Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Good piece on detachment. It's not just removal from one's life

Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excellent piece on detachment. Brings up all the associated issues covered here and else where. This isn't just about direct physical removal from one's life it includes things like enabling(don't) and allow them to hit a bottom(don't prevent a crisis). These are many of the things that friends and family in particular wind up doing until they realize someone is an actual addict in need of rehab/change. The seniors in the family's trying to prevent a crisis seems to have done the most damage as an adult because that could've been the life lesson they needed to change their ways.

Short excellent read

https://www.verywellmind.com/underst...tachment-63295
Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, thequest.
I recently began attending an al-anon meeting in my area...I felt the need to connect face-to-face with others who understand what I am experiencing.
I had to detach from my adult son by setting boundaries and ultimately I have expressed that his behavior around alcohol is not healthy, nor is it acceptable to me. For now, we do not see one another nor do we speak...his choice, but I am sure if asked he would blame me. I don't mind...I mean I do, it's all very sad, but I wouldn't change what I did because I know it was right for me, and ultimately for him too.
Right now, I am the little child who pointed out that the "emperor is not wearing any clothes", and I am alone for the most part. No one else wants to rock the boat. But it needed rocking, for sure.
Your post and this site, and al-anon meetings and the readings I do remind me that I am not alone at all, and that there is always hope.
Thank you.