Notices

Alcohol-related ataxia

Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol-related ataxia

Has anyone been diagnosed with alcohol-related ataxia?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes but it resolved with abstinence x
Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
Yes but it resolved with abstinence x

Thank-you Daisy...How did ataxia affect you? (if you don't mind me asking)...And how long did it take to resolve? xx
Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My walk was strange, I sort of over reached my knees and stomped, very poor balance with frequent falls. I would try to eat or drink and also over reach that and hurt my teeth. Almost every movement was abnormal towards the end until I could barely move! I would say I had daily improvements for about a month - my family said about a month later 'oh wow look at your normal walk' which surprised me at the time because I didn't know I was any different. Are you ok what's happening with you? X
Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My balance suffered for sure. I was never diagnosed with anything because I didn't go to the Dr.

After nearly 5 years sober, my balance is still improving.

I am on vacation right now and most of the folks I am with can't wait to drink. They have discipline to make it until dinner usually. Then they have 2 drinks and start getting sleepy by 7 pm.

It is addiction, just not that bad.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
My walk was strange, I sort of over reached my knees and stomped, very poor balance with frequent falls. I would try to eat or drink and also over reach that and hurt my teeth. Almost every movement was abnormal towards the end until I could barely move! I would say I had daily improvements for about a month - my family said about a month later 'oh wow look at your normal walk' which surprised me at the time because I didn't know I was any different. Are you ok what's happening with you? X
Thank-you so much Daisy..My balance has been badly affected ...I am taking lots of vitamins (thiamine etc) and have started physiotherapy...so here's hoping xx
Old 10-15-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure if it is the same, but for a period of a month or two I forgot how to walk up stairs. I. Forgot. How. To. Walk. Up. Stairs. I literally couldn’t remember and had to hold the rail and take one step at a time. I was drinking pretty heavy in that period and that was my only explanation.