Notices

Feeling devastated.. need support

Old 11-09-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling devastated.. need support

Hey all,

I haven’t posted in a while because I thought I was doing well with this sobriety thing.. I’m at 569 days right now and I haven’t REALLY craved a drink until today. I resisted the urge but today my husband and I had a long talk about things that have been bothering us lately. I have felt the distance and that’s not like us.. I have always felt 100% secure in our relationship so this hit me like a ton of bricks. I am a stay at home (step)mom to his 6 year old twin boys and he works 6 days a week and long hours so I have some pent up resentment feeling alone raising children who I didn’t birth.. don’t get me wrong, I love them with all my heart but there are 3 parents here.. me, him and their mother and I carry most of the load with them and I don’t think that’s fair to do to someone. I’ve expressed this to him many times and he will start to help a little then go back to his ways and we’re back where we started. I noticed he started pulling away from me and I brought it up and he said that he’s having a hard time adjusting to the changes since my sobriety. I’ll admit, I rarely like to go out, always been introverted but even more now because I don’t have any liquid courage. He’s more extroverted and doesn’t like staying home all the time. This is the first I’m ever hearing of him having trouble with this. I have asked him before if it was hard and I’ve heard nothing but positive feedback. Then he said we don’t have fun anymore so in my head I’m thinking I’m not fun now since I quit drinking and that crushed me because this is who I really am without alcohol. He said he’s not happy. I know I have been somewhat cold because I have resentment towards him being gone all the time and not spending time with me or the kids but he has never expressed to me that anything was wrong when I tell him what I’m upset about. I can feel my heart breaking in my chest and I want to throw up and I really wish I could numb myself right now. He said he’s open to couples therapy. I never thought we would be the couple to need help and I’m terrified. Anyways, I wanted to know who else has struggled with their spouse adjusting to you being sober and how did you get through it? I’m extremely emotional and I feel devastated. I can’t name all the emotions.. I just really hate myself right now.. if I never had a problem with alcohol to begin with then this wouldn’t be happening 😢
Old 11-09-2019, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Couples counseling might be a good idea. I can understand having resentment over his long work schedule and infrequent parenting. I'd be upset too if it were me.

Don't throw away your sobriety over this, as upsetting as it may be. If you get the urge to drink, come here first and talk about it. We'll try our best to talk you out of it.

I hope you can work out couples counseling.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if I never had a problem with alcohol to begin with then this wouldn’t be happening ��

I'm sorry for what brings you here. Please please don't believe what you wrote above. Please don't think this is your fault or believe the last sentence you wrote. That's great for the AV to try and convince you to drink. Drinking won't solve anything but will make things ten times worse.

Many congratulations on your sober time - as you say, this is who you are. The sober you, the real you. A marriage drunk isn't the real you. I understand the dynamics as when I got sober i started to look at my marriage through different eyes. Things I'd previously ignored or drunk out were so prominent I had to deal with them.

I had 3.5 years sober then threw it all away and now only have a week. Believe me, it really is not worth throwing it all away for anything.

It seems there are many underlying issues and resentments but your getting sober is not to blame or the reason for any of them. And picking up again certainly won't solve anything.

I wish you well.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think couples therapy should be seen as some kind of punishment or weakness...sometimes couples - even those without any addition problems and especially those with blended families, run into situations like this.

As for fun - I have more fun now that I ever had drinking - its just that alcohol doesn't play a part in me having fun anymore.

For a partner that change can sometimes be a bit bewildering I think.

Maybe doing a few more fun things - either with or without the kids - that involves a little give and take on both sides couldn't hurt? Find common ground

The important thing is you stay sober - if it's a good marriage, and it sounds like it is even with the ups and downs, I really believe that things do work out so long as we leave our addiction in the past

D
Old 11-09-2019, 11:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time! 569 days is fantastic.

I understand exactly how you're feeling. But the good news is.... You and your husband have already started talking about how you both feel. That's the key here. It's so important that you both communicate your feelings.

I know you say you are having difficulty identifying your feelings/emotions and I totally understand that. For various reasons I grew up feeling guilty or ashamed of having feelings .... any feelings. ..... And as a result I locked all feelings away. I think that's a big part of why I drank the way I did..... Drinking allowed me to access some feelings, for a little while anyway. A book I read that really helped me in learning to identify my feelings and communicate them to others, which I hope I'm not breaking any rules by recommending here is 'Nonviolent communication - a language of life' by Marshall B Rosenberg. The 'violent' part of the title can be misleading and doesn't just refer to physical violence, it refers to any communication or non-communication that results in harm or hurt. The book has been a real eye-opener for me ..... Made me realise that when I feel hurt, rather than immediately blaming the other person, the hurt is actually a trigger for me to explore what's really going on for me. This helps me identify my true feelings and once I understand my feelings, it's much easier to communicate them to others. If you're finding it difficult to identify your emotions, it will be doubly difficult for your husband to second guess and try to work out how you're feeling. What I've learnt is that when I communicate my feelings clearly and calmly, my loved ones often had no idea I felt that way and are grateful for the guidance. People that love us want us to be happy but they're not mind readers and it's down to us to identify how we feel and communicate that.

A lot of your problems may melt away once you communicate clearly and counselling will definitely help with that. As for not being fun, I was a total party animal when I drank and whilst I dance on less tables now, I still dance on tables when the occasion requires some dancing on tables! Liquid courage is part of the whole alcohol myth. Alcohol doesn't make us brave, we make us brave. If you're introverted and don't want to go out so much now, that's fine. But maybe you could arrange a date night with your husband every so often. There are a million things you could do that are fun and don't involve you drinking alcohol. My husband and I did a zombie run the other day! It was amazing. 2 hours of being chased by zombies. I know that won't be everyone's cup of tea but the point I'm trying to make is that fun can be found everywhere .... In the strangest places. Part of the fun is finding fun new things to do.

I'm so sorry you're feeling devastated but this devastation could be the springboard you need to launch yourself into a fantastic future. Good luck xx
Old 11-10-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dearsobriety View Post
Hey all,

I haven’t posted in a while because I thought I was doing well with this sobriety thing.. I’m at 569 days right now and I haven’t REALLY craved a drink until today. I resisted the urge but today my husband and I had a long talk about things that have been bothering us lately. I have felt the distance and that’s not like us.. I have always felt 100% secure in our relationship so this hit me like a ton of bricks. I am a stay at home (step)mom to his 6 year old twin boys and he works 6 days a week and long hours so I have some pent up resentment feeling alone raising children who I didn’t birth.. don’t get me wrong, I love them with all my heart but there are 3 parents here.. me, him and their mother and I carry most of the load with them and I don’t think that’s fair to do to someone. I’ve expressed this to him many times and he will start to help a little then go back to his ways and we’re back where we started. I noticed he started pulling away from me and I brought it up and he said that he’s having a hard time adjusting to the changes since my sobriety. I’ll admit, I rarely like to go out, always been introverted but even more now because I don’t have any liquid courage. He’s more extroverted and doesn’t like staying home all the time. This is the first I’m ever hearing of him having trouble with this. I have asked him before if it was hard and I’ve heard nothing but positive feedback. Then he said we don’t have fun anymore so in my head I’m thinking I’m not fun now since I quit drinking and that crushed me because this is who I really am without alcohol. He said he’s not happy. I know I have been somewhat cold because I have resentment towards him being gone all the time and not spending time with me or the kids but he has never expressed to me that anything was wrong when I tell him what I’m upset about. I can feel my heart breaking in my chest and I want to throw up and I really wish I could numb myself right now. He said he’s open to couples therapy. I never thought we would be the couple to need help and I’m terrified. Anyways, I wanted to know who else has struggled with their spouse adjusting to you being sober and how did you get through it? I’m extremely emotional and I feel devastated. I can’t name all the emotions.. I just really hate myself right now.. if I never had a problem with alcohol to begin with then this wouldn’t be happening ��
You sound like a good person, a very strong person, a caring person that is not good at communicating. My wife was not good at communicating. She would give me the silent treatment and I would go upstairs and get drunk.

You are very lucky that he is open to couples therapy. Go for it and be honest with your emotions. It's amazing what happens when good people communicate.

I've been married for 33 years now. Here is the secret in once sentence: "Friendship is a deep oneness that develops when two people, speaking the truth in love to one another, journey together to the same horizon. " Pastor Tim Keller
Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think what you are going through is extremely common. My late hub and I were drinking buddies. And actually very close friends before we ever got involved romantically. But alcohol was part of our relationship. Like you I am introverted and used booze as a way to pull down my walls, make me less anxious, make 'comfortable'. I know he would have loved it if I could just 'control' my drinking, but he knew enough to know that was impossible. I mean, he was probably an alcoholic too. But not the kind of alcoholic I was.

Remove that lubricant, that 'thing' that was kind of central and defining of what we called 'fun' and yeah, that's a game changer.

I think it is great that the hubbie is open to counseling. I encourage you to run with that because that person can help you redefine the relationship. Help you communicate how you feel and what you need. In some ways you're getting to know yourself again, right? So imagine, that's got to be confusing for him too.

Don't sit in your head and worry. Find some help, there is no shame in that. And it can take a couple tries to find the right person, so don't give up.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Couples counseling might be a good idea. I can understand having resentment over his long work schedule and infrequent parenting. I'd be upset too if it were me.

Don't throw away your sobriety over this, as upsetting as it may be. If you get the urge to drink, come here first and talk about it. We'll try our best to talk you out of it.

I hope you can work out couples counseling.
Thank you so much for empathizing with me. I have a tendency to take all of the blame and guilt upon myself when there are problems and think it’s 100% my fault and then I spiral into a dark place. I will not throw my sobriety away over this, I have come too far and as I have learned in the past, alcohol will only make it worse. I am not used to dealing with heavy emotions sober and that has been my biggest struggle through this journey. Thank you for the support.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
if I never had a problem with alcohol to begin with then this wouldn’t be happening ��

I'm sorry for what brings you here. Please please don't believe what you wrote above. Please don't think this is your fault or believe the last sentence you wrote. That's great for the AV to try and convince you to drink. Drinking won't solve anything but will make things ten times worse.

Many congratulations on your sober time - as you say, this is who you are. The sober you, the real you. A marriage drunk isn't the real you. I understand the dynamics as when I got sober i started to look at my marriage through different eyes. Things I'd previously ignored or drunk out were so prominent I had to deal with them.

I had 3.5 years sober then threw it all away and now only have a week. Believe me, it really is not worth throwing it all away for anything.

It seems there are many underlying issues and resentments but your getting sober is not to blame or the reason for any of them. And picking up again certainly won't solve anything.

I wish you well.
Thank you for your response. I will not throw away my sobriety, I just can’t help but think this is all my fault. Thanks for sharing about what you went through with your marriage... I used to numb myself with alcohol and pretend everything was perfect. I wanted everything to be perfect all the time and I know that’s not realistic. When I got sober, I realized there were things that bothered me in the marriage but I shoved them deep inside because he was so considerate and compassionate through this journey. I feel like I don’t deserve him and I don’t have a right to ever be upset with him because he stuck by me at my worst. I know my points are valid and yet I feel guilty for feeling this way.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think couples therapy should be seen as some kind of punishment or weakness...sometimes couples - even those without any addition problems and especially those with blended families, run into situations like this.

As for fun - I have more fun now that I ever had drinking - its just that alcohol doesn't play a part in me having fun anymore.

For a partner that change can sometimes be a bit bewildering I think.

Maybe doing a few more fun things - either with or without the kids - that involves a little give and take on both sides couldn't hurt? Find common ground

The important thing is you stay sober - if it's a good marriage, and it sounds like it is even with the ups and downs, I really believe that things do work out so long as we leave our addiction in the past

D
Thank you, D. I know it’s a good thing that he’s willing to go to therapy, it’s just, before I used to think couples who need counseling are headed for divorce and that terrifies me. I don’t think that will happen to us because the love and understanding is still there and we are both willing to do the work but the thought of losing him causes me excruciating pain.
I can still have fun sober, I had to learn how to again but it’s definitely possible. The problem is we don’t get enough time together so if we don’t have time then it’s impossible to do anything. That’s something we need to work on as well.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dearsobriety - our friends gave you some great thoughts above and you are being so sincere and seeking that I'm proud of you. That's not easy for any of us.

I totally agree about counseling. My husband and are I both in recovery, and we did not know each other during our "drinking years" (we did date in high school then reconnected) however we do go to an awesome pastoral counselor to keep our communication and connection so close. I'm a step parent too - and tho my kids are older, it is difficult and a lot of work to figure out how to do the whole thing!!!

My first thought to your OP, tho, was as it always is when someone shares distress in sobriety: what are you doing for your recovery? I have to put AA program first and certainly thru my 2d year where you are, I needed its steps and program and support from others who get it. Al Anon sounds like it would be a very good thing for your husband.

I saw my parents struggle (to put it mildly, and certainly our whole family did) with my mom's raging alcoholism that was present about age 11 thru college (my brother is 3 yrs younger). Feeling like you are to blame, on top of going thru the also valid resentments or anger or fear or....that us alcoholics need to learn to handle - and move past- is pretty normal. Yet, I truly believe that alcoholics or not, one person is never to "blame" for relationship problems.

And I'm not sure if your husband would be willing to learn more about our disease and how both people need to process things and make changes for a post-drinking relationship to work (well, or at all). That would be a terrific thing to look into.

Glad you are here. I know those little ones are benefitting a whole lot from you being sober, even with other stuff happening.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Congratulations on your sober time! 569 days is fantastic.

I understand exactly how you're feeling. But the good news is.... You and your husband have already started talking about how you both feel. That's the key here. It's so important that you both communicate your feelings.

I know you say you are having difficulty identifying your feelings/emotions and I totally understand that. For various reasons I grew up feeling guilty or ashamed of having feelings .... any feelings. ..... And as a result I locked all feelings away. I think that's a big part of why I drank the way I did..... Drinking allowed me to access some feelings, for a little while anyway. A book I read that really helped me in learning to identify my feelings and communicate them to others, which I hope I'm not breaking any rules by recommending here is 'Nonviolent communication - a language of life' by Marshall B Rosenberg. The 'violent' part of the title can be misleading and doesn't just refer to physical violence, it refers to any communication or non-communication that results in harm or hurt. The book has been a real eye-opener for me ..... Made me realise that when I feel hurt, rather than immediately blaming the other person, the hurt is actually a trigger for me to explore what's really going on for me. This helps me identify my true feelings and once I understand my feelings, it's much easier to communicate them to others. If you're finding it difficult to identify your emotions, it will be doubly difficult for your husband to second guess and try to work out how you're feeling. What I've learnt is that when I communicate my feelings clearly and calmly, my loved ones often had no idea I felt that way and are grateful for the guidance. People that love us want us to be happy but they're not mind readers and it's down to us to identify how we feel and communicate that.

A lot of your problems may melt away once you communicate clearly and counselling will definitely help with that. As for not being fun, I was a total party animal when I drank and whilst I dance on less tables now, I still dance on tables when the occasion requires some dancing on tables! Liquid courage is part of the whole alcohol myth. Alcohol doesn't make us brave, we make us brave. If you're introverted and don't want to go out so much now, that's fine. But maybe you could arrange a date night with your husband every so often. There are a million things you could do that are fun and don't involve you drinking alcohol. My husband and I did a zombie run the other day! It was amazing. 2 hours of being chased by zombies. I know that won't be everyone's cup of tea but the point I'm trying to make is that fun can be found everywhere .... In the strangest places. Part of the fun is finding fun new things to do.

I'm so sorry you're feeling devastated but this devastation could be the springboard you need to launch yourself into a fantastic future. Good luck xx
Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely check out that book. It is hard for both of us to put into words all of our feelings and that’s what makes it difficult. I hope counseling will help with that. I used to be a party animal too and now I’m a homebody. He has mellowed out too.. a lot of it is because I’m not drinking every night anymore and also from just growing up. The main thing is we don’t have the time to go do anything and when we do, I’m too exhausted or resentful to go. I don’t feel like a priority and when I say no to going out then he doesn’t feel like a priority. Definitely need to find some middle ground there. I will try to look at this setback like I did with my sobriety.. I felt so miserable at first and now it’s the best thing that I ever did. I’m hoping it’s the same with me and my husband and sparks some change in both of us.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
You sound like a good person, a very strong person, a caring person that is not good at communicating. My wife was not good at communicating. She would give me the silent treatment and I would go upstairs and get drunk.

You are very lucky that he is open to couples therapy. Go for it and be honest with your emotions. It's amazing what happens when good people communicate.

I've been married for 33 years now. Here is the secret in once sentence: "Friendship is a deep oneness that develops when two people, speaking the truth in love to one another, journey together to the same horizon. " Pastor Tim Keller
Thank you so much for your insight. 33 years married is absolutely wonderful! We both have trouble communicating correctly. He is worse than me in that he tells me what I want to hear so he doesn’t hurt my feelings. So by both of us being afraid to tell the other how we really feel then we are both dealing with our issues alone, rather than together. I’m hoping counseling will help him open up and be honest.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
I think what you are going through is extremely common. My late hub and I were drinking buddies. And actually very close friends before we ever got involved romantically. But alcohol was part of our relationship. Like you I am introverted and used booze as a way to pull down my walls, make me less anxious, make 'comfortable'. I know he would have loved it if I could just 'control' my drinking, but he knew enough to know that was impossible. I mean, he was probably an alcoholic too. But not the kind of alcoholic I was.

Remove that lubricant, that 'thing' that was kind of central and defining of what we called 'fun' and yeah, that's a game changer.

I think it is great that the hubbie is open to counseling. I encourage you to run with that because that person can help you redefine the relationship. Help you communicate how you feel and what you need. In some ways you're getting to know yourself again, right? So imagine, that's got to be confusing for him too.

Don't sit in your head and worry. Find some help, there is no shame in that. And it can take a couple tries to find the right person, so don't give up.
Thank you for your response. You’re absolutely right that I’m learning about myself again and it’s very hard and confusing to know what is going on. He says we have both changed so much but I didn’t think that was a bad thing, the way he says it makes me feel like to him it is. He has a hard time telling me exactly when he means because he doesn’t want to trigger me. I made an appt with a therapist for us so I’m really hoping we can get to the bottom of this and know it’s ok not to agree on everything all the time and he doesn’t have to worry about upsetting me. I know he wishes I could “control” my drinking too but it’s not an option for me and for that I feel incredible guilt and shame.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lots of great support and info here. Seeking professional guidance is, I think, a good idea. Providing all involved are honest with themselves. Support to you and yours.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Dearsobriety - our friends gave you some great thoughts above and you are being so sincere and seeking that I'm proud of you. That's not easy for any of us.

I totally agree about counseling. My husband and are I both in recovery, and we did not know each other during our "drinking years" (we did date in high school then reconnected) however we do go to an awesome pastoral counselor to keep our communication and connection so close. I'm a step parent too - and tho my kids are older, it is difficult and a lot of work to figure out how to do the whole thing!!!

My first thought to your OP, tho, was as it always is when someone shares distress in sobriety: what are you doing for your recovery? I have to put AA program first and certainly thru my 2d year where you are, I needed its steps and program and support from others who get it. Al Anon sounds like it would be a very good thing for your husband.

I saw my parents struggle (to put it mildly, and certainly our whole family did) with my mom's raging alcoholism that was present about age 11 thru college (my brother is 3 yrs younger). Feeling like you are to blame, on top of going thru the also valid resentments or anger or fear or....that us alcoholics need to learn to handle - and move past- is pretty normal. Yet, I truly believe that alcoholics or not, one person is never to "blame" for relationship problems.

And I'm not sure if your husband would be willing to learn more about our disease and how both people need to process things and make changes for a post-drinking relationship to work (well, or at all). That would be a terrific thing to look into.

Glad you are here. I know those little ones are benefitting a whole lot from you being sober, even with other stuff happening.
Thank you so much for your kind response. Yes, everything said here has been very helpful and I’m very grateful for all of you. You are correct that it’s not all one person’s fault but I also have pure obsessional OCD and the way I deal with these things is to ruminate, I always feel guilty and that I’m at fault and I am trying to remind myself that I suffer from that and I am making it worse when in reality, getting counseling may be the best thing to happen to us. Thanks for sharing that you also go to counseling with your husband, it helps to hear that it’s not so uncommon.
So, I have tried AA and I did really like it until they expected me to be at every meeting and that just wasn’t possible with my husband’s work schedule and long hours. They started to shame me for only coming when I could and it made me very uncomfortable and not welcome. I will try to look for another meeting in the area but we live in a very small town so those people that made me feel bad for not going all the time will likely be at the other meetings as well. My husband has been very supportive through this whole thing so finding out he was struggling with this life change kind of knocked me on my heels. But I’m sure he would be willing to learn more about the disease. I know he is understanding of it all but he just isn’t entirely happy about it. I mean, neither am I but it is what it is. One thing I am very happy about is that the kids were too young to ever remember me drinking. If they see someone drinking a beer or any other adult beverage they say “you don’t like that, you like water” 😊