parents who are total enablers. His dad was giving him xanax to help him sleep, etc. They coddle him like a 2 year old, and I am more fed up and in the in tough love stage. AKA get your crap together or we are done.
I guess I just don't know where to turn or what to do. Any advice?
Old 11-11-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Keepinghope123,

I sorry your husband is addicited to oxy. It must be tough to handle a 5 month old and an addict at the same time. The 5 month old might be easier. I'm not very knoweldgeable about oxy addiction my wife was an alcoholic, but they have got to want to change and they have to have support to keep from not going back. I hope you Husband gets off oxy and gets back to helping you with the new baby. Just know there are lots of people here that can help you. Keep Strong and have a good day and hopefully some rest with the new baby.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Keepinghope! I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. I cannot be much precise help as I am a recovering alcoholic myself. There are however two sections of SR that might also be worth checking out. The first is Friends and Family of addicts and the other is the Opioid Addiction section (I hope I have that right) Best wishes to the three of you.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is very difficult for an opiate addict to stop using. They get very sick during withdrawal and will do anything to avoid it. Your husband will certainly need to consult a doctor and consider in-patient rehab. One thing is for certain and that is he needs help to stop.