Notices

Saying hello

Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saying hello

Just to say hello to people on here as I'm new. I live in the UK, London. I've been going to AA for about four months but during that time the longest I haven't drunk alcohol for is fifteen days. On the sixteenth day, although it was a couple of tiny glasses of white wine (my excuse was a dinner with some friends of partner which I didn't want to attend) , that triggered a downhill path and true to form I'm having difficulty stopping again. Not sure what else to say.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I lost many stretches of sobriety thinking I could have just a few.
Needless to say, the results were disastrous. So you're certainly not alone there.
Good for you for taking action and going to AA. That's what saved me, too. That and this place.

I had difficulty stopping once I started again also. But you can do it. It took me many attempts but I never gave up trying. I've finally been sober over ten years.
You can do it, too. Just don't give up on yourself. You've got AA and a great place for support here. So I hope you stick around.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

I go to AA meetings at least twice a week as well as read and post here daily. I hope you stick around, and this is the beginning of a permanent sobriety.

Here's a couple good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7265352 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 455)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-1-2019-a.html (Class of September Part 1 2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

It's the 1st drink that gets us drunk not the 20th

We can't get drunk without that 1st drink

Our choice is between miserable unhappy drunken drinking and all the negative consequences

or

not taking 1 drink!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missionpossible View Post
Just to say hello to people on here as I'm new. I live in the UK, London. I've been going to AA for about four months but during that time the longest I haven't drunk alcohol for is fifteen days. On the sixteenth day, although it was a couple of tiny glasses of white wine (my excuse was a dinner with some friends of partner which I didn't want to attend) , that triggered a downhill path and true to form I'm having difficulty stopping again. Not sure what else to say.
We're very happy you're here, MP.

I strongly suggest that you continue going to AA and that you quickly get a sponsor and start working the steps with him/her.

I would also discontinue attending functions where alcohol is served, at least for a while.

I couldn't do that early on, although I now do so quite a bit.

Good luck with your sobriety and with working the AA program.

It has certainly worked for me for a pretty good while now.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missionpossible View Post
my excuse was a dinner with some friends of partner which I didn't want to attend) , that triggered a downhill path and true to form I'm having difficulty stopping again. Not sure what else to say.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Missionpossible

I find its a lot easier not to drink at all. Drinking a little but always ends up taking me to places I don't want to go.

It was hard to change my life and hard to say no to people - but all that was not as hard as drinking while trying to live a 'normal' life .

The changes get easier, I promise

D
Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another welcome! And I echo the comments above about going to meetings, getting a sponsor and working the steps. I also took my time being in and around social situations etc as I got some months under me.

Glad you are posting.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

and another welcome!

Check the Newcomer sticky's for makinga plan of recovery.

Join some threads.

Support to you, MI.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are on the right path. I knew and still know that I can never drink again. Freedom from this horrible addiction is possible and it is wonderful to read on this site post by people who have been sober for many years.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going missionimpossible?

D
Old 09-14-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. In order to stay sober, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. It's hard at first but it gets easier. Come here often for support and encouragement.