Notices

I need to Do something different

Old 09-14-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to Do something different

Planning a sober life some times feels to me like strategizing for war. You have to think about the relaxed moments when you kid yourself you can control, or plan how to not die from withdrawal. I'm in the fear, panic, paranoid -maybe stage. I have to do something different to break the repetition of not controlling drink, behave crazily and manage to scrape out in one peice barely. Now I might have alienated my whole family.

What are successful sober people's most important points that they rely on. AA would be an obvious one, but I'm thinking exercise? Different routines every day to rewire your brain. Sky diving? I'm going to have to write them done and actually do them...
Old 09-14-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sobriety has to be no1 priority in your life. Everything you do is always geared around that commitment. It becomes second nature and the way you want to live after time anyway 🙏
Old 09-14-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Sobriety has to be no1 priority in your life. Everything you do is always geared around that commitment. It becomes second nature and the way you want to live after time anyway 🙏
I am just over 9 years quit, this is how it is for me too.

My sobriety is my top priority, anything that may threaten it is dumped.

Other things that help are working out at the gym, eating well, plenty of water, reading and listening to recovery material, I especially enjoy AA speakers, having close daily contact with a recovery buddy or sponsor.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me it is just knuckling down, pushing hard and doing what is needed no matter what. And through all this life carries on. It is not easy and often it is not fun but it has to be done.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to have to belatedly realise I can't drink at all, full stop. And this will push months sober to years or hopefully forever too. It's funny how you can deceive yourself for the longest. It doesn't work, it never works,and yet you do it over and over. Looking into the reason is interesting, but probably dangerous in the beginning for addicts.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am always reading something that inspires me:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 09-14-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
I think I'm going to have to belatedly realise I can't drink at all, full stop.
At some point in early sobriety, I had realization that I had never been a normal drinker, and would never be a normal drinker, which meant I could never, ever drink again.

That was a breakthrough for me.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and glad you came here for some pointers if you will. First off cograts on even coming to this site if you look around you will see different things that worked for folks to get better. I had the same feeling you had 133 days ago. It is definitely a process without a doubt but it can be done so first on the agenda stop boozing but before that prepare yourself to stop boozing get yourself a case of water some vitamins sOme soupiand slowly wean your way off booze stop drinking and just rest your mind is going to go bananas you will figure it out
Old 09-14-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think like exercise and hobbies, healthy diet, service things like volunteering help - but a really efficient and effective recovery action plan really needs to deal specifically with not drinking at all, and how to achieve that, IMO.

There are some good ideas here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 09-14-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
At some point in early sobriety, I had realization that I had never been a normal drinker, and would never be a normal drinker, which meant I could never, ever drink again.

That was a breakthrough for me.
Jesus Christ. I never thought of it this way. Thank you!!
Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
I think I'm going to have to belatedly realise I can't drink at all, full stop.
This realisation has brought me peace.