Notices

Incorporating Sports into my Recovery

Old 09-08-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Incorporating Sports into my Recovery

Hey there everyone,

First of all, I hope that everyone has a wonderful Monday. No logical reason to make out of a Monday a bad day

I have been trying to incorporate sports into my routine. I started playing tennis... more like resuming, I was once very good at it.

I still want to go to the gym, however, I am a heavy chain smoker. It becomes a vicious cycle, I get panic attacks to go to the gym because I know I'm going to run out of breath, but at the same time the lack of routine does not allow me to stop smoking.

I know this sounds really weird, but I get super anxious of going to the gym. Is not much about being judged per se (I could not give less than a F what people think. Is more about I know that I always want instant gratification, and the fact that I have to align it with a diet or healthy eating, makes me SO anxious.

Anyone that has go through this weird sort of anxiety? Any tips on overcoming it?

Enjoy your week guys,

Hope!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what you mean by your lack of routine does not allow you to stop smoking.

You have the power - you can quit whenever you want., Look up quit.com in whatever country you're in

All I can tell you is my lungs thank me every year since I stopped smoking.

Get that lung capacity back and you'll feel less anxious

D
Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not sure what you mean by your lack of routine does not allow you to stop smoking.

You have the power - you can quit whenever you want., Look up quit.com in whatever country you're in

All I can tell you is my lungs thank me every year since I stopped smoking.

Get that lung capacity back and you'll feel less anxious

D
Actually I was able to stop smoking for a day. Might be a coincidence, but I slept like a baby. It was so comforting.

By the way, you're an inspiration to me man, thanks for doing what you do!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for the kind words

D
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,

I can't help you with the smoking, but maybe this is a neat alternative to the gym: 1 1/2 years ago I started to do the "Focus T-25"-workouts, each workout takes 25 minutes, each workout is highly effective. If you follow the tempo of that fitness crew, it's fairly demanding, in fact when I started it, my body was shell-shocked. It's cardio training without any breaks, search for "Focus T 25" on Youtube. In case you're interested in, I can give you further input, how the training is structured and so on.

Since your living room is your gym and it lasts just 25 minutes, there's hardly any excuse to skip a workout. You're just going to do it on a daily basis, plus, you'll finally find out, how long 25 minutes are.

In case you're done, there's a backstop in that workout: the lady on the right modifies the exercises slightly, simply follow her.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve been going to the same gym for nearly two years. I first went as a 110Kg (243lb) drinker, and sure I felt self conscious. Now I’m 88Kg (194lb), and I don’t reckon I need to have felt self conscious at all. I’m happy to help out newcomers and those carrying a few extra pounds. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I admire newcomers who make the effort.

It never gets easier physically unfortunately. As your fitness improves, you work harder.

A big help is to go to the gym even if you’re feeling nervous or unmotivated on some days. Even a little bit of exercise is better than none and helps maintain fitness levels.

If you can afford it, get a trainer. I now only train with a trainer every three weeks, but that keeps me on my toes and my training plans get changed as needed.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I’ve been going to the same gym for nearly two years. I first went as a 110Kg (243lb) drinker, and sure I felt self conscious. Now I’m 88Kg (194lb), and I don’t reckon I need to have felt self conscious at all. I’m happy to help out newcomers and those carrying a few extra pounds. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I admire newcomers who make the effort.

It never gets easier physically unfortunately. As your fitness improves, you work harder.

A big help is to go to the gym even if you’re feeling nervous or unmotivated on some days. Even a little bit of exercise is better than none and helps maintain fitness levels.

If you can afford it, get a trainer. I now only train with a trainer every three weeks, but that keeps me on my toes and my training plans get changed as needed.
Getting a trainer was one of my ideas. But they charge 100 euros an hour. Even if I was a billionaire I would not pay for that.

So, I think I got to do it on my own.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exactly the same here Hope1989.

But I just make myself go and hope this never happens to me
Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think maybe you need to shift your focus from getting whatever results you think you want to all the other benefits of working out? Endorphins, mobility, strength, less stress, better sleep, etc.

And, if one type of exercise doesn’t feel good to you, why do it? Only do things that you enjoy and that make you feel good. I feel like exercise should be an enjoyable activity, not a punishment in order to look a certain way.

Once I stopped focusing on results or weight loss and just did stuff I actually enjoy, I found it a lot easier to exercise regularly. And I’m still fat and probably will continue being that way, but it doesn’t matter cuz I’m happy with my habits and routines.

So I would start small. Ease into it and be kind to yourself.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe just go to the gym and do a little walking on the treadmill for 15 or 20 minutes at the beginning. Then spend some time in the sauna. That would help to clean out your system of the nicotine, etc. I see a lot of newcomers that do just that. The important thing is to just get used to going until it becomes a habit. Everything else will fall into place after that. John
Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have been working out as hard as I can for over 4 years.

I am not trying to go insane in the gym, just work out hard.

I am not in amazing looking shape, yet. I am way stronger and have more stamina, I just don't look like a Greek God, yet.

I don't diet. I eat what I want responsibly. I pay attention to not over eat.

I am totally med free and what I have found is my brain/body gets endorphins etc from nearly every good thing I do.

When I see a heavy or older weak person in the gym I totally think good on you.

The hardest part of the gym, or life, is dealing with percieved mean/selfish people. I try to be nice, but that doesn't mean I come across all the time as nice.

I just got back from a mini vacation to Disneyworld. It is a sea of awkwardness all day. I had to watch out the whole time the whole way. The closest call I had was the guy at TSA. He was throwing the plastic bins. He seemed to almost want to hit me right in the face with a bin. I flinched, looked at him, and walked away. Scary.

I saw so few people drinking the whole trip. Those that were, did not look happy to me. They looked self absorbed and distracted.

Bottom line. It gets better and better. Time heals.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Getting a trainer was one of my ideas. But they charge 100 euros an hour. Even if I was a billionaire I would not pay for that.

So, I think I got to do it on my own.
Wow! My trainer is £36 an hour, and he’s qualified, etc. I’d hope there are cheaper options where you are. I wouldn’t pay €100 either.

Having a trainer has made a massive difference.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit smoking in December for what I hope is the last time. It has to be, this quit was awful.
If you don't like the gym, don't go. We had a family membership but by the time we drove 20 minutes into town, 20 minutes back, worked out, it was a couple hours gone, time is a commodity through the winter here. My kids are super busy, so I walk while I wait for them. Dance classes parents aren't allowed to watch and to be on the team, the kids do 4 hours of dance a week, 2, kids, 8 hours. Sometimes I come home too. Here there is guided forest bathing, walking/hiking through the forest with guided meditation. I used to play ball, was too busy this year I do a yoga class once a week, sometimes my girls come with me. Dark room, candles, chill, relaxing, but tough still.
Just a few thoughts. The world can be your gym.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Okay so here is the deal and I know it might be a bit weird.

I am not in shape. However, I am far from being fat or obese. Actually, I do not even really look fat. But I mean, my body is really affected to be honest and I really have zero stamina. I look like a healthy person, but I am not.

This makes me a little bit anxious and self-aware, because I will just look like a lazy, weak clue less person
Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey man, fat =/= unhealthy and vice versa.

We always think other people are looking at us when they're most likely too worried that we are looking at them.

If you're too nervous to go to the gym, why not just go on walks or do some stuff outside? Yoga in your living room or some body weight exercises to get moving. No form of exercise is better than any others as long as you're being safe about it and getting the blood moving.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

My suggestion would be to start walking. I began taking long, daily walks in early recovery and I'm still doing it and hope to continue forever. I had no expectations, other than I knew I needed to get out of the house. I was surprised how many benefits came my way. I did get stronger and gain stamina over time. I reconnected with my neighborhood and my neighhbors. My husband often walks with me and this became a great time for conversation.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
If you're too nervous to go to the gym,.
I know what you mean, but no one should be nervous to go to the gym. If you get the right gym, people will be welcoming. My workout is pretty intense, but I’ll always say hi or help newcomers. As I said, if I see an older or less fit person there, they get my respect and admiration,

And they might think I’m fit or know what I’m doing. The gym’s still agony to me especially after a week or two off ☹️
Old 09-09-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Okay so here is the deal and I know it might be a bit weird.

I am not in shape. However, I am far from being fat or obese. Actually, I do not even really look fat. But I mean, my body is really affected to be honest and I really have zero stamina. I look like a healthy person, but I am not.

This makes me a little bit anxious and self-aware, because I will just look like a lazy, weak clue less person
slow and steady wins the race. Even 5 minute bursts of exercise at home if you like is better than nothing,

6 bursts a day equal 30 mins. You can increase the minutes as you feel better. and eventually hopefully feel less self conscious when you head to the gym

D
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was in great shape when I was a drunk.

I could run a pretty nice mile time.

I'm twice that age now, but I can still get out there and run, at a vastly reduced pace, for hours at a time.

I don't think that exercise is a substitute for working a recovery plan, but it is a nice enhancement to recovery because it generates some positivity to our lives..
Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I don't think that exercise is a substitute for working a recovery plan, but it is a nice enhancement to recovery because it generates some positivity to our lives..
I'd call it a critical part of a recovery plan. The brain flat out needs exercise, as does the heart obviously. Mankind wasn't meant to be sedentary.