Notices

Just checking in and saying HI

Old 10-18-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Just checking in and saying HI

Hello all. I haven't posted in a long time. When that happens around here, it's possible that bad things have happened, plus I got a nag when I surfed on over here to say hello. But I've been fantastic.

I'm still sober AF, and am still in love with my clearheaded self. I have also cut out one of my psych meds for anxiety, it's a non-benzo called Buspar. It's non-addictive and worked miracles for my anxiety, but it also was making me tired, killing my motivation and giving me cognitive issues. It's a great medication that I'd suggest for anyone who suffers from anxiety and doesn't want to take a benzo or other sedative-hypnotic.

In dropping the Buspar, I've come to terms with my anxiety, and am dealing with it through mindfulness and therapy. I had surgery on my foot, an old Coachella injury (long story) that required the bones on my big toe to be fused. I was basically bed-ridden for two weeks and house-bound for another six, so no work really, and lots of Netflix. I also didn't do my therapy. The time away really allowed me to tie up a bunch of loose ends and I think we're winding down on the whole therapy thing, my therapist and I both feel we've rewritten my life's narrative. My career is starting to take off. I've met a guy from Brazil when he visited LA, I'm going for Brazil for ten days in January and he's coming back with me to do some stuff to get ready to start his MBA program in San Francisco in the fall. We've been texting and talking almost every day since March, and have fallen deeply in like. He may be husband material. Stay tuned.

I learned two other things with my surgery. The first is that I don't have to worry about opiate addiction. Five days of HEAVY pain meds and I was ready to throw them out the window, so I figuratively did. I also realized that I will never be free of sedative-hypnotic addiction (benzos and alcohol). They gave me a benzo just prior to surgery and it was like OOOH, I've missed you, come to Daddy. I haven't had cravings for alcohol or anything else in the wake of the surgery, but damn, that was a wake-up call that my decision to NEVER EVER EVER touch a drop of alcohol or sedative medication except under a doctor's prescription (and even then, no benzos for anxiety for me!) was by far the necessary and correct one. A few more of those and I'd be right back in the proverbial gutter.

My life changed utterly and completely when I took that last drink and headed to rehab, and I'm full to the bursting with blessings and gratitude.

892 days.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear things are going well MM

D
Old 10-19-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Super awesome. ✌
Old 10-19-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that You've done so well and it's inspirational to hear about it.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic update, MindfulMan. It’s great to read of your progress and your words are full of positivity
Old 10-19-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

What a wonderful message to read first thing in the morning! I was already feeling pretty good because I got out of bed and started Doing Things without a struggle (progress is relative, right? ) But reading your update is icing on the cake, MM. I'm so pleased that you're continuing to find sobriety to be a learning and positive experience. Best wishes for you, and I'll keep my fingers crossed in regard to BrazilianMan.

O