Notices

Day 34

Old 11-05-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 34

34 days since my last drink,
My brother phoned me the other day, he is the male version of me, there is six of us, 4 boys 2 girls, 4 of them are all turned good living going to bible studies, church, and generally being gods children, they wernt always like this but they have found there peace, so anyway back to the other brother, he rang to talk as he always does, said we must get a catch up, come down for a drink, I said I'm trying to stay off it, but il come down anyway, no drink,
Well since then it's been going through my mind, sure I could maybe just drink a couple, then I'm arguing with myself in my head that I don't need or want it, but still it keeps talking, I haven't made any plans yet to visit, maybe I'm not strong enough yet
Old 11-05-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 34 days. Yeah, you might not be up for it yet. Social scenarios with drinking buddies is the hardest for me.

Do whatever is the right thing.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

sure I could maybe just drink a couple,
abstinence and control are two different things

Its the first drink that starts the madness Boggle, not the last.

I had to treasure my recovery and make decisions based on that.
Being around a drinker is maybe not the best thing for early recovery.

well done on 34 days

D
Old 11-06-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 34 days!

Whether you decide to go or not you might find Dee's social situation survival guide useful going forward;

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

34 days is brilliant, Boggle. It's certainly not worth "a couple." Really, what satisfaction would that give you? If it were me, I can only see two possibilities:
1) I'd think, "Well that was dumb." Sort of like the ruefulness I feel after eating a piece of not particularly good cake.
2) I'd think, "I've ruined my 34 days now - might as well make it worth it by getting drunk."

Is there a reason that having a drink is a necessary part of seeing your brother? Could you instead meet at your home, go for an ice cream, wander around a park? Does your brother know you've decided you're done with drinking? If he's the male version of you, I'll bet he'd be chuffed.*

O

* I'm so pleased to have a legitimate opportunity to use "chuffed" in a sentence.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 34 days Boggle! I was at that place yesterday myself romanticizing a couple of drinks. I am so grateful/fortunate/relieved I woke up
sober. Two drinks for me would constitute 40 minutes- what would I do with the other 23 hours and 20 minutes of the day-obsess/lose control/be uncomfortable /shamed and ultimately drink until I pass out.

I can not wait to get my 30 day chip- 34 days is a miracle
Awesome
Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boggle10 View Post
he rang to talk as he always does, said we must get a catch up, come down for a drink, I said I'm trying to stay off it, but il come down anyway, no drink,
Wow, you're doing great! Just one question.

Are you sure you're done with drinking? Your wording doesn't convey that to me. Are you "trying" to stay off it or are you done with it?? It seems different to me. I think he needs to hear you say that you don't drink anymore. That, to me, seems a lot more final than just trying.

I tried many times, but I wasn't done with it until now!

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

34 days is awesome Boggle! And good posts from others above - and for me, I didn't do or go anywhere that stressed me out in any way, for a long time actually. I knew I had to be and wanted to be DONE drinking - everything I did and everyone I spent time with (including fam) supported that.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replys and words of wisdom, my brother knows I am done with this crap he was one of my biggest supporters last time I quit, I am a 48 Yr old not in my 20s anymore, life is short and not worth the hangovers, well saying that its not a hangover if you never sober up long enough to have a hangover, no il go down a few hours and be the designated driver and il cook for him and his wife, I probably worded my thread wrong. Its that voice in my head that just needs to shut up x
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replys and words of wisdom, my brother knows I am done with this crap he was one of my biggest supporters last time I quit, I am a 48 Yr old not in my 20s anymore, life is short and not worth the hangovers, well saying that its not a hangover if you never sober up long enough to have a hangover, no il go down a few hours and be the designated driver and il cook for him and his wife, I probably worded my thread wrong. Its that voice in my head that just needs to shut up x
Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mag, my word I'm trying ment at the moment I'm doing the best that I can in this moment, to me if I tell myself I'm never going to drink again. It would be like being on a diet, I can't have cake, then I'd want that cake, I know in my heart I'm done with booze and at the minute I'm doing OK, I hope by the grace of God I can keep it up, I hope this makes sence,
Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Obladi, I'm chuffed for myself and all Sr friends that are on this journey, its a lovely word. Chuffed x
Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on 34days yay

And I'm "chuffed" you're done with drinking
Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boggle10 View Post
I like a plan