Notices

Recovery

Old 11-10-2019, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

I am now 367 days sober and felt the need to thank SR as well. I am in recovery and see this as a lifestyle choice more so than just going sober. I am very thankful and greatful to everyone who have been part of my journey, most of you have no idea that you have. I dont post often but read more frequently. I am very active on Recovery Elevator and Daybreak.
I have gone full circle and believe I have set the foundation in my recovery. Now the real work begins as the ”honeymoon” period of the initial excitement of sobriety is over and the normality has set in. I love the normality but it means it needs to be shaken up now and then. I am well aware that recovery is a never ending journey with twists and turns, **** days and good days, simply life. Never know whats around the corner. Sober living is uncomplicated bliss most of the time.
So my quick thanks to you all as I start the next phase❤️🙏❤️

Old 11-10-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your year Sydneyman - the first of many many more
D
Old 11-10-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year sober and thanks for the great post.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seriously well done
Old 11-11-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recovery is dealing with life and that's where you are right now. You have a shot at using your own resources to make the most out of life, to enjoy it as much as possible, and to make decisions with a clear head and take responsibility for the outcomes of those decisions. Alcoholics often refer to this as recovery. But what about Normies? They have to deal with life too. In fact, "living" (what the normies call recovery) is also dealing with life, and the same resources must be tapped to deal with the same problems you now face.

Living and recovery are the same thing. Both are the same ongoing process of learning and growing, or failing and falling. As alcoholics, we have a sense of this. I think we know that we can't just stop the train by drinking. The train of life doesn't stop. We just keep drinking because we are addicted. For alcoholics, recovery just means we deal with life without doing it in the fumbling stupor of addiction. How we do that is up to us, and the ways to do this are infinite. Without alcohol, a whole new field of possibilities is opened.

Practicing alcoholics deal with life by drinking. They use other skills too, but mostly they drink. Bad day at work and you drink. Good day at work and you celebrate (with a sequence of drinks). A really good alcoholic doesn't need reasons to drink. His life is just drinking,stumbling, and suffering. Can you think of anything less creative or constructive than that?

In recovery (sobriety), you level the playing field in your favor, so you can develop new skills. You have a chance a playing the game and giving it your best shot.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey brother congrats big time . super cool to read a great success story. Its real feel me . I too an on this journey with 191 days . and I'm not like white knuckling if you will. My life is actually more laid back. Whats cool is that this journey is not scripted like they say skies the limit. And I am wanting to fund out. What is store for us. ✌
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your year of Sobriety. Very inspiring ! I intend to embrace sobriety as you have.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you completely that recovery is so much more than being sober. It's a way of life.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A year is fantastic sydneyman, congratulations!

It's great to have the hard slog of early recovery behind you. Resources like SR are really useful for keeping a person grounded and not allowing complacency to seep in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20191111_165135.jpg (26.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, what an amazing achievement!! Congratulations on ur year!!!🙌🙌
Old 11-11-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations Sydneyman!! I think you're the same Syd I knew from the class of October 2015 thread? I'm so proud of you 💐🎂
Old 11-11-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Winslow!!!hello .. so good (well not really) to see someone here.
My third attempt (first real one) and here I am.
please message me. How you really doing?? ❤️