Notices

I'm going crazy

Old 10-25-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going crazy

I finally got off the streets and been sober for 2 months, yet I m lonely and scard. Now I feel someday like having a drink to relax I stayed in all week didn't even call in and I don't know why. Can anybody explain what I'm going through
Old 10-25-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Colleen,

Good job on two months of sobriety.

I wonder if you've made other changes in your life, along with stopping drinking? Maybe you could consider some kind of exercise program which might help you to feel better. Something that helped me in the early days was volunteer work. It was good to get outside of my head and do something to help others.

I hope you start to feel better.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Colleenpyrd View Post
I finally got off the streets and been sober for 2 months, yet I m lonely and scard. Now I feel someday like having a drink to relax I stayed in all week didn't even call in and I don't know why. Can anybody explain what I'm going through
Colleen, early sobriety can be terrifying. You are having the same symptoms we all do. You’re having to feel. It’s new and uncomfortable. It will pass.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Usually if I'm having a bad day the next day is really great! Just get through the tough days- no matter what it takes💖
Old 10-25-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've been so brave to come off the streets and get two months sobriety.
Now you're having normal human feelings and that's where it gets hard for us problem drinkers. This is the bit where we have a lot of learning to do, acceptance etc. Especially hard when you're scared.
Hang in there, you're just being a normal human being and a lovely one I'm sure. Keep posting, there are a lot of caring and understanding people on here.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kudos for getting off the bricks. ...and two months sober to boot. Thats a double super cool points. Like most said here. That's just feelings you are actually feeling. Its a good thing thing. Longer off the sauce the better. One day at a time. You will be even more blessed. ✌
Old 10-25-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Colleen. I'm so glad you're here.
2 months is wonderful - we know how hard it is to achieve that.
I felt scared & disoriented too when I quit. I had leaned on alcohol for so long - even though it really wasn't a comfort. We feel anxious without it for a while, but eventually things begin to look different. I'm thankful you got yourself free of it. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I had that feeling quite a bit in early recovery. What we were doing was insanity and going sane felt exactly what I would imagine going insane feels like. Right around the 9-month mark that peaked and I didn't even want to drink but considered it just so I could be back where things were familiar to me. I took a few online tests for dissociative disorder and scored fine so I just kept going in recovery. I think of the often used phrase on here...this too shall pass.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety was a real problem for me initially Colleen - but it got better with time.

This is not the best it gets - take some solace in that - and remember you are not alone - we're with you every step of the way

D
Old 10-26-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel like what you are feeling sounds too familiar to me as "pre-relapse"....you are stuck...don't know how to live without alcohol...may be your alcoholic voice is nagging at you that other than being off the street things aren't much different.

They are hugely different...you are warm and safe...you have opportunities you did not have on the street and drinking such as I'm sure your money is much better spent on food and necessities.

I bet you look better, feel better and probably just need to realize that you are in a slump...someone mentioned exercise and really just a small walk around the block can change your whole mindset.

When I feel like this...the goal is to stay sober....eat food to keep away the cravings...possibly even buy myself a small gift with some of the money I am saving from splurging on alcohol....And try to look in the mirror and realize how far you have come in 2 months and how you will not let alcohol bring you backwards.

Alcohol works to take away all of these things you are feeling...but it doesn't last long...and it happens really quickly that you could find yourself back on the street in a number of days...Keep telling yourself you are WORTH it and you are going to fight these feelings in search of happier ones.