Notices

Here's to a new way of life.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here's to a new way of life.

I've actually realised today that I am now fully prepared and ready to change everything about my life that was holding me back and to remove all triggers and old behaviours. I've even contacted a Rambling club to join so I can go hiking in the beautiful hills and stunning countryside that i have neglected for so long. Change has to happen.
Change starts now. Action action action!! TODAY! No matter how hard it seems.

PEACE
X
Old 09-13-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brilliant sounds good to me 👍
Old 09-13-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow!! Great post. Sounds like you are determined to make the changes you need to have a sober life. Have fun. That's what it's all about. John
Old 09-13-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds great @RJY9

I've always fancied doing the 3 peaks challenge but to be honest I'm that unfit I wouldn't make it out of the car park! Still maybe one day... https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/
Old 09-13-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love your optimism. You can do it, RJ.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brilliant! You're ready for a new life and to do what it takes to get sober.
Enjoy! And best to you.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love it! Hiking is my favorite thing to do in the world. I hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ramble on RJ.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Possibly, the most enduring passion in my life has been hiking. It's something I started as a teenager, and now at 75, I'm still doing it, although toned down from the lung busting adventures from my 40 years in Montana. I now live along the Blue Ridge of Virginia, and yes, we have trails, some that I have all to myself. I just got an iPhone, and found this hiking app that maps your travels, distance, speed, and overlays it on a Google satellite image. Gone are the lovely days of not having a clue where you are, and not sure which way is out. It's the app for wimps who can't fathom the joys of spending an unplanned overnight without a sleeping bag. No, I actually love it. It does more stuff as if the app designers didn't know when to quit. I pull it out of my pocket to look at is so much that I think it takes .1 mph off my average speed, but it's new and I can't stop playing with it.

Where was I? Oh yeah, hiking is great, and better when sober. One day, I was on my way out of the mountains in Montana and I met this guy with a pack string of horses setting up camp at a high lake. He had wooden pack boxes that made into tables, a huge wall tent and enough to let him stay there for a month. He pulled out two half gallons of hard liquor and encouraged me to have a drink. I think I had two, and he wanted me to have another, but I declined knowing that with 6 miles ahead to make it out before dark, he probably wasn't going to give me a horse. As you know, for alcoholics one drink is too many and two is not enough, and walking out with that crappy two drink miasma that alcoholics pass off as a "buzz" was not fun. Talk about ruining the end of the day. Yuck!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

DriGuy - I love the Blue Ridge but got lost once, having set out too late in the day & darkness came so soon. I wasn't prepared - no flashlight - what a fool. I'm older too, & can't do the lung busters anymore - but still love the tamer paths and trails here in the Catskills.

RJ - Hope you're doing great today.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just did 2.8 miles on a nearby trail. Came in just a half an hour ago.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brilliant, RJ! Being out in nature has always helped me slow down and connect with the beauty all around. I am a cyclist and do some of my best thinking on my bike; when I arrive at my destination I feel calm and ready to roll on with my day. A positive attitude is extremely important to recovery. Wishing you all the best on the sober trail!