Notices

New to forums, new to AA

Old 09-28-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forums, new to AA

Hi, everyone,
i'm 72 days sober. dedicated to staying sober. I know this is the right path. i'm so glad i got desperate enough to go in to a meeting.

I'm not great emotionally, i'm still really struggling with all the things that made me start drinking 14 years ago as a teenager. I dont know if i've matured much since being a teenager...

I drank because i was miserable. But drinking was another, worse yet, type of horrible. I couldnt stop when everyone around me was done and going home. I wanted more, more, more, until was so messed up, i was barely alive for the 24-48 hours after that. Depression, suffering, pain. bad decisions, disappointing myself and others.

My shame was so intense at the beginning of this journey. now it's a lot more like I'm proud of myself instead of ashamed. Sobriety really is a gift. i've done so many things since being sober and realized what it;s like to experience something for real, and not be experiencing it with all of my senses, my intellect, all of that dulled by the effects of alcohol. i thought being drunk was the most fun but it became like i had a sickness. Like i just compulsively just drank and tipped back the glass like i had no choice, i didnt really want to be doing that. I only thought i wanted that first drink, not realizing that the first drink almost always led to a dozen more.

Alcohol overpowered me. i finally realized it. I feel very lucky to have this new freedom and chance at a real life.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, SassyAdria! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard - and congrats on 72 days sober

D
Old 09-29-2019, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done. You are still young. So good that you are stopping now.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job! glad you are here.

Are you working the steps with a sponsor? I "officially" started that work at 97 days, having known I was committed to AA from the first meeting as I was at my final stop. You are early days, excellent as they are, and can see things like shame continue to "lift" and also be manageable when those feelings do re-emerge when they do (and they will).

Keep going and sharing with us.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you are here!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome my sober friend. Congrats on your 72 days. Its cool that you getting the sober thing early in your life. God knows a lot of us here wish we would have did the same as you're doing now but hey better late than never I remember my 72nd day I am now at 148 days and I started to hear on sober recovery so again welcome keep up the good work ✌
Old 09-29-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congrtulations on 72 days of recovery. It sounds like you're doing well.

And, yes, it's very hard to deal with what led us to alcoholism, but it's a worthwhile journey. Also, I think it's common to stop maturing and growing as a person while we are drinking.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome SassyAdria!!!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations.

Originally Posted by SassyAdria View Post
now it's a lot more like I'm proud of myself instead of ashamed.
^THIS says it to me. You're going to be fine.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, it's a trip learning that we have this disease thing. I just know that I drink cause my brain thinks it will do what it did once upon a time. I'm grateful for this site and AA.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 09-30-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Many of us drank in part to relieve depression. It might be a good idea to address this dimension of your sobriety with a qualified mental health professional .
All the best to you
Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouraging words! It’s nice to know there are other people in the same boat.
Glad to be here🌞 💚
Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We're happy that you have discovered our forums and I am delighted that you have found AA.

I haven't had a drink since I first stepped into the room of my first AA meeting.

To say the least, I felt so bad and had made such a large mess out of my life that my sobriety got off to a very confusing start.

But I started working the 12 steps with a sponsor and began going to many, many meetings, and I began to get the picture of what a life in recovery could be.

It's been quite a blessing.

Please keep us apprised as to your efforts.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just caught your thread.

WELCOME SASS!

Keep posting, join newcomer threads- it helps.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you today SassyAdria?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Good job! glad you are here.

Are you working the steps with a sponsor? I "officially" started that work at 97 days, having known I was committed to AA from the first meeting as I was at my final stop. You are early days, excellent as they are, and can see things like shame continue to "lift" and also be manageable when those feelings do re-emerge when they do (and they will).

Keep going and sharing with us.
Thank you Yes I am working with a sponsor, currently on the 4th step, which I've started but kind of dreading doing. I think my mind is always ruminating on the resentments i feel, so it should not be hard! but writing it all down is apparently pretty therapeutic. I'm not really sure why i'm resisting it!

still so thankful to be sober. Going to a pumpkin patch today and i'm not going to be obsessed with the possibility of drinking at any point, so I can freely enjoy the day and be a better person for my family. Such a great feeling. Truly feeling what's happening in the moment! <3
Old 10-05-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
How are you today SassyAdria?
Hi there! I am doing pretty well today. I'm grateful for the gift of sobriety. I can't believe the little things i'm accomplishing from just not being hungover and having a calm physical state. Not waking up with throbbing headache, racing heart beat, and guilt. Just waking up as me! Not perfect but at least it's me doing my best, and facing the good and the bad in life, now.
How are you doing?
Hope you have a wonderful day!!!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is good

One day at a time. You're doing great!