Notices

relapse

Old 09-25-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relapse

Hey guys,
I picked up again and haven't stopped been drinking round the clock for 12 days. I hate alcohol so much but I drank again for seemingly no reason.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW, that's heavy drinking!! The best thing you can do for yourself is to check into an ER asap. You've been drinking so much, trying to quit on your own can be very dangerous. Good luck. John
Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by someday147 View Post
Hey guys,
I picked up again and haven't stopped been drinking round the clock for 12 days. I hate alcohol so much but I drank again for seemingly no reason.
The common denominator behind any compulsive behavior is the desire for a, “quick fix or mood changer,” for how we feel, the need to feel better, escape the trap of helplessness, frustration or whatever you want to call it. Addictive behavior is never random, addictive behavior is learned, there is always a reason and a reward. Whatever is rewarded gets repeated. (Trigger-Behavior-Reward-Repeat). You can’t get addicted to a substance or behavior that you have not learned does something for you.

Take advantage of the fact that you put your thoughts to words here and find out, "Why," you drink. When you understand why, it makes it so much easier to change.

Romans 12:2: “Don’t copy the behavior or values of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. The best way to fight bad ideas is to replace them with better ones. Transformation begins in the mind, because the way we reason affects how we act.

Let today be the beginning of your new life.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

My sponsor drank a gallon of vodka/ day and lost everything except his life ...

He just celebrated 30 years in AA 9/6/89

God Bless!

Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Have you decided to stop the madness?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I drink like this. That's why I should never and plan never to drink again. It's in the extreme danger zone on all fronts, and luck only lasts so long. If you can't stop straight away I would make yourself eat something, anything, and drink pints of water in between.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Someday, I hope that you decide to stop drinking. It would be a good idea to talk to your dr beforehand or to be prepared to go to an ER.

I do think it's important for you to consider what caused you to begin drinking this time. That way you can begin to create a plan to help you stop and to not start drinking again.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I actually found it easy to quit drinking with plenty of help. I started out by going to the hospital, where they gave me two IV's for dehydration. I then spent five days at a no-cost detox program, which provided medication. I followed up with lots of AA meetings, and joined SoberRecovery. Seven years later, I read and post here daily, am active in my local AA, and haven't had a drink.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello. Well there is no better time than now to stop boozing. We here will be here for you. As you start this journey of a lifetime. ✌
Old 09-25-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it sounds like you will very likely need medical assistance and/or supervision in order to stop alcohol completely. you have a serious medical illness and it should be treated as such. i do hope you take those steps today.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all thanks for the responses. I have managed to stop am sooo grateful right now. I was 47 days sober when I lapsed. I was going to meetings, private counselling once a week, reading and posting on sr, exercising regularly, journalling, meditation and eating healthily cooking daily. This just seemed to come out of nowhere I managed to get out a walk then had plenty of water and a meal. I feel ok and know whats coming but gonna come out of this stronger. I have some meds for the withdrawals not many but should see me through any serious withdrawal symptoms. Thanks folks really appreciate the replies and support. It feels like a miracle to have stopped. It seemed impossible my mind just somehow totally changed and I was able to discard what I had left easily.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad. I've had similar experiences this year. It's scary how fast and completely it can take over, and with me it seems to be getting faster and faster every time.
I can't live with the stress of being out of control anymore.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was controlled by alcohol, too, and would have multiple day binges. It gets so much worse if we keep drinking.

You mentioned AA. Have you done the steps? They helped me a lot with "turning on the lightbulb" and being able to stay away from the drink. I also used AVRT and other "urge surfing" techniques.

Curious what the circumstances were when you picked up again.

I'd definitely see what else you can add to what you're already doing. Don't give up. I wish you all the best and hope you can beat this thing.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only thing to do is stop, someday, So I'm glad you've done that,.

Now the trick is staying stopped. I no you said the idea to drink came of nowhere, but I think you need a plan for those ambush thoughts.

None of the things you were doing - going to meetings, private counselling once a week, reading and posting on sr, exercising regularly, journalling, meditation and eating healthily cooking daily -= aren't going to do much good if you don;t use them when you're in trouble

yeas, denying a craving can be hard, but it's not impossible, and a good plan reflects that

You can do this.

D