Notices

So tempted to drink

Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So tempted to drink

Day 19 and this is the first day I really want to drink. I have been dealing with these heart palpitations all day, skipped beats. They are driving me insane, ramping up my anxiety. I don't want to take a Librium (given to me in excess to get through the first days of withdrawal) because I don’t want to get hooked on that! What I really want is one drink. One drink to stop these things for the rest of the evening because it always worked in the past.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Play that tape forward. How has “one drink” worked out for you in the past.

Get up and go take 1,000 steps. Think of the pain, shame and embarrassment you’ve endured at the hands of drinking then picture a life free of that anxiety and obsession. You can’t have that life if you drink every time you feel uncomfortable feelings. This anxiety is part of the price we pay for ignoring our feelings all of this time. It will pass!

Now go get active or else your AV will get you!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey you booze you lose. Its that simple. Give it some time no need for the sauce my friend. ✌
Old 10-24-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the evilness of alcohol. The very things it causes, it cures....heart palpitations, hangovers, headaches etc...Hope you don't drink.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JazV36 View Post
Day 19 and this is the first day I really want to drink. I have been dealing with these heart palpitations all day, skipped beats. They are driving me insane, ramping up my anxiety. I don't want to take a Librium (given to me in excess to get through the first days of withdrawal) because I don’t want to get hooked on that! What I really want is one drink. One drink to stop these things for the rest of the evening because it always worked in the past.
I get those skipped beats too. Some days none, other days I may have multiple times a day. They are completely normal but probably strike more when we are stressed or anxious. They still freak me out sometimes but I don't drink over them anymore.

Drink doesn't help though. Yes it will temporarily relieve your anxiety, but tomorrow morning you will feel ten times worse for drinking. You need to rewire your brain to stop relying on alcohol to feel better. The only way to do that is to work through the uncomfortable feelings. The anxiety will pass, just don't drink.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Change the record in your head. You're off the booze now, don't get back on it. That'd be one sure fire way to give you more anxiety down the road.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you make the choice to deal with the heart palpitations through your doctor or hospital, rather than drinking.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please get yourself checked out by a Dr Jaz- it may turn out to be nothing but heart things need to be checked out.

Knowledge is the only real antidote to fear

Drinking would only make the problem worse in the long run and might mask a problem easily fixed now

D
Old 10-24-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Drinking won't help, it will make those heart palpitations worse. It seems to me when I had this (and the doctor did check my heart, which is acting a year younger than my body according to the EKG) it was my conscience playing a part by letting me know I had work to do.

Get a journal or a pad of paper and write down why you want to drink right now. Really think about it and write. Put down what you wrote and go eat something sweet or a piece of fruit. Read what you wrote. Do you still feel like drinking now?

Try it. Sobriety is action for me; it might help you, too!
Old 10-24-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. Still day 19, I didn’t drink. I am exhausted from the stressful day so I am off to bed, sober. Praying for a better day tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've never heard of a doctor prescribing drinking for heart palpitations. I'm pretty sure that's just someone's alcoholic voice.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 19One drink to stop these things for the rest of the evening because it always worked in the past.
Congratulations on Day 19. I beg to differ that it always worked in the past. Our rationalizations for that one drink are off.

good luck and keep up the good work...
Old 10-25-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. Still day 19, I didn’t drink. I am exhausted from the stressful day so I am off to bed, sober. Praying for a better day tomorrow.
AWESOME! Glad I checked your thread and saw this update. This is HARD stuff and you are doing it. I know that I hold my breath a lot - inadvertently, and definitely when stressed- and sometimes I have to stop and count in an out. Breaking it down to simple stuff like that was essential to me the first days especially.

You can do this.