Notices

Son has bought it home ......

Old 11-04-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son has bought it home ......

...... with just one comment.

I hope it is ok to put this link - https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2019/10/...-rising-stars/.

If you scroll down to Owen Lewis, that is my amazingly wonderful son. He has done everything in that article and a lot more.

BUT that very first comment 'During his school years, Owen was a young carer' hurt.

My initial reaction was 'no he blooming well wasn't!' and then I realised, he was. He was a school-aged child (just turned 14 so at the beginning of the most important parts of his education) when I started abusing alcohol.

I may have kept a job down for most of it - though just about keeping to the required standard and using it as an excuse to not do housework - and kept us fed (if ready meals and stuff out of cans counts as cooking). But emotionally I could have been there a lot more for him. Practically I could have done a lot more.

During this time not only did he work his socks off (at his poor performing school) he also kept our household going, caring for the dog and keeping me safe, When I used the excuse of not getting dressed during the day because I worked from home, he'd get back from school and insist I got showered and changed at least for the evening.

The only positive I am feeling at this moment is that in the past I would have (unjustifiably) insulted and use it as an excuse to get drunk and feel sorry for myself. Instead I'm sitting here with a mug of tea and posting on here.

I do apologise if this sounds a bit of a 'self indulgent' post, just the need to get it out somewhere and you are the only people that may understand.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no problem posting this as long as you're ok with effectively compromising your anonymity StartAnew,

He seems like a wonderful young man.

You must be very proud of Owen and., despite your guilt, I think that's a testament to you too

D
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a wonderful young man! Awesome xxx
Old 11-04-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Congratulations to your son for his accomplishments. He’s a mature and caring young man. I’m glad you haven’t focused on the wording of his piece but turned it around to a positive. Good for you all around .
Old 11-04-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They thrive in spite of us, huh? I dunno. Adversity can make certain people stronger, more empathetic, better problem solvers, better in a crisis. Emotionally mature.

I often ask myself why my traumatic childhood kind of took me apart. And my daughters seems to be a super power to her. I think my recognizing my problem and at least trying to change has meant a lot to her. Maybe.

All I know is her life is hers and she's killing it. I actually don't have much to do with her successes or failures really.

And Owen sounds like an amazing, compassionate young man. You should be so proud.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Just read his bio. OMG you have an amazing son. Looked up "young carer," and yes accurate.

We are blessed to be sober parents!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations to Owen, I love that his success is completely focused on giving back to others and making things better for others. He has a lot to be proud of.

These are the same qualities I see from you on SR. You support others through what you’ve learned.

I know you must be very proud of Owen, the world needs more kids like him.❤️
Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

But why the need to call himself a child carer of a parent? He’s clearly doing well, so he doesn’t need to use you, to paint himself in a better light, having a difficult childhood background, as the child carer of a parent. To insinuate he succeeded, despite his background.

There was simply no need to add that carer title. If I were you, I’d feel so belittled and publically shamed. I’d contact the newspaper and ask them to remove that ‘carer’ word.

I mean, you were working, keeping a roof over his head, whilst he went to school, and you didn’t start abusing alcohol until he was 14! I’m sorry, but I just see this differently, and I really feel for you. Are you still in communication? Perhaps if you ask, he’ll contact the paper himself and ask for it to be edited.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
But why the need to call himself a child carer of a parent? He’s clearly doing well, so he doesn’t need to use you, to paint himself in a better light, having a difficult childhood background, as the child carer of a parent. To insinuate he succeeded, despite his background.

There was simply no need to add that carer title. If I were you, I’d feel so belittled and publically shamed. I’d contact the newspaper and ask them to remove that ‘carer’ word.

I mean, you were working, keeping a roof over his head, whilst he went to school, and you didn’t start abusing alcohol until he was 14! I’m sorry, but I just see this differently, and I really feel for you. Are you still in communication? Perhaps if you ask, he’ll contact the paper himself and ask for it to be edited.
Careful there Tasty, I do get where you are coming form but there is nothing in the world that compares to being a parent and being proud (or feeling guilty or any emotion). This is incredibly delicate and sensitive, it touches a nerve like no other.

I do know that if my son wrote out that he felt he had to care for me as a parent I would feel a whole wild world of emotions, but most of all proud. Be gentle here, this is a very, very delicate subject. I know all too well.

Congratulations dear StartAnew, you have a WONDERFUL son. I hope mine will come out as good, or near to that.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind responses everyone xx

Tatsy, we shall have to agree to disagree. I am not offended in the slightest by his observation. With total respect, I was in the ‘life’ with my son and I totally understand and accept where he was coming from.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you StartAnew, forgiveness is healing. There was some projection in my post, because I know of young adults, who were proper child carers, of physically disabled parents, from a young age, not teenage years, and they coped and schooled themselves. And they never used their parents, to highlight disadvantage, in their resume.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us know the ins and outs of Starts story...not in detail.

I know where you're coming from and I know your hearts in the right place but
you've made your point, the OP doesn't see it the way you do....I think it's time to move on Tatsy

D
Old 11-04-2019, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn’t return to the thread and haven’t read anything at all since my last post on this and will not as I am not going to let anything knock my recovery. I can accept constructive criticism but not ‘attacks’.

I’ve learnt my lesson not to open up on here - happy to talk in the class, the 24 thread and support others but this is my last ‘opening’ post.

Let’s just let this die now please.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Closed by request OP.

D