Notices

been away for a long while.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

been away for a long while.

Just wanted to say hey. I'm back to Day 1. The relapse was tough and been going back and forth for for about a year and half now after being sober for close to 3 years. In that year and half span i had strings of days, weeks and even months. But it didn't matter. I was always worst. this last one was 9 day binge after a month of not drinking. This was a really really rough one. Still got all the withdrawals happening right now. But have to ride the wave.

So...just wanted to share. But this is not to create a pity party. Its to be honest and get back to reintroducing the elements that help me before. This was one of them.

Thank you for reading and letting me share. On to day 2 from here. Lord willing.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Lightbulb

Welcome back. I hope your withdrawals aren’t too bad right now. As you know, they’ll pass in time. Do you have a recovery plan other than being here (which is a great place to be of course )?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We’re here for you. You can do this! I’m not sure if you’re a reader, but I really recommend This Naked Mind. It helped me a bunch. Congrats on this being your final day 2!
Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back TNTStill

D
Old 10-21-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely will be getting back to AA meetings. Church (for me it had helped) and in time therapy
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TNTStill View Post
Definitely will be getting back to AA meetings. Church (for me it had helped) and in time therapy

“will”...”in time”....

Find an AA meeting and a therapist immediately. You only have one life. Cherish it.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by TNTStill View Post
Lord willing.
The Lord is willing. Glad you are back, being honest, and reaching out. We are reaching back. There is strength in numbers. Together we can do this.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

This seems to be happening to quite a few people at the moment, getting good time up, then losing it. So let me float a theory about it. Maybe the plan they had, and its various elements, was only good for temporary sobriety. Perhaps something was missing that would have made sobriety a permanent state of affairs, assuming that is the desired outcome.

Many folks have said "I will stick with what is working for me" right up till the moment it stops working.

AA is a path you have been looking at. I went to AA, it didn't work. I joined AA, it worked great and I found permanent sobriety.

I joined all three elements of AA. Unity (meetings) Recovery (steps) and Service (working with others).

I think of it as a three legged stool. if one element is missing, my situation is precarious, if two are missing it only takes a second's loss of concentration and I'm gonna be sprawled on the ground.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you all for the feedback and advice and support
Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back TNT, I have missed seeing your posts. I’m glad you are back, and I know you can do this again, and this time it will be permanent.

❤️Delilah
Old 10-22-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I was where you are, about 10 years ago.

I once had over 5 years of sobriety, got complacent and thought I could handle a beer. I then struggled for a year to get sober again. I would get sober for a week or two and then drink again. It was awful.

With the help of AA and this website I finally was able to get, and stay sober. I will have 10 years in a few months.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Per your most current posts you are now on day 17... amazing. Congratulations! I like all your updates but for me the day one post thread must be the toughest one to make. Bravo.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thank you for sharing. I am also back after 7 years of sobriety followed by a pretty rough 2-year binge.

As someone mentioned above, what "works for me" only worked until I decided to have a drink. I went to AA but didn't have a sponsor or work the steps. I used this site until I had things "under control," then I would just pop in every now and then to post about my sobriety milestones. Had I been serious about working a program and staying in touch on these forums, I could have leaned on that support when things spiraled in my life and I felt like it was time to drink again.

This time around, there are no shortcuts. AA, SoberRecovery, counseling, therapy...these are all resources at my disposal and I intend to use every one. Not just when things are going well in my life, but especially when things are tough. Thanks for coming back.