Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 04 - 07 October 2019

Notices

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 04 - 07 October 2019

Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders

When the wind blows how strong are your roots? This thought came to me and I thought of my sobriety recovery in the same sense.

Trees with short, dead or rotted roots, or not planted and watered correctly, may not withstand a battering from a storm.

Knowing how to care for a tree, beginning with planting its roots, will surely give it a chance to grow and blossom.

Likewise, I feel the roots of the tree are like my tools for helping me in my growth of sobriety recovery.

By helping my roots to grow stronger I will be ensuring my recovery grows strong and sure.

We can do this together.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lovely opening post Mags.

Gonna keep my roots well watered and insure my tree flourishes.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Kaily, you got Shotgun!
Old 10-03-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags - hey Kaily

D
Old 10-03-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Today it's national holiday here, I'm going to the spa with a friend in the afternoon. Until then, I plan to be as lazy as a man can be.

Have a great day as well!
:o)
Old 10-03-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy the holiday Jan.

I had to test out my powered wheelchair on the bus today...getting up the ramp is not the easiest - my front guide wheels seem to have a mind of their own...but moving around inside the bus and getting off the bus is a piece of cake,

D
Old 10-03-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Great OP mags, Thanks. That's giving me something to really think about! I think I'm well rooted in my sobriety, but am I really? What can I do to strengthen my commitment?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags.
I'm in too.

Later weekenders.!
Old 10-03-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mags1 View Post

welcome to the weekenders

when the wind blows how strong are your roots? This thought came to me and i thought of my sobriety recovery in the same sense.

Trees with short, dead or rotted roots, or not planted and watered correctly, may not withstand a battering from a storm.

Knowing how to care for a tree, beginning with planting its roots, will surely give it a chance to grow and blossom.

likewise, i feel the roots of the tree are like my tools for helping me in my growth of sobriety recovery.

good opening mags. Typing this on my android and have not yet worked out how to thank other people's shares.

by helping my roots to grow stronger i will be ensuring my recovery grows strong and sure.

We can do this together.

if this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (we’re here all week too!)
g
Old 10-03-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome RAVEL

Great opening words Mags.
I started typing on my android, because we all can learn new stuff, right?
No.
A keyboard is easier.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trees. I started longer and longer walks in early sobriety and in my general neighborhood I started noticing the trees. Trees are so amazing and I'm lucky to live in an area that has a lot of old-growth trees. I started using an app to calculate the age of trees and there is one Douglas Fir within a 15 minute walk that is 300+ years old. That's amazing to me. I sit with it and it teaches me things. Good roots, indeed. Patience. Acceptance. Strength. Bending instead of breaking.

Kaily, stuff happens at the eagle nest, so yeah. In past years it's been difficult to follow. One thing the moderators of the chat say repeatedly is, "Trust the eagles."

Tis the time of year for mating and making babies for the SWF Eagles. There won't be a lot of activity at the nest till the eggs are laid.

In for another sober weekend.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

In, as always. When starting my sober journey, I had to cut down the tree I had and plant a new one, cuz all my roots were rotted and mangled.

The growing is going well these days, though.

Happy Thursday. (thanks for the eagle update, Bim!!) And welcome, Ravel. Hope you enjoy your holiday.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mags, thanks for the new weekender thread and the great introductory words. That's a lot to think about, but I've now got all weekend to consider it!!

See you guys around!!
Old 10-03-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I had to test out my powered wheelchair on the bus today...getting up the ramp is not the easiest - my front guide wheels seem to have a mind of their own...but moving around inside the bus and getting off the bus is a piece of cake,

D
I glad the test went well. I imagine getting up the ramp will also become easier the more accomplished you become.

Love the gif Bim.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

I love the tree and roots metaphor. I'm a big fan of nature, and trees in particular. When things are getting messed up in my head a walk in the trees usually fixes me right up. And I love thinking of my sobriety and life as a tree - working to ensure my roots are healthy so that the new growth is strong and full. Love it.

I just typed out a whole update on my kitchen renovation and decided not to post it. There's a minor snag, but it's all beautiful so far and I don't want to complain about something that's out of everyone's control. I know I'll be happy with the final result, and that's all that matters.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon thanks for putting new link. I clean forgot I think.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Trying to bump this up to the top of the list in Newcomers...

Tiny tree, tiny wind.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Beautiful photo Bim x
Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

trees are so comforting. what a beautiful thread.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I’m in and planning to be strong for my first sober weekend in a long time.