Notices

Almost one year ago....

Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost one year ago....

Hello, long time lurker here. Mama to four kids---older two in their 20's who live in the US, and younger two in their teens who live with me in Asia (husband's job brought us here). Found SR just over a year ago after a google search of "alcohol and high blood pressure". I'm in my early 50's, always had wine during dinner, but gradually started finishing a bottle a night (likely for the past 5-7 years). Diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on medication (which I hated). I knew I had to do something. Deep down, I knew the alcohol was playing into the high blood pressure but didn't want to admit it. Tried diet change and exercise, neither of which helped. Finally one day, I had enough and called it quits on the alcohol. Haven't looked back.

Had a few days of withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, heart racing, tired, overall yuckiness) before things started to improve. I'm thinking it took a few months for everything to finally clear up physically. Blood tests two months later showed major improvements in liver function, blood sugar, and cholesterol. Blood pressure dropped back to normal ranges---off medication completely. I may be one of the lucky ones as I never faced cravings of any sort and honestly don't miss alcohol. However, I am afraid to try to have a glass as I feel bad habits would start again.

Two months after I quit, I was diagnosed with low grade breast cancer, had surgery, and completed a month of radiation. At the exact same time, our son was arrested (alcohol was a factor). He asked us to send him to rehab as he felt completely out of control. He successfully completed a five week inpatient program and went on to complete a 16 week outpatient program. He was also diagnosed with major depression, put on medication, and in therapy. Very, very hard to have him go through all that when I couldn't travel to be with him due to my radiation treatment.

Long story short, I'm coming up on a year (November 19!) of being off alcohol with my son not too far behind me. I've learned a lot from this site as both a person who gave up alcohol as well as a mom of a kid struggling to overcome the same challenges. So, thank you!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

and thank you for sharing a little of your, and your sons recovery story mamatofour

Congratulations on your upcoming year - welcome to the posting side of things

D