Notices

Day 37 and one of my toughest yet

Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 37 and one of my toughest yet

Today is Day 37 of being completely sober but it’s been one of my worst and I am pretty down to say the least. My skin has been on fire, itching, legs, hips and glutes all cramped and aching (I did stand for 8 hours on Wednesday at work) and tons of anxiety. Google doesn’t help as those symptoms all point towards MS.

A bit of history I’m 44 and drank beers all the time since I was a teen. Always had a lot of anxiety and decided to give up booze as the anxiety finally got too much.

Mid July I did blood work and all was good apart from GGT levels 104 (which as off of August 20th are 38) so that was progress from a few weeks of tapering and no booze at all 2 weeks leading up to that. ALT/ALS ratio was 2:1 and indicated possible liver disease so doc said keep sober and come back in a couple months to check again.

Last Thursday I had food poisoning and on Monday went to hospital to get blood work done and the My gave me an IV for hydration. They said blood work is “pristine” pretty sure they didn’t check my liver enzyme etc though.....again I’m sure they improved being 39 days sober.

I was beginning to feel good 2/3 weeks in then things got tougher from Day 30. Sleep is amazing, but can’t shake the anxiety and this damn itchy/burning/cramping.....it’s making me anxious and that itself could be causing the sensations.

Appetite is down A) because of food poisoning) B) because of the nervousness.

This is first time reaching out as I don’t have any family or outlet to really turn too. Google helped me through the initial stages of withdrawal in week one and I had the hold/cold sweats, panic, palpitations, shakes etc but this is worrying me that I don’t feel a lot better.

I’m basically scared.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would go back to your doctor. Make sure he knows about your past, and tell him what's going on. Other's may have experienced this as part of recovery, but I'm unfamiliar with it. I'd go see my doctor.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, go see your doctor. Congratulations on 37 days.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The hospital I went to on Monday for food poisoning was the same place as my Family Doctor. I’ve always had posture problems (which I presume are work related from years of repetitive actions) but the anxiety is bothering me thought I’d be home and dry after 37 days
Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 09-13-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would suggest talking to your doctor, too. The symptoms could be anxiety related or work/posture related, but I think you will feel better if you get your doctor's opinion on this.

Great job on 39 days!
Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I would suggest talking to your doctor, too. The symptoms could be anxiety related or work/posture related, but I think you will feel better if you get your doctor's opinion on this.

Great job on 39 days!
I’m going to keep a journal from today onwards and then see how I feel as I’ve battled anxiety since 1997 and always booze makes it worse. No booze/hangover pretty much means no anxiety. But apart from first week sober I’ve had no real anxiety until this week....it’s horrible

Last edited by Dan2019; 09-13-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Hadn’t finished my reply
Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Dan

Congrats on day 37!

The itchy prickly skin is common, as is the anxiety - at 37 days all that isn't that unusual if you've been drinking heavily since you were a teen 30 odd years ago.

I'd go for the more mundane diagnosis of alcohol detox/withdrawal over MS, but yeah please do go back to your doctor if you have any fears concerns or questions.

D
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good advice from others. Support to you.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I didn't find sr until 80 says clean. I was going insane. That is why folks don't make it out.

The problem is, drink to feel better, then when I stop, the hell is worse. It is a death spiral.

My only way out was to suffer.

I still suffer and the av says drink.

But, man when I feel good, which is most of the time, it is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

Drivng home at midnight after a night out, rock show, totally sober and confident is the best experience ever.

Funny how doing something normal is the best ever.

Waking up stone sober for that last 5 years has been amazing.

There is so much more, but the bottom line has been suffering in ever lowering levels.

But, as the levels of suffering decrease, the av says it is time to drink.

Sr keeps the reasons why I dont relapse in my face.

Thanks.