How do you catch them drinking without soberlink?

Old 10-13-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you catch them drinking without soberlink?

Anybody had success doing this??? In the past he's just admitted it. He has random bouts of spectacular honesty and then he goes into 'hide' mode again. I can't afford PIs etc. I know he's drinking around the kids, they're too young to understand. I don't want to wait for an incident to occur.. I don't want my kids going through that.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

do you have soberlink in place?

i do understand your concern, but turning yourself into the sober police is a road to crazytown. i'm sorry i don't recall the specifics of your custody arrangements......
Old 10-13-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. When I caught my ex husband obviously drunk with our kid, I threatened to immediately go to court to change the custody arrangement unless he agreed to be breathalyzed by me. Miraculously, he agreed and still drank on days he was supposed to have her so I had breathalyzer evidence of drunken attempts to parent. You could buy one and if you think he’s drunk when you show up, try to insist on it? I spent about $100 on it.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
do you have soberlink in place?

i do understand your concern, but turning yourself into the sober police is a road to crazytown. i'm sorry i don't recall the specifics of your custody arrangements......
No soberlink in Oz. I need to be the sober police bacause if he's drinking round the kids he's breaching the parenting order. His pattern of drinking is a period of 'management' then an incident. Usually a DUI, ASBO..etc.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only way is as DiggingforFire mentioned, you would have to buy a breathalyzer and get him to agree to test before and after each visit.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hidden camera in his kitchen out of the question I suppose? You say you know he's been drinking around the kids - do they tell you and you want to protect them?

You could have a serious talk to him about it placing the kids in danger. Do you think he's drinking to excess or moderately?
Old 10-14-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can you look for the receipts from stores he may have purchased alcohol? Perhaps filming him as approaches the house taking one last swing and putting a bottle in a pocket or something? Look for bottles in the trash, his and yours? But then he could claim you planted it and since not police you can't get fingerprints or dna.

Sounds like you'll have to be patient and wait for that one no question piece of evidence for a court. Just keep the kids safe.

Good Luck