Notices

Day 46

Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Day 46

Hi all, I haven’t been posting on here much recently but thought I’d share my progress.

For context, I’m turning 52 next week and have been a serial-upon-serial relapser. I’d make it a week, maybe two before falling back into the drinking routine. 12 glasses of wine after work, then periodic binges of multiple days landing me in the ER. Over and over.

By the grace of a higher power, this time is different. I did a very supportive detox program, now I’m in an intensive outpatient program. The therapist facilitator is wonderful, as are the group members. We’ve formed a bond and safe space to share our thoughts and feelings.

I’m also on anti craving meds, which have been a game changer. I just wonder why I was never offered these before, they make a HUGE difference. Daily morning meditation is also very helpful.

I was close to dead more than once in my drinking journey. Now I feel like I have hope, serenity and enthusiasm for life. I’m sleeping great, eating well, and have lost 10lbs without even dieting.

So:

- no matter your age or condition, don’t give up
- there’s no need to be alone. So many suffer from addiction, but in our common suffering we can find strong bonds. I felt so alone as a drunk. Now I feel connected to people.
- see a doctor and explore medical support.
- keep adding tools to your toolbox. Eventually you’ll find the right set of tools. Be open to everyone and everything.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PinnacleOR, day 46 is epic! I am pleased that you have found the support that you need. It all sounds fab. Thanks for sharing your positivity and experience. It is coming up for bedtime here in the UK and that is a nice post to end the day with.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

awesome!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on 46 days.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post PinnacleOR - and happy birthday!

D
Old 09-30-2019, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

46 days is fantastic. Thank you for the update.