Notices

New Here

Old 09-19-2019, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi there, new to online forum regarding my AH. Little backstory, married 23 years, two daughters, oldest out of nest and baby bird just starting local college and lives at home. I love my family and am grateful to have them. Nearly 7 years ago our family was hit by several traumas, just seems like one after another after another and ..we’re still trying to find our footing. I had never seen my AH drunk until then, and he is now a high functioning A and workaholic. He drinks at home for the most part. I love him so much and it makes me sad that he has become dependent on alcohol unintentionally and now he just can’t seem to quit. He’s calm and kind and basically drinks himself to sleep. I’ll begin attending Al-Anon meetings next week as I finally realize his sickness consumed me and now I must work on my own recovery. I’ve been advised by my therapist who is a 20 year sober A to separate from my AH for the sake of my own health and sanity. I’m committed to my husband, in sickness and in health, I won’t give up on him or us. How do I separate without actually leaving? I don’t have anywhere to go and I don’t want to add to his already broken heart.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Grace4Ever,

Welcome to Sober Recovery. I’ve not any experience in having an A husband as I am the alcoholic , though sober.

Though my husband I believe went a a forum, maybe even here and he started having hobbies on his own and getting on with his life while I drunk myself to sleep every night.

There will be members here who have been in the same situation or are in the same situation as yourself who will be here to help you.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a forum here for family and friends of A's.
I was the alcoholic that saw my (then) wife and 2 adult sons cut me loose...and although this saddens me, after 3.5y sober now- I understand why they did and I leave them be out of respect.

You and yours deserve to have a safe and peaceful life, not to be orbiting around someone- not going anywhere.

There are also Al- Anon meetings.

Support to you.