Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A restart, starting over.

Went three and something months then seven weeks of monkeying around, monkey destruction. Put the hand back in the cookie jar again and grabbed for the biscuit, wouldn't let it go and hand got stuck in the jar once again. Monkey business. Monkey ****

Time for champ business. Champ ****
Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry you drank but glad you are having a restart. The biggest thing to come out of it for me when I started drinking again last year after 4 months quit was the realisation that 'drinking is wrong for me'. Restarting is good if you have got that under your belt which is sounds like you have.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sometimes we need further proof that it's never going to be fun or relaxing & will only bring misery. Good that you made it back with new resolve.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok my friend glad you made it back here. Unfortunately not everybody does. Dust them knees off and get it crack in on some recovery. You got this. ✌
Old 09-18-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Epictetus

D
Old 09-19-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your thread title is good. I’m guessing you follow the Stoics. I’ve always like this one:

“We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more in imagination than reality.”
-Seneca
Old 09-20-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Iceberg has separated, floating in the sea, beyond the horizon

Standing with a pickaxe, the iceberg is floating away...

“Now is the time to get serious about living your ideals. How long can you afford to put off who you really want to be? Your nobler self cannot wait any longer. Put your principles into practice – now. Stop the excuses and the procrastination. This is your life! You aren’t a child anymore. The sooner you set yourself to your spiritual program, the happier you will be. The longer you wait, the more you’ll be vulnerable to mediocrity and feel filled with shame and regret, because you know you are capable of better. From this instant on, vow to stop disappointing yourself. Separate yourself from the mob. Decide to be extraordinary and do what you need to do – now.”
― Epictetus, The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness and Effectiveness
Old 09-20-2019, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Sometimes we need further proof that it's never going to be fun or relaxing & will only bring misery. Good that you made it back with new resolve.
Exactly this. A relapse is basically your addiction telling you that it can make you it's bitch very easily if it wants to. So get back on the wagon and ride the straight and narrow.

Natom.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Wave

Cravings arriving Saturday from early evening like WAVES lapping up against the beach. Normal I suppose.

Early wine WAVE cravings then later cheeky dram WAVE cravings bringing bigger WAVES.

Only one thing to do when the WAVES come crashing.....grab a surfboard and ride the WAVES!

Defaulting to action: the surfboard of cleaning and cooking was grabbed and the WAVES were rode out.

Cleaning is therapeutic and marries in positively as an outlet to an obsessive nature.

In bed before midnight. Tea and novel. Nothing good happens after midnight.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with the therapeutic value of cleaning and tiding up. My mother died one month into my recovery. I spent a solid two weeks tiding, packing away, cleaning out etc. It was good on so many levels.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep hanging ten Epictetus

D