Notices

Feeling foggy In the head, normal???

Old 10-14-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober date 9-30-19

Feeling foggy In the head, normal???

Hey all,
I been feeling a bit foggy in the head and I'll walk in a room and forget what I was gonna do, I have to stand there and think for a minute. Also feel off balance sometimes....these are all weird and unpleasant feelings. I'm 2 weeks sober. Just wondering if this is normal in the recovery process and if anyone else has experienced any of this? Feel like my brain is out of wack or something. Can't think straight sometimes. Its just very bizarre. Idk how else to explain it. Like I feel disoriented or disconnected..... Not liking the feeling
Old 10-14-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sure it will all pass Angeleyes.

I get quite a lot of health anxiety but it is good to not be worrying that I am going to die of liver disease or alcohol-related stroke anymore. I am coming up for 3 months and I still get that exactly as you describe. Sometimes I think it is menopause and other times I think I have done irreversible damage to my brain cells. But then I talk to one of the young ladies that I work with and she gets it too. I know she has a lot of stressors going on so it is probably just a bit of anxiety, stress and the overload of modern life.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 9-30-19

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
I am sure it will all pass Angeleyes.

I get quite a lot of health anxiety but it is good to not be worrying that I am going to die of liver disease or alcohol-related stroke anymore. I am coming up for 3 months and I still get that exactly as you describe. Sometimes I think it is menopause and other times I think I have done irreversible damage to my brain cells. But then I talk to one of the young ladies that I work with and she gets it too. I know she has a lot of stressors going on so it is probably just a bit of anxiety, stress and the overload of modern life.
Thanx for replying Lucinda. Good to know I'm not the only one feeling like this. So, you still get all those feelings I've mentioned too, sometimes? I even get muscle twitches in my face and all. All this makes me feel like I have some horrible disease or something lol! ... I also have health anxiety. Had it for as long as I can remember. And it doesn't help that I google every system I get!

Congrats on the almost 3 months!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think our bodies have to adjust to our not drinking and it's a process. I think it took me about 3 weeks before I started to feel more normal. Good job on 2 weeks of sobriety.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 9-30-19

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think our bodies have to adjust to our not drinking and it's a process. I think it took me about 3 weeks before I started to feel more normal. Good job on 2 weeks of sobriety.
Thanx Anna... Just not liking all these weird feelings and sensations. I get tingling feelings in my face and all. Its kinda scary... Makes me think there's something serious wrong with me. .... I hate anxiety!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took me awhile to start feeling “right” again. 2 weeks is still pretty early. Perhaps check in with your doctor if the facial tics are worrisome for you.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Two weeks is pretty early in recovery. It takes time to heal and get back to normal. I think it took me about a month to feel 'right'. But yes, do see your doctor if it's bothering you a lot or getting worse.

As long as you don't drink, it will get better. You'll have good days and bad days, but facing a bad day sober is so much better.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It does sound normal....like you're brain is re-booting. But, I'd ask your Dr. You might need some bloodwork, just to make sure you aren't anemic or deficient in some other nutrient.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think its very common. I would try not to worry too much but like we always say here - see your Dr if you're worried or symptoms persist

D
Old 10-14-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As others have said, see your doctor if you're worried, but most probably it'll pass. Early sobriety is a very big change for your body.

Remember to get as much rest as possible.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
eoj

I just hit 6 months and still have dizzy spells, forget things and other PAWS's. But it seems to be worth it. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angeleyes1111 View Post
Thanx for replying Lucinda. Good to know I'm not the only one feeling like this. So, you still get all those feelings I've mentioned too, sometimes? I even get muscle twitches in my face and all. All this makes me feel like I have some horrible disease or something lol! ... I also have health anxiety. Had it for as long as I can remember. And it doesn't help that I google every system I get!

Congrats on the almost 3 months!
Yes, I frequently stand in the middle of the room and wonder what I am doing there. I can't often can't remember even basic words despite being an educated woman. I feel like areas of my face go into spasms too. But seriously I feel so much better for not having to worry about killing myself with alcohol anymore. The area around my liver used to ache but it doesn't now. I mentioned the health anxiety because I had seen some of your other posts around here and recognised myself in what you were saying. It is definitely not good for those of us with health anxiety to drink

Well done on the 2 weeks! How are you doing today?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's common. Alcohol messes with the way your nervous system works - especially repeated binge drinking episodes.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober date 9-30-19

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm 18 days sober now! Symptoms come and go. I rather deal with them instead of being drunk all the time and depressed. I do have good days and bad days but, I will NOT drink today!