Notices

Fell

Old 10-24-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell

I drank today...I watched myself do it...I actively didn't try to stop myself. Of course it won't help my situation. I got notice today that I'm being demovicted...my landlord sold to a developer. I have to find a place by the end of December.

There's so many people here in the same situation...all trying to find a place. You can't go a block without seeing a new sign of a development proposal.. where do we go?
Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paterrson

I was in a similar situation 5 years ago.

You do what I did and look for every new housing opportunity you can. It goes without saying - you gotta stay sober to do that - every day lost to the drink is a day of possible accommodation opportunities gone.

I had a real fear of being homeless, but I had enough irons in the fire that something came through, I hope something will for you too.

I never thought about drinking (I was around 8 years sober then) but if i had i would have come here and asked for help.

As it was I asked for support ad good wishes and those came in spades.

You're worth fighting for Patterson - don't let despair and your addiction win.

D
Old 10-24-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your situation. .but is boozing gonna help you situation? My suggestion would be to get your mind right. Feel me? Lay off the sauce. So you can focus on your dilemma. One day at a time
Old 10-24-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi SoberRican

I’m sorry you’re going to lose your home.

Being sober is the only way to face this situation though.

Hard though it is, it will be so much harder from the bottom of the bottle.

I hope you find something soon.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of your situation Patterson, you must be devastated. I hope you've had the strength to stop again. Keep on trying, never give up hope
Old 10-24-2019, 01:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee...I'm very frightened...and I can't drink now. I've been sober for nearly a month, and now when I need it I fall apart. I looked on Craigslist...I have a couple of places to call in the morning... I just don't know....demand exceeds supply here.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Harriet, Mags and Rican....It kinda hurts in that I grew up here, I work here...but I can't afford the million dollar condos they are going to build on this lot...
Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to move a fair distance away Patterson but it turned out to be a good move for me...however this works out maybe this will be for you too

D
Old 10-24-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was reading your thread and before I even checked your location, I thought to myself that you must be in Toronto or Vancouver. Both cities are in the top 5 internationally when in comes to real estate bubbles and housing availability. I can certainly understand the anxiety about your situation. However, I wouldn't be able to 'house-hunt' if I wasn't sober. I would be drinking all day and blowing off any appointments I had made to view a place.

Your full attention is needed to sort your situation out. A hangover won't help!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.as others have said staying sober is the best way through this.i hope you get a new place soon.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Patterson - I'm sorry, too, to hear this news. Before I got sober I always reached for a drink to calm myself down, but it doesn't do the job. It only adds to our anxiety & is definitely not our friend. (I realize you already know this. ) I know you'll keep a clear head to deal with this situation. I'm hoping this will turn out to be a good thing - let us know how you do with the places you're calling.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry that you drank. I hope next time you get an urge to drink, you'll come here and talk about it instead of acting on it.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was out of work for quite a while. My former employer let me go after I got sober! I was getting job interview after job interview and I'm blowing every single one. I do kind of nerdy work and I'm good at it but I can be really terrible at communicating with strangers. I was blowing job interview after job interview and it felt like there was nothing I could do about it. My severance money had run out and my unemployment was running out. My self esteem was in the toilet and I had no idea where I was going to live once I was out of money.

I prayed a lot, I meditated a lot. I remember one particularly difficult phone call with a head hunter. Just in total frustration I shut my eyes and bowed my head and just prayed. No words in my prayer, just seeking comfort, like we would from a drink.

God never gives us more than we can handle. I stayed sober and brushed up on my skills. I got up every morning and showered and got dressed even with no where to go. A lot of step 3, turn it over to God. I stayed sober and did my best and let life do what it was going to do. Control what I can control. What's going to happen is going to happen. I have an obligation to myself to continue to stay sober and do the right things and let the chips fall. If I do all the right things those chips are most likely to fall in my favor.

I ended up with a job that paid better than 90% of the ones I got rejected from.

Maybe you will find a new place you like better. Stay sober and find out what's around that next corner in life, it isn't always bad. Once we start drinking everything just seems to turn to a mess. Drink at the least is going to gobble up time and money that you could use toward getting a new place.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I so sorry to hear of your housing situation, but you’ve got the very best chance of dealing with it successfully, by staying sober and clear headed. Life can be so unfair, but my experience was that letting those unfair circumstances drag me down, didn’t overturn the unfairness, it just hindered my future, and kept me drinking......
Old 10-25-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
I drank today...I watched myself do it...I actively didn't try to stop myself. Of course it won't help my situation. I got notice today that I'm being demovicted...my landlord sold to a developer. I have to find a place by the end of December.

There's so many people here in the same situation...all trying to find a place. You can't go a block without seeing a new sign of a development proposal.. where do we go?
I'm sorry to read that Patterson. I hope you can make this a one off; an understandable reaction to the bad news.
I can't give any positive advice, because I really have no wisdom. I would have responded to the bad news in the same way as you did - by drinking. It's always been my only response to anything negative which is a big reason for why my life has been such a waste of time.
I'm sure you know that at a time like this it's important to stay sober or you could find yourself in a worse situation.
One nights drinking doesn't mean that you have to carry on down that road. Don't try to deal with your problems by creating another.
Best wishes.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just sending love dear Patterson. s ❤️
Old 10-26-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Patterson?

D