Notices

13 days in. Still no energy?!?! Lots of anxiety

Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13 days in. Still no energy?!?! Lots of anxiety

I cold turkeyed off about a gram of heroin per day which I’d been taking for about 5 months. Opiate pills for a few months before that. I’m still ALWAYS tired. ALWAYS anxious. It’s been nearly 2 weeks and I’m still just barely getting by. Barely sleeping, etc.

any advice or support would be greatly appreciated!! I just want to feel normal again!!! Will it ever happen?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

gpat, I have no experience with heroine. Only alcohol and cigarettes.

I know I was really frustrated after quitting alcohol because I was not feeling any better (or at least not as good as I expected) for over 2 weeks. I am sure that, if you are able to analyse the past 13 days, you are probably better today than 1 week ago. I understand that the craving for heroin is really difficult to fight and you have gone through the worst. Don't let the long-term goals defeat your most important aim: not using now.

You will get better. Every day you are getting better as long as you don't use. It may take a bit longer to feel it than we expect. Best of luck
Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!! I’m just wondering if I’ll ever be myself again? I used to laugh at work and have energy to complete my assignments. Now I can barely make it through the day. Yet still can’t sleep.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will be yourself again. 13 days is terrific, amazing and fab but it is still very early days.

I am an ex-heroin user (24 years) and it took me around 9 months to start feeling relaxed again and to properly find my laughter. I was very tired and anxious in the early days. I would shake and stammer if anyone tried to talk to me.

The good news is that it is not like it is crap for 9 months and then better - it is progressive, you will progressively feel better, you will progressively find your laughter. You will start liking yourself more. You will start having good days and my guess is that will be fairly soon.

Watch out for that voice that wants you to doubt that and fear that you are never going to be normal again. That is the addiction talking.

You will, without a doubt feel normal again. Be patient.

Once again congrats on that 13 days.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found my first 3 weeks without alcohol grueling. It became better after 2 weeks and much better after 3. Insomnia has taken 12 weeks, but I was feeling much better already even without sleeping.

You are doing a massive thing. Not only is your body healing from the damage (and how tired we feel is a sure sign of the magnitude of that damage), your mind is using plenty of energy to stay away from your poison. Try to enter survival mode at work. As much as you can, just make sure you do enough to go by without any big mistake.

I am sure you thought that staying 3 days sober was a big achievement when y ou were on day 1. You have done much more. Don't go back to day zero.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
You will be yourself again. 13 days is terrific, amazing and fab but it is still very early days.

I am an ex-heroin user (24 years) and it took me around 9 months to start feeling relaxed again and to properly find my laughter. I was very tired and anxious in the early days. I would shake and stammer if anyone tried to talk to me.

The good news is that it is not like it is crap for 9 months and then better - it is progressive, you will progressively feel better, you will progressively find your laughter. You will start liking yourself more. You will start having good days and my guess is that will be fairly soon.

Watch out for that voice that wants you to doubt that and fear that you are never going to be normal again. That is the addiction talking.

You will, without a doubt feel normal again. Be patient.

Once again congrats on that 13 days.

thank you sooo much for your response!! I know that it will take time to heal, I just never thought I’d feel this bad after two weeks. I’d you have anymore advice or insight to add, feel free!! I need all help I can get
Old 10-02-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you start to feel better soon.

I was an alcoholic but it took me about 30 days to even start and get some energy happening.

D
Old 10-02-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gpat1979 View Post

thank you sooo much for your response!! I know that it will take time to heal, I just never thought I’d feel this bad after two weeks. I’d you have anymore advice or insight to add, feel free!! I need all help I can get
Hang in there - I have done cold turkey detoxes in the past and it does feel really crappy but you will be shifting out the other side of it soon. Not long now until the weekend when hopefully you can rest up some. In the meantime stay close to this forum, it helps. There is a lot of shared wisdom and kindness here. I can see you have dipped in and out over the years so I am sure you already know that.

Do you do meetings at all or have any support elsewhere?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven’t been to any meetings this time around. I haven’t told anyone about my recent heroin use. Not family or friends. It would hurt then too much. My parents are old now and have seen me struggle for most of my adult life. This one has been my “secret” though I suspect they know something is amiss as I can’t even muster a smile or kind words when I see them. Which is every day. I definitely need to go to some meetings.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't do meetings. It is not the only way. There is probably a whole army of us out there that have cleaned up on our own. Just kind of hidden. But meetings are an option, right? Probably kind of nice hanging out in rooms with other people who just get it.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the best advise i can give is to give time time. it can take many months for the mental effects of dopin to be fully gone. dont let that discourage you,though- put in the footwork and you will get weller.
and dont use even if your ass is fallin off.

i strongly encourge you to look into working the steps along with going to meetings. im still amazed at the change the steps did internally for me.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I just wanted to quickly comment that I was in a dual diagnosis outpatient treatment where people were detoxing from all sorts of substances, the one you were on included. Over the six week period, while staying free of the substances, everyone improved massively and were feeling way more normal. After just few weeks in, almost everyone was still struggling with negative physical and mental symptoms. By six weeks, feelings of more normalcy was present. In my situation of alcohol, it’s a bumpy road with ups and downs. I have to remember that I was often not living life on life’s normal, bumpy terms while drinking and I was also overthinking how I was feeling a lot early on. I still do. Hang in there and good luck!
Old 10-03-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I cold turkeyed off about a gram of heroin per day which I’d been taking for about 5 months. Opiate pills for a few months before that. I’m still ALWAYS tired. ALWAYS anxious. It’s been nearly 2 weeks and I’m still just barely getting by. Barely sleeping, etc.

any advice or support would be greatly appreciated!! I just want to feel normal again!!! Will it ever happen?
Hey,

Opiates mess with your brain chemistry and often lead to something called 'post-acute withdrawal symptoms'. It's basically like less severe withdrawal symptoms that you'll feel after your actual withdrawal. Some people say it doesn't exist whereas tons of opiate addicts, myself included, say it definitely does.

Do some research on it and you'll find ways of managing it whilst your brain essentially rewires itself. It does get better, some people don't experience it at all, others experience it for 6 months or a year. It all depends on how long you were using and how much. But, it does get better and it is manageable.

Good luck!

Natom
Old 10-04-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How are you today Gpat?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 15. Currently at work. My energy has improved slightly, but the anxiety is still very high. It’s like my body is in fight or flight mode ALL the time!! The slightest things are making me freak out. Also, prone to crying for no real reason?!?!

thanks for checking in on me!!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 15 is great! Past the 2 weeks mark is major.

Will you be able to get some downtime over the weekend? Sounds like it might be good to unwind over a rubbish box set or whatever helps you to relax.

Crying sounds about right! I had forgotten that one.