Notices

Sober Friends Weekender -Weekenders 27 - 30 September 2019

Old 09-26-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sober Friends Weekender -Weekenders 27 - 30 September 2019

Welcome to the Weekenders

Sober Friends. Friends who support each other when the going gets tough.

Friends who get us, and support us over ‘bumps’ in the road.

Friends that ‘get’ us and understand how we’re feeling.

Supporting each other when the going gets tough, sharing our trials...And tribulations.

I found my best sober friends are here on Sober Recovery. They get me. Any qualms or fears of picking up out of your control, come here, there’s always someone around 24/7.

Together we can beat it.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks Mags and......Shotgun!!

My SR friends are an absolute rock for me and I’d be lost without all of your support! x
Old 09-26-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one on Shotgun MantaLady
Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!
Count me In.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags.

Funny thing and coincidence because the last couple of weeks I have been in contact with a lady who I had been in detox with last year.
We have had a few calls and are meeting up in November in Toulouse.

I consider her my first sober friend (in real physical life and outside SR) .
Someone who knows.

Hello to all
Old 09-26-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning friends. I'm in for another sober weekend. Or as Saou would say...

IN!
Old 09-26-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I won't be drinking anytime in the next few days. In.

Sober friends. Yeah, that would be you guys. People I spend time with IRL are drinkers. I'm old enough that people my age are mostly a once-in-a-blue-moon glass of beer or wine drinkers, so that's nice. That and I just don't go places where there is drinking as The Pastime. Nothing quite so sad as an old person at a bar mid afternoon. Oh, wait, that was me. Well, mostly at home, but still.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m in!

Sober friends are key. I’m so grateful to have all of you here to come to when the going gets really tough, and just through the trials and tribulations of “normal” life. And my friends in AA. The sense of community with people who understand. Thats good stuff.

I too, have no plans to drink this weekend (or ever) so I’ll be around.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for another wonderful weekender thread
Old 09-26-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Great OP Mags! It's hard to overstate the importance of friends on SR. Unless you have friends IRL who are also in recovery then they will not understand what it's like in the way people on these threads do. The same applies to medical professionals too in my opinion, they understand the physical impact and they are aware that it is caused by a malfuntion in our brain but they do not quite "get" it. For example my impression is that most GP's here in the UK suggest tapering. To a non addict that would seem totally logical but as regards to the two drugs I have personal experience of, alcohol and tobacco, tapering simply didn't work. (just to clarify, i'm not suggesting anyone disobey their doctors advice). Although I have never met them I have made some important friends on SR.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've written about my taper many times on SR. I tapered off a 12-16 units per day habit down to zero in three days.

It worked for me, BUT I didn't try to work a long taper with planned step-downs. I wanted to quit, I used the taper as medicine. I also knew that if I had more than two drinks, I wasn't going to stop that day and would just keep drinking. So my taper was 2 on the first day, 1 drink on the second day, and a half shot of rum on the 3rd day. It was only to keep the symptoms manageable and I didn't chug the drinks, I sipped them through the day.

3 days. If I hadn't been able to do it, well, that wasn't an option. I WAS going to do it.

To be fair, I didn't know alcohol withdrawal could be dangerous. That may have influenced me in a bad way had I known that. In my case, ignorance was bliss and it ended well - maybe against all odds, but it did.

I came to SR on day three or four of clean sobriety, I think. Forums had been helpful to me in other areas of my life.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

I have met a few people here who have become great friends. Other than the sober people I know in AA, the people here are the people who actually get it. And there's always someone here.

My remodel has hit a very minor snag. It's easily fixed, but the timing of it means I'm going to have to go an extra week with no working kitchen. The place I bought my new appliances from only delivers to my town two days a week. I had originally hoped they could deliver them next Wednesday, but things will not be ready in the kitchen by then. So the following Tuesday or Wednesday will be the earliest. Could be much worse, and I'll live.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

When I stopped drinking I just stopped from around three bottles of wine a day to zero.
I was too scared /ashamed/embarrassed to tell anyone and get help, my anxiety was through the roof for quite a time., which I thought was my work and my marriage causing me the stress. I naively didn’t think it was because of stopping drinking until later.

Only when I joined SR and read other’s experiences did I realise. I was then able to start my recovery journey.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I quit cold turkey also. I had cut down some before then - I had gone from probably averaging a bottle to a bottle and a half of wine a day to not drinking every day, and drinking a little less overall, but it was still a lot, and it was probably somewhat dangerous for me to just stop. I had no idea at the time that it could be a problem. Thankfully it wasn't. I know better now, and if I were giving another alcoholic advice on quitting I'd always tell them to get medical help.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.
Since being in a recovery progam, from Jul, 2016- Jan, 2018 I have a few friends from that program and meetings...but most of these people have relapsed and still have aways to gain a true understanding of what this stuff is all about..they are friends, but I would never rely on them to be there for me.

Enter SR. This place serves me well. Since uses 'in'...I will choose another

Active, enthusiastic participant...
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

oops- since Sao uses 'in'..
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mr

since PJ uses Active, enthusiastic participant...
Present, eager partaker

It's friday

On this day 27/09 in 1066 a certain William set sail for England.

Have a great day weekenders
Old 09-26-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning gang, yesterday I was reading an article about how alcoholism is one of the only illnesses that people are ashamed to talk about and seesk help for. The woman who wrote the article compared it to HIV/Aids in the 1980's. That would have been a slight exaggeration but the point was well made. It was certainly something I wanted to keep quiet from anyone connected to work even though I would arrive hungover on a daily basis. It underscores Mag's OP about the importance of having people you can A.) speak to honestly and B.) understand what it is to crave booze or to use.

I reckon anyone can use the word "in." I should probably try to be more imaginative.

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
On this day 27/09 in 1066 a certain William set sail for England.
https://youtu.be/bIXQFaEsvlQ