Notices

Drinking in response to stress

Old 10-26-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking in response to stress

So I'm gutted and embarrassed to say I drank last night. I had stress and anxiety at a situation and that's what triggered it. I know it's not a valid excuse but at the time I was in the mindset of just wanting to switch my brain off and stop worrying for a little bit.

Kicking myself today. Nothing bad happened last night and there's been no repercussions apart from having a bit of a bad head today but I just know it was stupid. Had to face the thing I was stressing about today and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought! I was worrying over nothing.

The really annoying thing is that I've wanted to pick up a drink all day.. from the moment I opened my eyes actually. Last night awoke something in me. It's proof the alcoholic is still very much deep inside me and I could so easily slip back into that cycle. That is a road I do not want to go down. Anyway I've made it to 10pm totally sober although I have ate my bodyweight in chocolate.

I need to get myself back into an exercise routine because that was really helping with my anxiety. Drinking will never be the answer. Just need to get through the next few days sober and hopefully the cravings will get less powerful.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A powerful cure for cravings, and whatever else ails you, is practicing gratitude every day. I was advised to do that when I was about 3 months sober and not 'feeling it'. It was hard at first but I did it until it became a habit. Practicing gratitude has changed my life for the better. Makes me happier too.

Give it a try!

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 10-26-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You seem to have a good understanding of what has happened and have not drank again.

Dont beat yourself up because you drank it happens to the best of us. Just be very very grateful that there have been no repercussions.

Draw a line under it an move on.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not beating you up - I'm glad you got right back here - but I had to find other ways to deal with stress noaddedsugar....cos every single day bought a situations or feelings I could drink over.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...44-stress.html (Stress)
Old 10-26-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this happened. Have you been able to come up with some healthy ways to deal with stress and anxiety? I'm glad you're back.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get the cravings bit. It can come in waves-so planning what to do- a plan helps. 'Play the tape forward' is used at SR a lot. If I drink now- what will I be like/will the consequences be tomorrow? Will booze help? How will I feel?
It helps- post here, join some of the newcomer's threads and share- not just sit on the craving.

Support to you.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Noaddedsugar, glad you are thinking about getting back into your routines, that always helps me. I know that feeling of drinking again only to find it awakens the beast. You have a lot of self-awareness. Stick close to the forum and you will be fine. Warm wishes Lucinda.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me stress was always a good reason to drink. So was having a good day at work. After accomplishing a hard task successfully, having a drink was always a good reward. I got drunk on the 4th of July and St. Patrick's Day. But I could always count on stress as justifying a drink. Hell, not having a drink was stressful. So all I had to do was sit there for an hour until I needed a drink. There it was. The stress!... and it was bottoms up.

Think about this. Is it really the stress, or do you just want to drink? Coming to grips with my alcoholism and realizing that was why I drank, helped put things in perspective for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^^I think that is a really good share - and ties to why using the word "stress," and considering it as a state, can be destructive. Not saying that we don't get "stressed." Instead saying that I often need to pause, breathe and think of things in terms of what I GET to do not HAVE to do...or prioritize even one thing, and put my thinking as stuff like "wait - this person doesn't answer me immediately in email- I can take an hour to get back to them" - that is often totally true!!

To me, words help frame the positive and hopeful parts in sobriety.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
waking down

Exercise. I invested a couple hundred bucks on a stationary bike. Best purchase ever when it's too hot or cold out to walk a dog. Yoga and meditation...

I used to de-stress with alcohol. There are better ways. Keep at it!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...iety#section10
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stress and anxiety - major triggers for me. The main ones.

Meditation, exercise and loads of hot baths were the real game changers. Even if you are tired and struggling, they do work 💕💕