Notices

Why relapse?

Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why relapse?

I have read many relapse posts on these pages. It scares the living daylights out of me. I know for an absolute fact that if I drink again I will drink myself to death. Possibly in one go but if not then certainly in a short period of time.

I wonder what the thought processes are before a relapse. I suppose they may vary greatly. What remains the same though is the outcome. Abject full-blown progressive alcoholism.

I assume that some of the thinking may be like this:

1. I have been sober for some time/a long time. I feel physically good, I am healthy and in control. Perhaps I can drink normally again like I used to drink in the early days. I think I would like to try that.
2. I have been sober now for a good while. I feel healthy and good. But things are a bit stale. I would really like just one buzz weekend again. That nice feeling of escapism and being a little bit drunk. I know I can stop, I have done it before. I will stop again on Monday.
3. I have been sober, healthy and fit for some time now. Perhaps I can be just a weekend drinker, just Saturday nights really. I would like to try it.
4. I have tried sobriety. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Life is still pretty meaningless, boring and lonely. I may as well drink again, at least that is some pleasure for a short while.

I am petrified at the thought of another day one. The withdrawal, anxiety, self-loathing and misery is awful. I take great comfort in reading posts here by people with long-term sobriety under the belt. It is possible.

I am doing everything I can to stay on this sober bus. It is the only place for me to be, now and for the rest of my life.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m pretty scared at the thought too, which is a good thing in a way as I won’t be tempted to have that “one” drink. There are plenty of posts on here from those who’ve had “just the one” after a period of sobriety and revert back to full blown alcoholism within weeks. These are normal decent people who aren’t weak in any way, but through bad luck or whatever they very sadly relapsed. I’m no better or smarter so reckon that there but for the grace of whoever go I.

The only thing I think would cause me to relapse would be if I developed a mental issue such as depression.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was just reading Metallica have postponed their tour here cos James Hetfield is back in rehab.

It can seem like relapse is an ever present monster - but I think it's vital to remember relapse can only happen if we give our consent.

I know there are members here who have been sober for decades. Full and permanent recovery is possible.

For me it's about doing everything possible not to drink again (or smoke or whatever).

I've made a commitment to a sober life and I love that sober life.

Its simply not worth going back to the fake joy of being drunk.

D
Old 09-27-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was just reading Metallica have postponed their tour here cos James Hetfield is back in rehab.

It can seem like relapse is an ever present monster - but I think it's vital to remember relapse can only happen if we give our consent.

I know there are members here who have been sober for decades. Full and permanent recovery is possible.

For me it's about doing everything possible not to drink again (or smoke or whatever).

I've made a commitment to a sober life and I love that sober life.

Its simply not worth going back to the fake joy of being drunk.

D
This bums me out as I was just watching a video of himself talking about getting sober. I think on joe rogan podcast. I wish him the very best.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me relapse is scary . thus I avoid it. I mean why test the waters .......again. Gonna get the same result. .....ball and chain back on the ankle......no thanks. ✌