Why Doesn't He See the Hurt?

Old 10-05-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Doesn't He See the Hurt?

I was talking to some Al Anon friends today about the XAF, whom I still have limited texting contact with over shared bills and things. I took ownership of the things I did wrong today and apologized (that's what happens after a meeting about Step 10 :-))

I realized he has never, ever admitted he did anything wrong. He totally admits he is an alcoholic. He goes to AA regularly. He is, as far as I know, totally sober now. He owns the alcoholic part, but when you ask him who he hurt or what his alcoholism did to those who love him, he has no answer (a mutual friend asked him that exact question). I don't understand how you can sit in those meetings and hear the regrets in other people and have none yourself.

Does this mean he is just white knuckling it? Faking it? Will he somehow get it someday?

As much as I wish I could say hey, you did this and this and this, I am not. I have refrained from any blaming or accusations or any negative interactions. Except for the apology for something I had done a couple weeks ago, my texts with him have been cordial. To his family, it's all me with the end of the relationship, yet another thing he isn't taking responsibility for. How does a 55yo man not see the hurt he has left in his wake?
Old 10-05-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

he's been sober for what....40 days or so? whether he is white knuckling it OR fully engaged in recovery, right now he's working on NOT drinking. if he is attending AA and engaged in the program, which are the 12 steps, he still has a long way to go before fully embracing steps 8 and 9.

even if today he said I'm Sorry, what would that really mean or do for you? a parrot can be taught to "say" those words.

i would not wait for an amends or an apology. your healing should not be dependent upon anyone else admitting their faults or wrong doings.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are applying "normal" thought patterns and normal "emotions" to an alcoholic who has only been "sober" for about 20 minutes.

How many years has he been an addict? How many years has he been focused on his problems and himself?

When you were actually with him, was he not self-centered at all, was he concerned with your feelings, did he ask you how you felt about things, worry about you if you were sick with a cold, bring you nyquil? Was he good about making plans and keeping them? Did he ask what you would like, what you wanted to watch what you wanted to do?

Since you left, has he ever asked how you are doing?

As long as you continue to expect him to think like you do, to see a relationship as you see it (interaction, sharing of feelings, reliability, compromise, honesty) you are going to be disappointed.

Even if in some way he does realize what he has done to others, the shame that emanates from that is not something he will want to be dwelling on.

Addiction, Lies and Relationships

"This natural defensive maneuver of "the best defense is a good offense" variety can be the first step on a slippery slope that leads to the paranoid demonization of the very people the addict cares about the most. Unable any longer to carry the burden of his own transgressions he begins to think of himself as the victim of the unfairness and unreasonableness of others who are forever harping on his addiction and the consequences that flow from it. "Leave me alone," he may snap. "I'm not hurting anybody but myself!" He has become almost totally blind to how his addictive behavior does in fact harm those around him who care about him; and he has grown so confused that hurting only himself has begun to sound like a rational, even a virtuous thing to do!

Corresponding in a mirror image fashion to the addict's sense of unfair victimization by his significant others may be the rising self-pity, resentment and outrage of those whose lives are repeatedly disturbed or disrupted by the addict's behavior. A downward spiral commences of reciprocally reinforcing mistrust and resentment as once healthy and mutually supportive relationships begin to corrode under the toxic effects of the relentless addictive process".
Old 10-05-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't leave my A, he died.

I didn't leave, even the day he said, "Don't ask me to choose between you and my beer. You won't like the answer."

I think - when all is said and done, he did the best he could. It wasn't much, it wasn't adequate, but it was the best he could do at any given moment.

He was a frail, flawed person, like we all are. I did awful things, too.

If an A truly considered all the harm he or she had done - really - it would just drive him to drink more to try and forget. I get that it's part of the steps and all. Some people just suck at admitting their own flaws.

My parents were pretty good folks (Dad was a functional alcoholic, but that became more prominent after he retired.) They held down responsible jobs. They drove us everywhere. They instilled in us a good work ethic. They encouraged us to get educated and even funded college educations for us (One of the three of us finished)

You know what they didn't do? Admit when they'd made mistakes.

The frustrating thing about people is they're human.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
he's been sober for what....40 days or so? whether he is white knuckling it OR fully engaged in recovery, right now he's working on NOT drinking. if he is attending AA and engaged in the program, which are the 12 steps, he still has a long way to go before fully embracing steps 8 and 9.

even if today he said I'm Sorry, what would that really mean or do for you? a parrot can be taught to "say" those words.

i would not wait for an amends or an apology. your healing should not be dependent upon anyone else admitting their faults or wrong doings.
Yes, about 40 days. A heartfelt sorry would make a difference, because I think it would turn off some of my own self-blame. You are right about my healing. I'm trying so very hard to move forward every day. I cut and colored my hair today, something new and fresh, and got work done that has been behind because of all this. So...go me. Long ways to go yet on my end.

I still haven't made the breakup and canceling of the wedding public. I think I'm still hopeful that will change, but I don't think it will. I also just don't want to deal with all the "what happened? You guys were so happy" questions. Because I don't have an answer other than he got sober and became a jerk at the same time. Sigh.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
You are applying "normal" thought patterns and normal "emotions" to an alcoholic who has only been "sober" for about 20 minutes.

How many years has he been an addict? How many years has he been focused on his problems and himself?

When you were actually with him, was he not self-centered at all, was he concerned with your feelings, did he ask you how you felt about things, worry about you if you were sick with a cold, bring you nyquil? Was he good about making plans and keeping them? Did he ask what you would like, what you wanted to watch what you wanted to do?

He used something for 35 years. Drank for 30. In the relationship, before the drinking got out of control a few months ago, he actually was super sweet and took care of me, told me how he felt all the time, checked in during the day to see how I was. He stepped out of his comfort zone to do a few things I wanted to do, and things like that. He was absolutely fantastic with my kids, and with me. That's the part I just don't understand--he loves me, I know he does, and he had over a year of being AMAZING before the alcohol got deep into him and he switched. That's why I'm having such a hard time letting go, I think. That's the man I love. That's the man I want back.

And he hasn't once asked how I'm doing or--and this is totally weird--how our dog is doing (I took her with me). He loves that silly dog. Not once has he asked for a picture or anything, which he always does when we are separated by travel or something.

So, what you quoted makes sense to me. That blaming me, the person he has said more than once loves him more than anyone ever has, is some kind of convoluted logic in his mind.

Like I said, I haven't made this public knowledge on social media and I'm not sure whether to do that or wait this out and see if the tide shifts. I'm not sitting here waiting on him, but I also really believe that he is still in there somewhere.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
I didn't leave my A, he died.

I didn't leave, even the day he said, "Don't ask me to choose between you and my beer. You won't like the answer."

I think - when all is said and done, he did the best he could. It wasn't much, it wasn't adequate, but it was the best he could do at any given moment.

He was a frail, flawed person, like we all are. I did awful things, too.

If an A truly considered all the harm he or she had done - really - it would just drive him to drink more to try and forget. I get that it's part of the steps and all. Some people just suck at admitting their own flaws.

My parents were pretty good folks (Dad was a functional alcoholic, but that became more prominent after he retired.) They held down responsible jobs. They drove us everywhere. They instilled in us a good work ethic. They encouraged us to get educated and even funded college educations for us (One of the three of us finished)

You know what they didn't do? Admit when they'd made mistakes.

The frustrating thing about people is they're human.
Yet the biggest key to a true recovery (and IMO happiness) is the ability to admit your flaws. When we are honest with each other, it changes us and the other person. I'm sorry your AH died.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TriStrong……..this man has been using something to buffer himself from reality for about three and one half decades (from your sharings)….and, to expect such deep changes in just about 6weeks (about 41 days?) is expecting quite a bit, I think. I think it would be more realistic of you to think in terms of two or three years....or, 4 or 5 years, according to some people in the recovery community. Putting down the bottle or the pills. etc. is just the first step on the journey of recovery. Sort of like strapping on your skis before the first, ever, trip down the beginners slope.....
Alcoholism takes a deep on the mind, body and spirit of the person under it's control....

I so totally get it, that we want those who we are intimately bonded with to "see" us...to "feel" us, and to know that we matter to them.....that is natural, and is a need that we have in our close relationships with others.....
This is one reason that so many have to leave the active alcoholic.... in order to save themselves.....

Of the recovering alcoholics that I have talks to....so many of them have said that one of the hardest parts of staying in recovery is facing their own shame and guilt....so much so, that the pain of facing it can lead them back to the bottle if they are not intense in working their program.....
It is very painful to face genuine guilt and shame. It can take a lot...lot...of program work, and therapy and faith to work through it....
It usually does not happen over a weekend.
The ego finds ways to protect itself from what is just too threatening to bear....
To admit one's downfallings to another, one has to, first, be able to admit it to oneself.....the hardest thing of all for a person to do.....

Every alcoholic's or addict's journey into genuine recovery is unique to them.....
As their loved ones, we, naturally have our expectations of how we would like for them to be.....but, it is, nevertheless, something that is our of our reach.....they are who they are....
Old 10-05-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Of the recovering alcoholics that I have talks to....so many of them have said that one of the hardest parts of staying in recovery is facing their own shame and guilt....so much so, that the pain of facing it can lead them back to the bottle if they are not intense in working their program.....
It is very painful to face genuine guilt and shame. It can take a lot...lot...of program work, and therapy and faith to work through it....
It usually does not happen over a weekend.
The ego finds ways to protect itself from what is just too threatening to bear....
To admit one's downfallings to another, one has to, first, be able to admit it to oneself.....the hardest thing of all for a person to do......
I get that. After my divorce, I remember being in therapy and she wanted me to work through my guilt and shame over being abused and what happened to my kids. I remember feeling like all of that was this giant water balloon over my head and if I so much as touched it, I would drown. It took me weeks to finally edge around it, and then work through it over the course of the next year. My kids loved me, and when I made amends, they asked me why I would, because they knew I did the best I could. It was like I'd carried all this guilt and shame for no reason, you know?

I want to tell him that you can work through these things, that the hurt you inflicted can be forgiven, and that people love him deeply. But I can't. Sigh.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TriStrong…...the messages that he needs for recovery are best delivered by those in his recovery community. They will be more easily accepted and believed by them. One of the most powerful aspects of the group dynamic is that it feels non-judgemental, to the members (compared to the rest of the world).
When guilt and shame are involved....it is a lot about feeling judged. Even judged by our loved ones.
A very hard thing is to keep our hands off of the alcoholic's recovery program....they don't need our help with that.....
They will do better knowing that their recovery and success comes from entirely from within themselves (and recovery community)….something that they can be proud of...... having their very own mastery over their circumstances....
I think that the best kind of support is to get out of their way....and, just not be obstructive...…
(and not hovering....lol)…….
Old 10-05-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

He used something for 35 years. Drank for 30. In the relationship, before the drinking got out of control a few months ago, he actually was super sweet and took care of me, told me how he felt all the time, checked in during the day to see how I was. He stepped out of his comfort zone to do a few things I wanted to do, and things like that. He was absolutely fantastic with my kids, and with me. That's the part I just don't understand--he loves me, I know he does, and he had over a year of being AMAZING before the alcohol got deep into him and he switched. That's why I'm having such a hard time letting go, I think. That's the man I love. That's the man I want back.

correct me if i am wrong but he was drinking during the two years you were together and it just didn't seem that bad til he admitted his problem last november? so a year or so in? and then it just progressed.

you have never known him as a fully sober man. even the nice fun guy you knew was under the influence. most everyone tries to be at their shiny best at the beginning of a relationship, then once the hook is in, they can ease up. for him it meant he could start ramping up the drinking. again. til it got out of control and wrecked another relationship.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TriStrong View Post
Yes, about 40 days. A heartfelt sorry would make a difference, because I think it would turn off some of my own self-blame. You are right about my healing. I'm trying so very hard to move forward every day. I cut and colored my hair today, something new and fresh, and got work done that has been behind because of all this. So...go me. Long ways to go yet on my end.

I still haven't made the breakup and canceling of the wedding public. I think I'm still hopeful that will change, but I don't think it will. I also just don't want to deal with all the "what happened? You guys were so happy" questions. Because I don't have an answer other than he got sober and became a jerk at the same time. Sigh.
I know it’s hard, but looking to him to make you feel better is barking up the wrong tree. My XAH managed to stay sober for maybe three months? Two of which he was in an inpatient rehab. He apologized all the time. It was always with the aim of getting me to give him another chance, I think. He’s lying about being sober now and still apologizes for having been such a bastard every couple of months, interspersed with being awful to me. The apologies do me no more good than the name calling. It’s all worthless garbage. Even if your ex stays sober, right now he is in the middle of a maelstrom.

Your ex may have some good qualities, but right now he’s got nothing to offer you. If he never even realizes he hurt you, it doesn’t mean that he didn’t. If he goes to his grave thinking you wronged him, still doesn’t mean you did anything other than you needed to do to save your sanity. Maybe down the road he will offer you a real apology after having done the work to get his head straight, or maybe he’s going to fall back into the pit and lie to himself forever. Who knows. But only you can heal yourself, just as right now he’s the only person who can help him.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As long as you continue to expect him to think like you do, to see a relationship as you see it (interaction, sharing of feelings, reliability, compromise, honesty) you are going to be disappointed.

Even if in some way he does realize what he has done to others, the shame that emanates from that is not something he will want to be dwelling on.

"This natural defensive maneuver of "the best defense is a good offense" variety can be the first step on a slippery slope that leads to the paranoid demonization of the very people the addict cares about the most. Unable any longer to carry the burden of his own transgressions he begins to think of himself as the victim of the unfairness and unreasonableness of others who are forever harping on his addiction and the consequences that flow from it. "Leave me alone," he may snap. "I'm not hurting anybody but myself!" He has become almost totally blind to how his addictive behavior does in fact harm those around him who care about him; and he has grown so confused that hurting only himself has begun to sound like a rational, even a virtuous thing to do!

Corresponding in a mirror image fashion to the addict's sense of unfair victimization by his significant others may be the rising self-pity, resentment and outrage of those whose lives are repeatedly disturbed or disrupted by the addict's behavior. A downward spiral commences of reciprocally reinforcing mistrust and resentment as once healthy and mutually supportive relationships begin to corrode under the toxic effects of the relentless addictive process".
This post has helped me so much. Thank you x
Old 10-06-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It seems he has realized he can't cope with any of this and the decline you noticed when "he had over a year of being AMAZING before the alcohol got deep into him and he switched" is not unusual.

How do you account for this switch at one year?
Old 10-06-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TriStrong, I understand how you feel because I have been there. Best to focus on yourself, and leave him to his recovery. At 40 days, he is barely anywhere near true sobriety, I think that sober is not just when you put down the alcohol, it's much deeper than that. It takes time to clear your mind of all of the crazy thinking that comes with alcoholism..some people take years to get through the steps, and that's ok. If he were to apologize to you now, it would be just words...try to keep the focus on yourself, and you will feel so much better sooner. Just as it will take him time to get better on his own...the same goes for you. You have been negatively affected as we all have been here, by the behavior of an alcoholic, and it takes time to get clear...Give yourself that time, and leave him to the same, if you can. It is wonderful that you are both trying to be healthy. Someday, you will be grateful that he ended it now.
If it's meant to be, it will be.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

He is no where near ready for a true apology. My XABF managed to insult me while apologizing to me the last time we spoke. It didn't help just left me feeling confused. I've been no contact with him since. Keep working on you
Old 10-06-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
TriStrong…...the messages that he needs for recovery are best delivered by those in his recovery community. They will be more easily accepted and believed by them. One of the most powerful aspects of the group dynamic is that it feels non-judgemental, to the members (compared to the rest of the world).
When guilt and shame are involved....it is a lot about feeling judged. Even judged by our loved ones.
A very hard thing is to keep our hands off of the alcoholic's recovery program....they don't need our help with that.....
They will do better knowing that their recovery and success comes from entirely from within themselves (and recovery community)….something that they can be proud of...... having their very own mastery over their circumstances....
I think that the best kind of support is to get out of their way....and, just not be obstructive...…
(and not hovering....lol)…….
Well, I'm two hours away, so definitely not hovering. I see your point about them wanting to do it themselves to have that measure of pride that is so critical to success. It's so hard to not just ask how he is or how his weekend went. I miss him terribly.

I'm really trying to respect his boundaries while I work on myself. I have had so many eye-opening moments between Al Anon and the ACOA book. I'm starting to understand the Why behind a lot of the choices I made, and my part in undermining the relationship. The ACOA book said that ACOA have trouble with impulse control, and they overreact and create chaos, and huge messes to clean up--that is definitely me. The book said that the ACOA is acting exactly like the alcoholic, and I never realized that until today. So just as he needs to succeed on his own, I need to succeed on my own and learn to live in this space of panic and anxiety and uncertainty. Not for him, but so that my future is far less chaotic than my past has been.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingForFire View Post
Your ex may have some good qualities, but right now he’s got nothing to offer you. If he never even realizes he hurt you, it doesn’t mean that he didn’t. If he goes to his grave thinking you wronged him, still doesn’t mean you did anything other than you needed to do to save your sanity. Maybe down the road he will offer you a real apology after having done the work to get his head straight, or maybe he’s going to fall back into the pit and lie to himself forever. Who knows. But only you can heal yourself, just as right now he’s the only person who can help him.
Very good points. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It seems he has realized he can't cope with any of this and the decline you noticed when "he had over a year of being AMAZING before the alcohol got deep into him and he switched" is not unusual.

How do you account for this switch at one year?
He was diagnosed with prostate cancer and it made everything start to spiral. The ramifications of prostate cancer for a man in his mid-fifties were super super hard for him to process and accept. Plus there's the walking around with cancer in your body part of it. That was what set him off on the path of using way too much.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seekingcalm View Post
TriStrong, I understand how you feel because I have been there. Best to focus on yourself, and leave him to his recovery. At 40 days, he is barely anywhere near true sobriety, I think that sober is not just when you put down the alcohol, it's much deeper than that. It takes time to clear your mind of all of the crazy thinking that comes with alcoholism..some people take years to get through the steps, and that's ok. If he were to apologize to you now, it would be just words...try to keep the focus on yourself, and you will feel so much better sooner. Just as it will take him time to get better on his own...the same goes for you. You have been negatively affected as we all have been here, by the behavior of an alcoholic, and it takes time to get clear...Give yourself that time, and leave him to the same, if you can. It is wonderful that you are both trying to be healthy. Someday, you will be grateful that he ended it now.
If it's meant to be, it will be.
Thank you, and you are right. I was talking to a friend today and telling her that as much as this is devastating to go through, it is forcing me to learn how to be okay and not panic and seek reassurance every five seconds. That ACOA book is fantastic in helping me see my own patterns, and realizing how vital it is that I change them--for my own future. But going through it kinda sucks, not gonna lie. Especially at the end of the day when it all hits me that I'm alone. That's my hardest time.