Notices

New Orleans Can be a Drunk Place

Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Orleans Can be a Drunk Place

I just got back from a 4 day trip, and no, I didn't drink. The reason I went is because I wanted to see a Louisiana Swamp, which I did by Kayak on a tour. I also visited the WWII Museum. I stayed in a little Inn in the French Quarter two blocks from Bourbon Street, and of course I took a walk through that iconic place after a late night shrimp dinner. I expected Bourbon Street to be a bit more up scale. After all, some of the most famous musicians that ever lived played there, but it's just an area in a poor neighborhood that is lined with dive after dive. It makes no pretensions about being elegant. Not like that's bad. It is what it is, and I felt entirely safe there.

There were probably other gawkers like me, but it creates the impression that everyone is drinking heavily. It seemed like most people walking down the street had drinks in their hands, and most seemed to be having fun. Of course, one did not have to look long to identify the staggering drunks who were much too drunk to be having fun at all. The worst off were just struggling to find their way down the street.

But in the French Quarter, you don't have to be on Bourbon Street at night to watch drunks. I hung out in open air cafes in the morning and afternoons, as drunks and street people came and went. It's home to the poor, and the place is more run down than anything. But it's not threatening.

The last morning before heading to the airport I stopped at a open air cafe and ordered more than I wanted, because to get eggs and hash browns, I could only order something called the "Southern Breakfast for $14.99." I ate part of the scrabbled eggs and speared a few hash browns, and then pushed the plate aside as I settled back to enjoy the coffee. I suppose I sat there sipping coffee for maybe 15 minutes, and then a hungover drunk, or perhaps just an infirm homeless person, hauled himself up the steps with great difficulty onto the raised dining area. He took a seat at the table next to me and ineptly tried to make friendly conversation. I responded to him a few times. Finally, he looked at my plate and asked if I was going to finish my breakfast. I said, "No," and told him he could have it if he wanted. He looked at me like a dog that isn't quite sure if the treat you are holding out for him is actually his.

I pushed the plate over to him, and gestured for him to take it. He smiled and cautiously took the plate, not so much because he wasn't sure, but I think it was because he was shaking so bad, he was worried that he would drop it. At least I was worried he would drop it, but he managed, although it was touch and go, and he did actually drop the toast into his lap, which he put back on the plate with shaking hands before he settled in to finish what was left of more than half of the original order. He never asked for money. He just wanted something to eat. When I left, we bumped fists like we were the best of friends, and I smiled and said something cheery, but I left feeling sad. He looked in seriously bad shape. I had the feeling he wouldn't make it long enough to see next Spring.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There certainly are a lot of places where drinking is more prevalent/pronounced - but I do think that as former drinkers we are more sensitive to it/notice it more. A nice gesture to share your meal with someone in need, maybe in some way it will help him down the road too.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good story.
You must not make it to big cities too much. I see what you describe on an almost daily basis.
And yes New Orleans is a place with more drinkers than most. I can't quantify everyone's agenda, but I think drinking is the reason most people go there.
I've been there six times and I was drinking four of those times.
It seemed like heaven had come to Earth when I was drinking.
Bars open twenty four hours. Relatively inexpensive drinks. Other drunks there for the same reason I was.

Sober, I saw it in a different light.
I love New Orleans. It is a culture unto itself, with history of tragedy, recovery and a way and pace of life unto itself. With people of all persuasions and ethnicities living together in one of the most diverse cities in the country.
But make no mistake, it 's a rough town. Seamy and beautiful at the same time.
I love large cities, so it holds a special attraction to me because of it's uniqueness similar to San Francisco or New York city.
New Orleans is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I can't think of a place where, for me, it would be harder to get and stay sober.
Kinda like Las Vegas.

I hope you got to see some of the history of New Orleans, like the Garden District.
There is beauty in New Orleans. You just have to look for it.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was a four day trip, two of which were for travel, so I only had two days to see things, the the only pre-planned thing was the Kayaking in the swamp. I didn't see the Garden District. I guess I should have posted before I went. The French Quarter itself, was probably the most interesting part of what I saw, and it is diverse, not only ethnically, but across all walks of life. The rest of what I saw to and from the airport was just typical big city, and of zero interest to me. But the French Quarter made the trip.

And no I don't get to cities very often. Frankly, they usually drive me batty. I grew up in Chicago, left on my own when I was seventeen, and couldn't wait to get away from the place. I'm definitely small town, and when I retired, I isolated myself even more. My post office now is just an unincorporated village without a stop light and a just a 45 mph speed limit through "town". Town? Well we have a gas station, and that's about it. It's 16 miles to buy groceries.

Indigents and the homeless are something I was never exposed to until about 10 years ago when I spent a winter in Victoria, BC. I've sheltered my life from that, and I recognize that I have sheltered, but only from city things. It's not like my life has been wanting in richness and nature.

You know, that guy I gave my breakfast to just seemed like a guy trying to survive. I was amazed that some people live like that. I cannot imagine doing that myself, but I realize there are people who don't have the ability to make it in what you and I consider normal society. I was happy to give him my breakfast, but all I did was solve an immediate need for one part of his day.

And the drunks trying to find their way down the street, I understand that too. I don't know what I can to for them. I hate realizing they have to find their own way out, but I can't save them, and I'm not going to tell them to go someplace else.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's sad to watch. I have to remind myself that yes, I see it more than many - and that overall? We are the huge minority of the population, as alcoholics, and a smaller one in active recovery.

It does remind me, every day, that alcohol kills more people a year than opioids, for example. In many ways - not just cirrhosis and atrocious deaths.

And yeah - I'm VERY excited we are going to have a restaurant industry recovery group in New Orleans soon. Vegas too. Then again, the one in Columbus OH or Asheville NC is just as needed.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There certainly are a lot of places where drinking is more prevalent/pronounced - but I do think that as former drinkers we are more sensitive to it/notice it more. A nice gesture to share your meal with someone in need, maybe in some way it will help him down the road too.
Yes, I think we are more sensitive to it. We realize how powerful its grip can be, even if we may not have reached the same bottom.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been in treatment with homeless folks because there have been times I've had no insurance and was willing to do anything to stop drinking, but knew I could not do it alone. What I realized is they are no different then I am, just not as lucky. And more often than not, in my experience, suffering from untreated mental illness, along with substance use disorder.

A very fine line separates me from them. My heart breaks for the homeless. I am just privileged and very lucky.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life Driguy

D
Old 11-09-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've gotten to the point where I'm able to help the homeless, and there are many near me, in a little way.
When I go to the grocery or drug store, I get an extra five dollars.
I give it to a homeless person. There's a very small patch of dirt two of them sleep on outside the store and I usually give it to one of them if they're awake. They are both mentally ill. They told me.
I mean, what kind of country do we live in when the least among us have to ask for food or sleep in rags in dirt?
It sickens me.

Last week neither one of them was awake, so I gave the five to a guy who said he wanted to buy a sandwich. He had the look I used to, an active alcoholic.
So what if he spends it on a bottle. Maybe it'll take him away from the abject poverty he lives in for awhile.

It all just sickens me. I've lived in the middle of big cities my entire adult life. I know the streets. I ride the bus and walk. I'm among the people. And these people are just as valuable as the guy in the expensive car.
They're mentally ill. They're addicted. They're situationally homeless.
Some one has to care for these people. Advocate. I try to.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I expected Bourbon Street to be a bit more up scale. After all, some of the most famous musicians that ever lived played there, but it's just an area in a poor neighborhood that is lined with dive after dive. It makes no pretensions about being elegant.

I was in New Orleans a couple of years ago and of course wanted to see Bourbon street. It was a dump and smelled like a dumpster. The wife and I walked thru it and had no desire to stop anywhere.

There are a lot of cool places in New Orleans, Bourbon street is not one of them.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ha! Even before I was a true alcoholic, I never wanted to do Mardi Gras with friends in college. Ugh.

And once I was a full blown disaster, and driving with open containers HERE, thank God I didn't go to LA, where I believe it is still legal to go thru a drive in liquor store, and other places serve alcoholic slushies and stuff, because I would have completely lost my already pitiful judgment!!

I have a bit of a different view on helping homeless people. Food, yes. Taking someone into the little grocery in downtown chattanooga, where there are an unbelievable amount of homeless people, to buy her $30 of groceries (which bought a lot there), yes. Working as a server for a long time and always having cash on me when I was walking from work or such, made me leery of pulling it out to give away. I might have done a lot of desperate things to someone trying to help me and living in Atlanta, for example, a lot of evening and night time outside isn't a good safe way for me to help others.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
There are a lot of cool places in New Orleans, Bourbon street is not one of them.
I would describe it as a curiosity, a very curious kind of curiosity, or maybe even "freakish". For me, that would be a better description. The entire French Quarter is a curiosity. It just gets elevated to its full height on Bourbon Street after dark. It may also be cool, not so much for me, but I have friends who would claim that calling it cool would be a disservice to the wonder of the place.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I love New Orleans. It is a culture unto itself, with history of tragedy, recovery and a way and pace of life unto itself. With people of all persuasions and ethnicities living together in one of the most diverse cities in the country.
But make no mistake, it 's a rough town. Seamy and beautiful at the same time.
I love large cities, so it holds a special attraction to me because of it's uniqueness similar to San Francisco or New York city.
New Orleans is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I can't think of a place where, for me, it would be harder to get and stay sober.
Kinda like Las Vegas.

I hope you got to see some of the history of New Orleans, like the Garden District.
There is beauty in New Orleans. You just have to look for it.
Ghostlight, you said it well.

New Orleans is my favorite American city.

I have family that relocated/returned to New Orleans several years ago so I get to see some of the everyday side life of life there. I'm hoping that someday, when I'm retired, I can spend a couple weeks a year there.

Since getting sober, I've been there three times and each has been a delight. Frenchman's Street has great music clubs. The last time I was there, I spent an afternoon there. At the Spotted Cat, after the purchase of my first Diet Coke, the bartender gave me free refills and said "glad you're here, honey." It's that kind of place. I listened to glorious jazz and, down the street, vintage country. It's not where the partiers go.

Traveling sober involves more planning and decision-making, I think. How will you spend your time? What's important to you? Should you be in a place where there will be a lot of drinking?

In other words, it's a lot like life.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's nice to read about some of our SR folks visiting
my neck of the woods. I live about and hour from
there and really have no need to go there, but I am
familiar with it.

My parents took us every yr. to the Sunday Mid City
Mardi Gras Parade, parking , walking and standing in
the same place to catch many of those glorious beads
for yrs.

Then several times in my drinking career to Pat O'Brians
for those tall, Long Isle Teas that I inhaled like koolaid to
only get so sick that the car was pulled over. Yuk....

I moved to Houston 7 yrs sober where I lived for 10yrs
with my little family and when Hurricane Katrina hit. Then
several yrs later, i returned to Baton Rouge where I am proud
call Louisiana my state and home.

Today, im married to a man who is from New Orleans,
born and raised there. He's like me, we both are familiar
with New Orleans and it's culture, but have no need
to venture that way.

Cafe Du Monde is another wonderful place that
serves those delicious white powdered donuts and
their milk coffee. It's a childhood memory too.

Then my folks would go once a yrs to the open
market for Muffaletta sandwhich fixings and
a box of my favorite dessert....Angelo Brocato's
Bakery Cannoli 's....All of it is.....YUMMY...!!!!!

After the hurricane hit, it did change and allowed
new changes to occur which it needed desperately.

However, all the good that came out of New Orleans
will never change. Good musicians, culture and food.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Cafe Du Monde is another wonderful place that
serves those delicious white powdered donuts and
their milk coffee. It's a childhood memory too.
Everyone from Montana, Virginia, Arizona, or anywhere, says go to the Cafe Du Monde. I mapped it out before I went there. It was a 15 minute walk from my inn. It seems to be the most crowded eatery in the French Quarter, even though it must have at least 50 tables. It's a wonder they can draw that huge crowd late into the evening, since it's basically a doughnut shop, and all it sells is one kind of doughnut, which doesn't even look like a doughnut. There is always a jazz band honored to be allowed to play there. Mine was a Dixieland band. Almost 8 dollars buys you three of their donunts called "binets" or something like that. They come with a cup of chicory coffee. I ate one and gave the extra two to a nearby table, because I didn't want the sugar rush so early in the morning.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are hilarious DriGuy. Beignets are their whole special treat and worth it. I giggled at your suprise that the cafe was busy into the night. I'm glad you got to the city this time, tho, to see at least one version of it!
Old 11-11-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes I know I live here 😒

Alcohol is sold at your kids baseball games, alcohol is part of a culture here ...it's just a normal to drink anytime of the day.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I giggled at your suprise that the cafe was busy into the night.
LOL Country boy goes to the big city bound and determined to show these city slickers a thing or two. Then gets overwhelmed and goes home the next day.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ha!

I also smiled at your comment about what it cost for the three beignets - I was like "huh, that's a deal!"
Old 11-11-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
LOL Country boy goes to the big city bound and determined to show these city slickers a thing or two. Then gets overwhelmed and goes home the next day.
That is funny.
There was a Café Du Monde in Atlanta years ago when Under Ground was open.
I like beignets, they are sugary, though. Coffee is excellent.
Like crawfish, a somewhat acquired taste