Notices

Sesame Street Battles Addiction

Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sesame Street Battles Addiction

Sesame Street has created an episode where one of Elmo’s friend’s mother has an addiction. The goal is to help kids who are living in a household where the caregivers suffer from addiction.

I think it’s great. But I wonder how much little kids know about addiction or drugs at all for that matter when they are so young. I was in denial about it till I was 12. I don’t think I knew anything about it when I was the age to be watching Sesame Street. I don’t think I would of understood the episode.

Still think it’s a great idea though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...luable-lesson/
Old 10-12-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah that would have passed me by as a kid too - but my guess is, however much something like this makes us uncomfortable, for some kids an addicted parent is a sad reality.

I hope it helps in some way.

D
Old 10-12-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think it's a great idea, maybe a young person who has an addicted parent or parent will see themselves in the show and realise that they arecnot alone.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know whether this would of been of benefit to me. I grew up in a very chaotic alcoholic household. I spent my time trying to pretend it wasn't happening. Embarrassment, fear and shame were constant. I made an art of making sure nobody knew.

Going back to a child me, I needed escapism not realism.

Thoughtful idea by the programme makers though.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow..I think it is a great thing to plant in the childs subconscious that "addiction" is not something that is "normal"....So hopefully when they grow and run into addiction...this episode in the back of their mind will enable them to recognize what is happening, to know it is not their fault...and possibly reach out for help with their situation vs. being quiet about it as my kids probably were..

I remember my kids telling me they were afraid to bring friends home after school for fear I would still be in my pajamas with beer cans all around me which would be an embarrassment to them.

Possibly if they had seen this Sesame Street episode they would have been able to address their "hurts and fears" with me or another adult and possibly I would have been able to be aware of how I was hurting them....vs. what happened...them holding this all in till they were in the 20's and able to talk to me about it.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whenever Sesame Street addresses a hefty topic, they usually do it right, imo. With the severity of the opioid issues going on, I think this is going to be helpful. Some kids will relate, some won't, but for the ones who do it could mean so much to know they're not alone.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would have been about 10 when I met Big Bird at the Hackney Empire at a guess I would say in the summer of 1971 shortly after it was first broadcast in the UK on the long since defunct London Weekend Television or LWT.

He's aged a lot better than I have.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Planting seeds and also giving words to things and opening conversations -- even with recovery communities, Bringing the thought "I'm not alone."
Old 10-13-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Might be good for the parent in recovery too. The episode could be used as a talking point in general for explaining substance abuse and how to avoid these “adult problems” in the future.

It might be good too for parents and families who have never had to deal with addiction before have a better understanding for the little kids who do have to deal with it.

Many a time I had to suffer at the hands of adults who were not suffering from addiction who didn’t understand my lack of parental supervision and neglect. They didn’t understand my living situation and thought I was a bad kid.