Notices

Anger at in-laws

Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger at in-laws

I got married last year. My husband of one year got very sick because of alcohol back in 2015. He could have died, it was very serious. He started drinking about 7 months after and was drinking up until April this year. I found out about his drinking. I tried to help him stop. Before this he was lying and hiding alcohol and the bottles. I never saw him drink. I knew he was and have the proof from seeing his bank statements and all the other stuff I put up with. He is not an abusive drunk. Just a sad pessimist who doesn't get anything done when he drinks. He got very sick again in May this year. Unfortunately his mother who worships the ground he walks on and actually works with him as well didn’t believe me when I told her he had been drinking again. I had to go to another city when he was airlifted to hospital and stay there until he got discharged. It was really traumatic. I have since found out that his mother was actually giving him large amounts of money. Paying his bills. After we got married she was still giving him money but I didn’t know because he had separate bank accounts. He was sick again this last month and the whole thing repeated again back in hospital in the city. I was there at his side the whole time. I am so angry with his mother now for the denial. I can’t believe how stupid she was to be giving him money. I feel like they blame me for him being sick not alcohol. I despise her now. She is a horrible fake who just sweeps things under the carpet. She even said something about mental health problems that made me so mad. That we don’t have those types of problems in her family. They just get on with things. I’m so mad and upset. I have no one to talk to. I am so sad that my husband had no one to talk honestly about things with because of the way he was brought up. We see these people all the time. It’s so fake I can’t stand it.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation. Does your husband want to stop drinking? I hope that he makes the decision to seek help for his alcoholism, but that is something he will have to do on his own.

You might check out AlAnon in your city as a support for you. And, maybe you can distance yourself from your in-laws as much as possible.

We also have a forum for Friends & Families of Alcoholics:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 10-14-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He has stopped drinking and says he never will again

He has stopped drinking and says he never will again. But I know addiction and that if he starts feeling better he might start again. I would not allow it and would try to get him help. But when people want alcohol they lie to the ones they love. He actually has a health condition that means he could die from drinking alcohol. I can’t go to al anon because I’m pretty sure a relative goes there and it’s a small town. I will look into it though. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If they mentioned that their family doesn't have mental health problems I would point out that their son whom you married...has a mental health problem "alcohol addiction" he apparently never had the tools to cope with life...and that is a mental health issue.

Don't hold back...you are putting up with a lot of CRAP from these people for what reason? You are the one taking care of their sick "son"...You are the one who's life is being severly impacted by his alcohol binges and near death experiences...

They mention anything about "your issues" again...I would tell them my issues are much less serious and do not yearly end me in a hospital on a deathbed..that is all your family...and I'm sorry but I can't deal with those comments when you have no idea the fear I live in daily with your sons condition and how it is impacting our lives and our marriage!

Stand up to them.
And for you...I'm sorry that you are living the life with a person who is addicted to alcohol...I'm addicted to alcohol and I know the hell this lifestyle causes to others and not just the person drinking!.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm sorry for what brings you here, but glad you found us.

I hope your husband decides to stop drinking. Please get support for yourself. AlAnon would be good, and our friends and family forum is also great support.

eta: I'm glad he stopped drinking and hope he has some plan to help him stay sober. And if you can't go to AlAnon, come here to the friends and family forum for advice and support.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry for your situation. Does your husband want to stop drinking? I hope that he makes the decision to seek help for his alcoholism, but that is something he will have to do on his own.

You might check out AlAnon in your city as a support for you. And, maybe you can distance yourself from your in-laws as much as possible.

We also have a forum for Friends & Families of Alcoholics:

There you go, Hopeful. Anna and Least have given you the blueprint for what to do in this situation, and if you follow their advice you'll be off to a good start.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi hopeful and welcome to sober recovery. Also I'm so sorry that you find the need to seek us out.

Originally Posted by ahopefulwife View Post
I would not allow it and would try to get him help.
Unfortunately there is pretty much nothing you can do about his drinking. That is what we call "his side of the street". The best you can do is stick to your side of the street and work on your own issues. We all have them. This is way way easier said than done.

Most of us in relation with alcoholics, want to help/fix. It doesn't work that way. Acting appropriately in relationship with addicts is very non-intuitive. Most of us don't do the right thing the first time around.

Please go to Friends and Family of alcoholics and introduce yourself. Lots of folks in your positions.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, as bekind mentioned, there is a Friends and Family of alcoholics forum here and you might find the postings there very helpful:

Sorry you are having such a hard time right now. There is lots of support for you here at SR.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. That was very helpful. All of her children have issues with anxiety & depression

Thank you so much. That was very helpful. All of her children have issues with anxiety & depression.

QUOTE=Misssy2;7288727]If they mentioned that their family doesn't have mental health problems I would point out that their son whom you married...has a mental health problem "alcohol addiction" he apparently never had the tools to cope with life...and that is a mental health issue.

Don't hold back...you are putting up with a lot of CRAP from these people for what reason? You are the one taking care of their sick "son"...You are the one who's life is being severly impacted by his alcohol binges and near death experiences...

They mention anything about "your issues" again...I would tell them my issues are much less serious and do not yearly end me in a hospital on a deathbed..that is all your family...and I'm sorry but I can't deal with those comments when you have no idea the fear I live in daily with your sons condition and how it is impacting our lives and our marriage!

Stand up to them.
And for you...I'm sorry that you are living the life with a person who is addicted to alcohol...I'm addicted to alcohol and I know the hell this lifestyle causes to others and not just the person drinking!.[/QUOTE]