Notices

Tired Rant!

Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired Rant!

I've been getting the worst sleep ever the passed week, the hard part is actually falling asleep. I go to bed around 9:30pm every night and normally don't fall asleep til around 1am....I'm a person who needs 8 hours of sleep DAILY, or else I'm super cranky and annoyed for the day. It's just my chemistry. I know people who can get 5 hours and conquer the world. NOT THIS GIRL! Weird thing is I get up at 6am on the DOT everyday, and no matter how tired I still am I get up anyway, then regret it later. Today I tried to sleep in a little bit longer but couldn't. It's like adrenaline kicks in or something. Anyway I don't really know why i'm still talking about this. I hope you all have a great day !

day 5 sober.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is a problem for a lot of us in early recovery/withdrawal.
It gets better Tweetie - hang in there!

D
Old 09-20-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate to this, try going for an evening walk & keep active in the day, hopefully by the time bedtime comes you maybe so tired you fall straight to sleep 🛏
Old 09-20-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suffered with insomnia most of my life. I couldn't find a cure. I'd usually fuss all night and then fall asleep an hour or two before I had to go to work. When the alarm went off I would finally be in a deep sleep, but the alarm would call me to get ready for work. So off I'd go with two hours under my belt. It drove me crazy.

I'm retired now, so I don't have to be anywhere in the morning. There's so many good things about retirement, but I've got to tell you, one of things that topped the list was the fact that I could sleep when I needed, no matter what time it was. This took a lot of the pressure off, because part of the insomnia was caused by worrying about not being rested for my job. I'd worry, and consequently get less sleep.

Now my sleep is all over the place. I can go for a year being a night owl, or I can go for a year being the opposite. I have no control over these changes, it seems. Currently I'm going to bed around 11:00PM and getting up around 5:00AM. I seem to do fine on 6 hours, which is about my average, but on rare occasions I can sleep for 10 hours.

But there's no worries. I can just sleep when I need to. It seems that by taking away the pressure of the alarm, I just kind of default to 6 hours, and it's usually at night like a normal person. I cannot nap during the day. It just isn't going to happen. I don't know why. OK, if I'm sick, like really sick, I will sleep for three or four hours in the middle of the day, but it has to be something like borderline pneumonia, and it only happens maybe once in three years.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I suffered with insomnia most of my life. I couldn't find a cure. I'd usually fuss all night and then fall asleep an hour or two before I had to go to work. When the alarm went off I would finally be in a deep sleep, but the alarm would call me to get ready for work. So off I'd go with two hours under my belt. It drove me crazy.

I'm retired now, so I don't have to be anywhere in the morning. There's so many good things about retirement, but I've got to tell you, one of things that topped the list was the fact that I could sleep when I needed, no matter what time it was. This took a lot of the pressure off, because part of the insomnia was caused by worrying about not being rested for my job. I'd worry, and consequently get less sleep.

Now my sleep is all over the place. I can go for a year being a night owl, or I can go for a year being the opposite. I have no control over these changes, it seems. Currently I'm going to bed around 11:00PM and getting up around 5:00AM. I seem to do fine on 6 hours, which is about my average, but on rare occasions I can sleep for 10 hours.

But there's no worries. I can just sleep when I need to. It seems that by taking away the pressure of the alarm, I just kind of default to 6 hours, and it's usually at night like a normal person. I cannot nap during the day. It just isn't going to happen. I don't know why. OK, if I'm sick, like really sick, I will sleep for three or four hours in the middle of the day, but it has to be something like borderline pneumonia, and it only happens maybe once in three years.

Yes I too, struggle with insomnia...bedtime seems to be the time that i'm most wired with thoughts rushing around in my head. So annoying ! But I agree it's the worry of "how many hours am I going to get of sleep tonight?" I think it's all in my head at this point. My doctor wants to give me sleeping medication but i'm not interested!
Old 09-20-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I started having a bath with magnesium oil in each night about 45 mins before bed, downloaded some binaural beats sleep music which lasts an hour and put that on when I get in bed with headphones and found it really helpful to slow down thoughts and actually get off to sleep. I need my 8 hours too!! Exercise was another huge one for me, not gym or any serious stuff just walking every day. Hope it settles down for you soon x
Old 09-20-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know in early recovery I found it hard to sleep. I used to get up feeling exhausted but I would be so grateful that I was just tired and not hungover and suicidal.

I am not sure your drinking history but I think you are early days? Our body takes a while to drop from alcohol. We put out bodies through a real battering mentally and physically and then stop drinking and expect everything to be all fine and dandy immediately. And in my experience that wasnt the case. It took a while!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn’t really start having any proper sleep until the 3 1/2 week sober mark and now coming up to a few days off 5 weeks I’m sleeping like a rock. I have started exercising pretty hard so I think that has helped. I also have a mug of night time tea before bed which is very calming.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Unfortunately, your sleep cycle is one of those things that's quite severely affected during withdrawal and early recovery. I've only just realised that I've been using drugs to help me sleep for the last 5 years. Sleep has not come so well the last week or so and that's only because I've lowered my regular dose. God knows what will happen when I stop completely.

I know that it will get better. All things will pass.

Natom
Old 09-20-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm a chronic, lifelong insomniac. Why are you going to bed at 9:30 if you can't sleep till 1 every night? You are just stressing yourself out.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I'm a chronic, lifelong insomniac. Why are you going to bed at 9:30 if you can't sleep till 1 every night? You are just stressing yourself out.
veryyy true
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember going to bed at 11pm and not falling asleep until 6am. And I had to be at work that day!

Sleep will be badly affected in early sobriety, but it gets better within weeks. What’s more, you’ll sleep way better without alcohol in your system. I read it takes an ex-drinker up to two years to have “normal” (that word again 😀 ) sleep, but I reckon it’s more like a few months.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tweetie1988 View Post
veryyy true
I have long since tried to fight it. I do find exercise helps. But when I know sleep is nowhere in sight I just let it go. I read, binge watch netflix, paint, draw or write.
Your sleep troubles may just be related to early sobriety so hopefully it will work itself out relatively soon.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a chronic insomniac, too. As frustrating as it is, the harder you try to sleep and the more you worry about it, the worse it gets, for me anyways. Let it go is a good mantra, but I know how difficult it is to do that when you're wired and exhausted.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Everytime I quit - the magic mark of when sleep went from none to some was about 3-4 weeks. Until that point, racing mind, feeling sick, restlessness, falling asleep 5 minutes before getting up for work, etc.

Then the sleep gets a little bit better and better. Now I sleep ok! It's better than the hang over crap I woke up with for 20 years.

Just piping up that it takes some time to see improvements like others have said with varying lengths of time of when it does for different people. Hang in there!