Of all the Landlords I've left Before by Willie Nelson

Old 11-01-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Of all the Landlords I've left Before by Willie Nelson

Subtitle: "All my Exes live with hexes"

With a bow to country music greats, I offer this essay to former landlords.

I lost my house in 2012. What followed was a series of VERY interesting folks I rented from.
I got word yesterday that an offer I put on a house was approved, and they are renting to me until escrow closes. Today I give my current landlord 30 days notice and will begin moving immediately.

Landlord #1 seemed like a really decent guy. When I asked him why his picture was up on the web on Megan's law website, he assured me that he had been framed.
Two months after I rented his place and moved in, he married a crazy woman from a foreign country. She was noise and drama personified. I had trouble figuring out which of the two of them deserved each other the most.
She started a business marrying off her countrymen to U.S. citizens for cash. She eyed me as a potential "volunteer" until I let her know I was still legally married and unavailable. She was so noisy and bossy, he eventually divorced her.

Landlord #2 was a corporation from a nearby city who bound me to the terms of a lease, but didn't seem to care who moved in the other apartments around the courtyard. Eventually, foreign smoke was visible from the groups of people huddled outside my front door, and it wasn't tobacco. All of this in front of some toddlers running around. There also appeared to be a prostitute visiting the men next door. Many of you folks, including LexieCat (remember her?), helped me a lot.

Landlord #3 was a rich pothead from the coast. The only care he showed about his property was collecting the rent every month. He sold last summer to the current landlord.

The current landlord is an Iraq war veteran with PTSD and alcoholism. He finds addicted street women to be just the comfort he needs. One of the most recent ended up living in his backyard next to my fence after he got tired of her.

While Willie Nelson and George Straight sing on, I will start packing things and figuring out where I will hang that sconce and picture in the new place.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am just so happy for you! I know it's been such a mess. I remember the girl living next to the fence! Horrible.

I miss Lexie! I hope she is doing well. I wish you all the best of luck on your move, and I hope it's everything you want in a home, you deserve it friend!
Old 11-01-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Look for some reputable property management companies in your area via Google reviews. I've never met 85% of my tenants and they/most pay their rent on time and everyone seems happy and like hard working people. I know that rents can be a tad cheaper going straight from the owner,but the property manager is as much working for you as they are the property owners,much like a realtor has a buyer/seller that are looking out for their clients best interest. The property manager wants both parties happy.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so happy you're going to own your own place!! That's fantastic news...especially after that series of landlord fiascos

Home, sweet home!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done! It will be so nice to have a space that is truly ypurs.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, friends!!!
I gave this landlord my 30 days notice yesterday, and I get the keys to the new place today.
The seller offered to rent me the new place until escrow closes. Things are happening so fast.

I have been thinking about the promises from AA about finances improving once we recover. This has certainly happened in my case. I am telling friends that if I had all the money I used to spend on booze, I could have paid cash for this house!!!

I am grateful for all you guys (Lexie too!!!) who have been with me from the beginning. You have helped me along though a breakup, a bankruptcy and now this. Many thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Woops! Completely missed the part that you are buying a house. 🤣 Congrats! And you are so correct on the money one saves in sobriety. Congrats again.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, congratulations on the new house/home!

That's a big deal, look how much you have accomplished. I hope you will be really happy there.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
Thank you, friends!!!
I gave this landlord my 30 days notice yesterday, and I get the keys to the new place today.
The seller offered to rent me the new place until escrow closes. Things are happening so fast.

I have been thinking about the promises from AA about finances improving once we recover. This has certainly happened in my case. I am telling friends that if I had all the money I used to spend on booze, I could have paid cash for this house!!!

I am grateful for all you guys (Lexie too!!!) who have been with me from the beginning. You have helped me along though a breakup, a bankruptcy and now this. Many thanks!!!
Just wanted to give you folks an update.
I had started moving stuff into the new house. Was waiting on the owner to get the kitchen in order so I could fully move in.
I got a call from the neighbor at 3 a.m. yesterday asking if the person he heard making noises in the house was me. It was not.
When I got there, I discovered the back door was open and lights were turned on in the kitchen.
I had to wait several hours for the police to show up. They went through the house first, then I followed them in.

At least the burgler(s) had some class and didn't trash what they didn't take.

I went straight to the real estate office, handed in my keys and pulled the place out of escrow.

This is the second place I have had to pull out of escrow in 60 days. My current landlord kindly agreed to let me rescind my 30 days notice for now.

I was feeling my oats when I started this thread. I am beyond done with house hunting until after the first of the year.....
Old 11-13-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry! HOWEVER, I would see this as a sign this was just not the right one.

Hang in there friend!
Old 11-13-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
I had to wait several hours for the police to show up.
Several hours?!?!?! That's probably not a neighborhood you want to be living in.... jeeeeeesh

Sorry this happened Eauchiche, how very disappointing.

*hugs*
Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is good

God watching over you.

For everything I've let go of along the way, no matter how it came about, more good keeps flowing into my life.

Understanding and making use of prayer, meditation, Law of Attraction, Al-Anon, etc. have all been very helpful. One day at a time.

Open NA meetings in my area include really good recovery skills, positivity and new viewpoints. I really relate to the saying in the NA readings of: "One problem, one solution." and "We suggest you keep an open mind and give yourself a break."

Sending good wishes!!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning
I am bumping this thread to share some experience with you folks.

Some of you might be wondering why I still live here. I had two different houses in escrow last fall, but had to pull them out due to condition issues.

Fast forward to today. My current landlord died suddenly this past Sunday night. He had a leg amputated almost a month ago from the effects of diabetes aggravated by his alcohol use. In spite of that, he appeared to be making a full recovery. His death has been a bit of a surprise.

His daughter, who dutifully cared for him every day after his amputation, has been left with a mess. She and her husband recently had a baby. They seem like really recent people.

She told me that her Dad told her there was a will, but no one has been able to find it. The coroner's office, under current lockdown from COVID-19 currently has his body. He wanted to be cremated and buried at our local veteran's cemetery, but they want $7000 and he left no money for his burial. He cant have a funeral right now anyway because of the lockdown.

Meanwhile, his mother is starting an attempt at grabbing his property. It appears that there is a rather nasty probate about to begin.

Naturally, I am house hunting again. I am looking at new construction so I don't have to be concerned about condition issues.

I am sharing all this with you folks to caution you about avoiding scenarios with your alcoholic like this one. Even their signature on and end-of-life directive and a life insurance policy would avoid nightmares like this one.

I hope you all are well with the current pandemic.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Veterans are buried free of charge in veterans' cemeteries here. I'm pretty sure the **Veterans' Cemetery** isn't asking for $7000. The family would have to pay for cremation, if desired, and a casket or urn. Burial, and the ceremonial honors that go with, are free.

How sad to have occurred at this time, when the family won't be able to come together. Well, maybe given the circumstances, time to cool off will be better.

Have fun looking for a new abode.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Goodness. It's sad to me that it's always money grabbing when someone passes. Tacky and awful.

I hope you find a new house and some peace to go with it!