Notices

Day 9

Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9

just checking in with everyone. Had a rough day yesterday with a lot of cravings but managed to power through. To be honest I'm a bit surprised by myself for that. Sleep is still up the left and my mood is a bit low. The latter also surprises me as I don't suffer with depression or any mood issues, it's just seemed to dip a bit for no apparent reason. I can only imagine it's something to do with serotonin levels and brain chemistry rebalancing. I just wondered if anyone had a sense of how long it was until mood / cravings started to level out and improve. I was roughly about 40units a week kind of guy, 14 on a Wednesday, 10 on a Friday, 14 on a Saturday, normally whiskey, occasionally a bottle of wine. It's an odd thing too, I'm Irish and the level of normalisation of alcohol drinking here is a bit crazy, I always thought 40 units was high for a week and still do, but I know A LOT of people who drink that and more and just consider it normal life. Culturally alcohol is fairly prevalent here. Thankfully even my drinking friends never put pressure or tempt me to drink and these days everyone's so busy with family that we don't head out that much. Anyway, day 9 woo-hoo.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

9 days is brilliant

Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done brilliant 👍
Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day nine right on time my friend. Good job. Lets shoot for some double digits....😃 ✌
Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on 40 units (2 x 187ml bottles of wine a day) but was up to 70 before that.

Those cravings will be another few weeks yet I’m afraid. I had help from a drug called Campral. I’ll give more details of you want.

The cravings don’t get any worse if that helps? Well done for battling through.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Well done.
The cravings will take some time, but you are doing brilliant so far! It's almost to be expected to have some mood swings and not to feel the best on some days, it's temporary.

It's probably a mixture of brain chemistry readjsuting and, well, being used to use alchol as a mood enhancer/relaxant e.t.c. in certain situations. Just remember this will not stay like this forever.

I can understand some of this, I come from a country where alcohol consumption is very normalised too, and it was quite normal to make your first experiences with alcohol around 13/14. I was already starting to abuse alcohol by 16, and nobody batted an eye because as long as you stuck to the weekends and weren't falling down drunk, it was ok. Yeah no, for me it wasn't.

Good on you for doing the right thing for yourself! It's absolutely worth it.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats newlife

D
Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 9 is fab! Well done!

It is certainly a roller coaster with low mood and cravings. I am around 6 weeks and the cravings are much more manageable now, more fleeting. The moods are still all over the place. Early days, wonderful days, but still early.

Congrats again!