Notices

Here , fed up , embarrassing

Old 09-29-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here , fed up , embarrassing

here again, managed a day

usual stuff .. will probably post once and disappear on a bender for 4 weeks again 🤷🏻*♂️

Totally miserable,life is falling to bits and all alcohol related ..well all me related

how to break cycle ?
Old 09-29-2019, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

how to break the cycle ?

Do the opposite of this RE ):

will probably post once and disappear on a bender for 4 weeks again 🤷🏻*♂️
I posted here each and every day, sometimes all day...I made different chopices instead of buying more booze...and slowly those alcohol free days began to mount up.

It was hard some days, but I'd worked hard to remain drunk - I needed to work as hard, or harder to stay sober.

It's not magic or anything like that - if you have a willingness for change and action you can do this rainyengland
D
Old 09-29-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D

fed up of being a failure , will be here ..need to put a stop to this
Old 09-29-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RE,
There is a trail near my home where I often hike. Along parts of it is a large, linear depression...I tried for years to figure out what it might be. Nearby there are the crumbled foundations of homes from well over 100 years ago, so it’s an area that saw a good bit of human activity.

Come to find out, that depression is an old wagon road from the earliest days of settlement of the area. 100 years on, the wallowed out roadbed is still visible, though now there are mature trees growing within it.

When I read about habits, neural pathways, and the brain and addiction, I came to view my very nasty drinking habit as a well worn wagon path in my brain. At the beginning, it was fresh, so it was hard to get off of that path. Picking up new activities, any activities, was like striking off through the forest.

But eventually, I created new paths. The old path of drinking, while still there, is all grown up and unused. The new paths, walking, running, work, etc. are well worn now.

Do something different. Anything. If you are like me, and the evening was drinking time, plug in another activity. Walking is a popular one. Get up early, go to bed early. The next day, do it again. It truly does get easier with time, but at first you must take action. Inertia is a powerful force, but sobriety has it’s own momentum. But it does take time.
-best wishes,
-bora
Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Dee said.

Up to you to CHOOSE to break the cycle rather than set it up once again - seems impossible and indeed for me, terrifying to see what it would be like once I did just that. So worth it, more than words can say.

Hope to see you CHOOSE to be here and not do the disappear once again pattern.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Only you can throw the monkey wrench in your addiction. Make sure its good and stuck. To give you time to heal and figure it out cause eventually the wrench is gonna come loose and the machine I going to come full throttle . prepare yourself. ✌
Old 09-29-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's been seven years since you joined this site.

What do you want?

Do you want to quit or do you want to still drink? It's a black or white choice. It is the One Thing people like us really have to pick a side.

Not one drink. Not ever, no matter what. Once I made that decision, every other decision in my life has backed that up.

How about joining the Class of October thread when it starts up? I found checking in every day in my Class of March thread gave me an additional layer of accountability.

We don't get a million chances at this.

Pick a side.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Going on a bender is probably not a good idea. I found I couldn't make the consequences bad enough to keep me sober. Sometimes a lower bottom is not the answer.

I needed hope. Read some of the gratitude posts or Choose a person you admire on SR and read a bunch of their posts.

Instead of digging deeper, start where you are each day and see how high you can climb.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shake up the routine. Force yourself to do some things differently. It will feel uncomfortable, but I think it will give you a chance to make this work long-term. Do something that you think will help you, even if you don't want to do it.

James, you can do this.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You make the choice! It's up to you to not drink.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey RainyEngland, why don't you join the 24 hour thread? Just pop in once a day and promise not to drink for the next 24 hours. And then post as often as you need to help you not drink for the next 24 hours. Slowly the days will build up and the cycle will be broken.

If you disappear on a bender, I don't know exactly what will happen but I know none of it will be good. If you stick around here and stay sober, I don't know exactly what will happen but I know you will start to rebuild your life. Because that's what happens when we stay sober. Life doesn't suddenly become perfect but we do start to rebuild. I guess it's human nature. Once we have clarity, we sort stuff out. Clarity or carnage? It's your choice. I hope you stick around.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi

thanks for the replies everyone :-)

i’m Going to stick around and give it my all I think , day at a time
Old 09-29-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and went on turbo trainer tonight ..first time in 18 months I guess

torture !! Only managed 10km :-(
Old 09-29-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope you stay.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post
need to put a stop to this
I read stuff on the online forums all the time about people "needing" to stop, "wanting" to stop, "hoping", praying", "wishing", people with "good intentions". Thing is, alcohol (or alcohol addiction, or the addictive voice, or however you decide to describe it) doesn't care about what we want, need, wish for, hope for, or pray for. What it doesn't like is when we actually do something, when we set short-term, achievable goals & then align our behaviour to support those goals.
It sounds like you're starting to do something, rainyengland, & that's what will get you results. Best wishes
Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds like you want help. There is a lot of it here. Stay and see what happens.