Notices

soda and chips and icecream- oh my!

Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

soda and chips and icecream- oh my!

feeling guilty on the diet. But I am sober, concentrating on that.
day 11.
Next week I will implement healthier eating and exercise.
That will help my mood.
I know if I try to much to fast- I get overwhelmed .
Beth xo
Old 11-05-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel you. So many people talk about losing weight, well let me tell you I gained nearly 15 pounds since my journey down the sober road.

My AV of course loves this and tries to convince me it’s just one more reason to keep drinking.

I wonder if there’s a sugar AV and and alcohol AV and if we can get them to fight one another, meanwhile, we can get on with a healthier life.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I feel you. So many people talk about losing weight, well let me tell you I gained nearly 15 pounds since my journey down the sober road.

My AV of course loves this and tries to convince me it’s just one more reason to keep drinking.

I wonder if there’s a sugar AV and and alcohol AV and if we can get them to fight one another, meanwhile, we can get on with a healthier life.
LOL great idea keep those AV's occupied by battling it out-
I agree MY AV personally loves the -getting Sober = mindless eating=weight gain. It then suggests or dictates actually- to drink until your to ill to even stomach food. But since a full pint of vodka totals 1,040 calories.....never really succeeded in hitting my goal weight .
Old 11-05-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Try not to focus on your weight. Mine went up and down and well, life happened. I'm doing ok today with no weight issues! Take one day at a time and create the sober life you want to live. How cool is that!?!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Try not to focus on your weight. Mine went up and down and well, life happened. I'm doing ok today with no weight issues! Take one day at a time and create the sober life you want to live. How cool is that!?!
Very COOL
Thank you- needed to hear just that!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Oh how I wish this was the case...

My sugar Beast came to life when I stopped drinking. So much so that I have now had to give that up as well. Just like alcohol, I am unable to moderate it.

Faith at 11 days do whatever it takes!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
feeling guilty on the diet. But I am sober, concentrating on that.
day 11.
Next week I will implement healthier eating and exercise.
That will help my mood.
I know if I try to much to fast- I get overwhelmed .
Beth xo
Not only is it one day at a time, but also one thing at a time. You are absolutely right to focus on your sobriety, because without that everything else is pointless. Yes, for some of us weight gain is a reality in early recovery and yes, our AV LOVES it - but how is going back to the bottle really going to fix things?
Again, you are doing the right thing - give it the time needed, three months, six months, until you are surefooted in your sobriety and THEN you’ll tackle the next thing, the infamous sugar dragon! You’ve got this!
Old 11-06-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I never lost any weight because I didn't restrict my sugar intake. It worked though, and I am much better for it.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 11!

It took me 3 months to get a handle on my food (Maltesers and crisps) but it seems to be levelling off now.

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what will be right for you Beth.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the support and encouragement.
I decided I will indulge in any food/sugar/salt/fizzy drink cravings I may have
for the first couple of weeks. For some reason my sick mind has a shut off button when I am satiated from food. I will work on making healthier choices to feel better. As someone says if I do not get sober what is the whole point of any of it.
My body/brain and well being all around will be ravaged with alcohol.

Thank you for the reminders. Typing all this out really helps my frame of mind.
it was really nice waking up to day 12 today.

I wish everyone a sober, content and a feeling a well being today.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post

I decided I will indulge in any food/sugar/salt/fizzy drink cravings I may have
for the first couple of weeks.
I indulged myself for about 10 months. As said before, don't try and do everything at once.

Best thing to do is be kind to yourself. A little indulgence here and there won't hurt.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Well done on day 12.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Count me in the group who gained a bunch of weight after I quit. I ate a lot of junk food--especially ice cream. But I didn't quit drinking to lose weight; I quit to save my life and if I gained weight, so be it.

After I'd been sober a bit (I don't remember how long, it's all really blurry now), I started making healthy changes. I'm now much healthier than I have been in my life, at a good weight and in pretty good shape.

I found it helpful to focus on sobriety first, and then make changes as I felt more comfortable. Some people found cutting out sugar helped them quit. I guess see what works for you and run with it.

Whatever keeps you sober as you learn how to live in a new, better way!

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes alcohol is in the same family as sugar?
Thanks everyone and Cup of Joe you are correct. Nobody is going to be like "wow she looks great thin"... while I am lying in my coffin. Truth.
A day at a time, today its a moment at a time for some reason.
Meeting at 1p. Showered , dress, fresh , called the Dr. Going to walk over to find out about that *get well* job. It starts at 6pm so I will be able to go to my meeting during the day. I need to order a duplicate license since mine was lost during a drunken run or should I say stumble-

Thank you everyone for your compassion and empathy
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great plan on day 12 faith! Yay.

And I started eating well but also a major ice cream phase that started pretty quickly....it's gone up and done and while I had back surgery 2 mo ago and can't exercise now, as I got sober and healthy my activity level from work to hot yoga and 5Ks skyrocketed.

I'm 3 yr 8+ mo in and have found a decent balance of how to eat... I'm probably skinnier not but out of shape - I don't love my tummy but my smaller jeans still fit so...

Proud of you - keep going. Everything gets better and being alive, thin or not, I'm betting you'll see like I have that what people WILL notice most is this change and shift and happiness within you that we can find.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great plan on day 12 faith! Yay.

And I started eating well but also a major ice cream phase that started pretty quickly....it's gone up and done and while I had back surgery 2 mo ago and can't exercise now, as I got sober and healthy my activity level from work to hot yoga and 5Ks skyrocketed.

I'm 3 yr 8+ mo in and have found a decent balance of how to eat... I'm probably skinnier not but out of shape - I don't love my tummy but my smaller jeans still fit so...

Proud of you - keep going. Everything gets better and being alive, thin or not, I'm betting you'll see like I have that what people WILL notice most is this change and shift and happiness within you that we can find.
Thank you August! (You are becoming my sober board woman sponser)
Hot Yoga sounds sooooooo enticing. I really need to start the beginner yoga meetings.
Exercise makes me feel so wonderful thank you for the reminder.
Thank you everyone xoxo- Beth
Old 11-06-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You can give me some nice warm chocolate chip cookies and milk and I'm golden instead of booze
Old 11-06-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
You can give me some nice warm chocolate chip cookies and milk and I'm golden instead of booze
Now that sounds like a comforting indulgence. The best part about it is it will not kill me. They even encourage Santa to unwind with that treat.
Go figure and it is not poison.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's very common to replace alcohol with sweets in the first year of recovery.

I have a couple of homemade cookies plus a special ice cream bar(Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Dark Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Bar, best thing I EVER ate!) every night. Sure, it's probably around 400 additional calories, but that's way less than the 2-3 bottles of wine I used to drink every night, not to mention late night food binges on top of the alcohol calories.

There is an adjustment phase in recovery - your body is both healing and in the process of finding equilibrium. Be mindful of overindulgence, but give yourself the space to enjoy some treats.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey, Faith--day 11 is an awesome achievement, and don't worry about your diet-first things first. When I was drinking, I hardly ever ate anything-it only got in the way of the buzz anyhow. Later on, at rehab I made up for it, but my body needed food-and it def got it-I was especially fond of a big breakfast! Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Better to binge on soda and chips and ice cream than alcohol. The food cravings will go away and you'll be able to eat a more more moderate diet. Just stay sober!